Hubba Hubba Hubs

BloggingFit
BloggingFit Posts: 919
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking at quality hub options for a decent wheel build and at the moment sitting between DT Swiss 180 and Chris King with Industry Nine an outsider. DT Swiss is a no brainer for reliability and weight however they don't have the bling factor of CK. CK appear to be a bit more high maintenance and they carry a bit more weight. Industry Nine are some what in the middle and the limited info I have found is mixed. Great pick up but some reliability issue.

Hope don't offer the colour way I'm after and I can compromise with the DT Swiss coming in white for the quality of the product as this colour will also work.

Interested in opinions and experience with the above really.
Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

Hope don't offer the colour way I'm after

In English, I believe that's simply 'colour'.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Hope don't offer the colour way I'm after

In English, I believe that's simply 'colour'.
    I'm feeling 'colour way' more...
  • Chris King are very expensive with a terrible warranty.
    It's just colour, not colour way unless you're some marketing goon.
  • Chris King are very expensive with a terrible warranty.
    This was the impression I was starting to get.
    It's just colour, not colour way unless you're some marketing goon.
    Said the engineer to the designer.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Looking at quality hub options for a decent wheel build and at the moment sitting between DT Swiss 180 and Chris King with Industry Nine an outsider. DT Swiss is a no brainer for reliability and weight however they don't have the bling factor of CK. CK appear to be a bit more high maintenance and they carry a bit more weight. Industry Nine are some what in the middle and the limited info I have found is mixed. Great pick up but some reliability issue.

Hope don't offer the colour way I'm after and I can compromise with the DT Swiss coming in white for the quality of the product as this colour will also work.

Interested in opinions and experience with the above really.

CK are expensive that doesn't mean they are bling (which they arn't) - do you want a bike that colour codes or do you want a bike that works well, reliable and light?
  • More the reliability and quality hence why I prefer the DT Swiss option. By bling I simply mean the greater colour options available but that's secondary.
  • What bikes it for?

I have a few pairs of DT240s hubs and they have always been great (How come you are looking at the 180's?). I have Chris Kings on my venge road bike and they are also very nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either but for general ease of maintenance the DT's win hands down. If you go with a 240s pairing with the oversized front hub they can be converted to suit any different axle combination going bar a lefty.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    New Middleburn hubs look nice... made up the road from you too ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • What bikes it for?
    Planned new build I'm keeping under wraps until I have the frame in my hands - you know the one though...
    I have a few pairs of DT240s hubs and they have always been great (How come you are looking at the 180's?). I have Chris Kings on my venge road bike and they are also very nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either but for general ease of maintenance the DT's win hands down. If you go with a 240s pairing with the oversized front hub they can be converted to suit any different axle combination going bar a lefty.
    I like the ceramic option for longevity and in theory they should run with less friction? Design wise the 240s appears to be slightly more robust however Enve still spec them as an option on their my DH orientated builds so the difference can't be by much.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Even closer to you.

Used to have their cranks back in the day. Wonder when they will release the hubs.
  • I'd save myself a bazilion pounds and buy 240s's and then fit ceramic bearings in them if the mood took me! Also as the 180 is a centerlock hub it would not be top of my list.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Said the engineer to the stylist
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    benpinnick wrote:
    Even closer to you.

Used to have their cranks back in the day. Wonder when they will release the hubs.

Should be soon.... I will have a set built onto some carbon rims hopefully within the next couple of weeks if you wanted borrow to try them out.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Tune Prince/Princess or Carbon Ti for colour co-ordinated lightweight bling hubs.

I was really underwhelmed by my Kings, 240s are excellent hubs, but 180s just aren't worth the price difference.

• Should be soon.... I will have a set built onto some carbon rims hopefully within the next couple of weeks if you wanted borrow to try them out.
    Thanks for the offer. Let me know and I will pop over and have a gander.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Tune Prince/Princess or Carbon Ti for colour co-ordinated lightweight bling hubs.

I was really underwhelmed by my Kings, 240s are excellent hubs, but 180s just aren't worth the price difference.
    Seen a set of Carbon Ti hubs built with LB rims and they looked great. Unfortunately little info on durability but only one way to find out... or play it safe.
  • njee20
    Their stuff is generally great, not heard of any issues and aware of a few people using them.

The trouble you'll have with any of those hubs is cost
    And availability of spares - Tune use a proprietary bearing in the centre of their hub. Free hub bodies will be expensive etc.

American Classic? Lighter than 240s (and 180s by the time you factor in heavier Centrelock rotors). Only black though.
  • Did look at American Classic but not that familiar. I understand you run a set of these? I think potentially the decision may well be DT 240s 6 bolt and take advantage of the 20mm Axle option on the front.
  • njee20
    I do indeed. They seem excellent, light, well priced (when bought from the US), compatible with all the different permutations of axle and freehub body out of the box. I was thinking about Carbon Ti or Extralite, but couldn't justify the (significant) additional expense, plus the complexity of getting straight pull spokes for the Extralites.

Why would you want a 20mm axle?
  • njee20 wrote:
    I do indeed. They seem excellent, light, well priced (when bought from the US), compatible with all the different permutations of axle and freehub body out of the box. I was thinking about Carbon Ti or Extralite, but couldn't justify the (significant) additional expense, plus the complexity of getting straight pull spokes for the Extralites.

Why would you want a 20mm axle?
    Will be going on a Fox 36 so makes sense to me to use the option.
  • njee20
    Aaah, then why the weight concern?

I'd definitley go DT240 for a bike like that I reckon, proven reliability.
  • njee20
    Don't get it myself, too much in the way of 'smoke and mirrors' justification for their funky machining.
  • Should have a bit an inside line of these over the weekend.