Bike Radar ride of the falling leaves

2»

Comments

• jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    jpower wrote:
    Have Palace to Palace ride the day after, but right in my neck of the woods, out of interest is there a min standard you expect?

Social ride, probably averaging 15 mph... to be honest I am not bothered about average speed. Of course if you can't go up a short 10% climb and need to walk all the way up, then maybe it's not for you

I would expect anyone who cycles regularly and is used to a bit of up and down to be able to do this
    Damn would have been fine, will lookout next time you run in the area.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Definitely interested. Will keep watching this thread for updates.
  • Right, so far we've got

1) Ugo
    2) KnightOTLTights ?
    3)Charlie ?
    4) Adam0bmx0?
    5) LanceW?
    6) TJgoodhew
    7) Calpol

Anybody else?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Calpol
    What's the latest on this? Need to plan next weekend.
  • It goes ahead... unless nobody is up for it, in which case it doesn't happen...
  • Right, so far we've got

1) Ugo
    2) KnightOTLTights ?
    3)Charlie ?
    4) Adam0bmx0?
    5) LanceW?
    6) TJgoodhew
    7) Calpol

Anybody else?

Whoever is up for this can please confirm?
  • I won't be able to make this unfortunately.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Hi all,

Count me in, see you at 9.00.

Phil
    More hills?
  • Calpol
    As it stands I am still up for this. Can we confirm the start point in Gt Missenden please. Travelling from Bedford area so need to plan the best route.
  • Good, three is company...

Great Missenden, Link Road car park.... I think it's a pound or so on a Saturday... I might be stingy enough to park the car on top of Frith Hill and cycle down... :wink:

9 AM sharp, I will be there before... will update on thursday/friday if there is any weather related issue. Would only cancel in case of a forecast for very heavy rain
  • We're now 5... :D
  • If you want to avoid the parking charge (which is 2.40 for 4 hours) you can leave your car on top of Frith Hill, there is a former pub Annie Bayleys... now closed, but the car park is still available and free of charge. It's just over a mile (but you might regret having to climb Frith hill on your way back... :twisted: )

Meeting point is still the car park in Link Road though
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Sorry everyone but you are down to four.

The OH has made me aware that we are supposed to be at a family do in the afternoon and as i am coming from essex im not going to be back in time :(

Enjoy and hopefully the weather holds out
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Still 5

I had not counted you in previously as you failed to confirm
  • Calpol
    Forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain and breezy. Not sure I will be driving an hour to ride in that. Will make a final decision later tonight.
  • Yep... there appears to be a particularly nasty band of rain (yellow in the BBC radar thingy, which normally means torrential) supposed to hit the area bang on in the late morning... after a month with no rain, is this what they call luck?

Not sure either, quite tempted to call the all thing off
  • OK, the decision is to postpone this... either the 11th or the 25th of October, hoping for better luck
  • Good decision... towards the late morning it came down pretty hard and for quite a while...

Rescheduled for next saturday the 11th same time, if anyone wants to join
  • cicada
    cicada Posts: 25
    Count me in.
    More hills?
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    I am interested particularly because of the seasonal splendour and because I haven't cycled that way for several months. However, the BBC f'cast for Saturday is not good. I am a "maybe". If I convert to a "YES" I will post.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • cicada
    Arrhh when I last looked the morning was ok, guess it's changed :(:(
    More hills?
  • At the moment it seems sunshine and light showers, which I don't mind... last week was a washout (10 mm of rain) which I did mind, hence I cancelled... I will update with a YES or NO tomorrow

At the moment the ride is ON
  • sorry, I went awol on this ... have had a few things on to be fair ...
    Next two weekends not so good as working both Saturdays and accompanying the missus in running events on both Sun morns.
    Hmmm, never mind.
  • I think we are on for this... forecast is not too bad... might have to tweak the route if needs be... but that's that

9 AM, see you there
  • cicada
    See you there then.
    More hills?
  • gbs
    I did try to PM Ugo about 10 mins ago but the system seemed unwilling to transmit. I was soaked by a downpour in Surrey this AM and I am not looking for a repeat tomorrow. Sunday will be dry!
  • I thought you Brits were supposed to be good soldiers... what's this thing of doubting your leader? I said it was going to be fine and fine it was... I could have left the showerproof at home
  • gbs
    Well, lucky you - defying two forecasters. I am kicking myself.
  • gbs wrote:
    Well, lucky you - defying two forecasters. I am kicking myself.

I have been checking forecasts for many years... you have to judge and discriminate between a bunch of showers, which is fine if you have a light showerproof coat and you might not even get any, as it was the case today and a solid band of rain the size of Wales (everything is always the size of Wales) which is going to hit you and probably hammer you for a couple of hours. These days with the radar animations is a lot easier