How much difference does losing weight make?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
And when I say losing weight...I mean from the rider :oops:

So: am embarking on a weight loss programme, but how much of a difference will it make to my riding?

Anyone been there, done that and got any tips?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Watching with interest....

Im not overweight - 6ft 11st11 and my weight is pretty stable. But im off to majorca for two days at the end of Sept and have two long days both with 10'000 ft climbing.

The plan is to get down to at least 11st 6 but i am really struggling to reduce my calorie intake. So i was also wondering if 1/2 stone would actually make any differnece ??
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • 6ft 11st11... Why would you want to lose weight? I went from 16st4lb to 14st dead in a year. Difference is unbelievable, its actually enjoyable now climbing big hills.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Yes! I went from around 12st 10lb to 12st dead, although I've put on a couple more pounds since that low. I can certainly feel the difference going up hills with the loss of those pounds, although on the flat is more a case of increased fitness overall.

The difficulty in keeping the pounds off is not to eat like a horse, or keep up a high weekly mileage.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Any significant loss of dead weight will help you get up the hills quicker. I lost about 10kg but did it in the same period that I became a lot fitter so it's hard to say which had the bigger impact, probably the fitness, but I do get up hills a lot better now.
    On the flat however, you'll probably notice very little difference.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As long as you don't lose weight to fast or become under weight you will notice a big difference, especially on the hills. Your fitness will also improve.If you lose half a stone that is about 3kg. Trying riding with a 3kg rucksack and then try without it ;)
  • SecretSam wrote:
    And when I say losing weight...I mean from the rider :oops:

So: am embarking on a weight loss programme, but how much of a difference will it make to my riding?
    Anyone been there, done that and got any tips?

How much weight are you planning on losing?
    As a general rule, the more weight you have to lose, the more impact it will have to your riding if you do lose it but there are a lot of variables.
    For instance, if you really cut it back to eating very little then you might actually have less energy for riding and see your performance go down.
    If you eat a good diet, keep your calorie count under your total daily expenditure and exercise then weight will come off.

Tracking your calorie intake and exercise output is a good way to lose the weight.
    I used 'My Fitness Pal' to track calories and used a Garmin to log the rides, which updates MFP.

I lost 10kg in 12 weeks doing around 30 miles a day on the bike, 5-6 days a week, as well as a few weight training sessions and a bit of running.
    Previously I had tried a bunch of different things, paleo diet and various weight training oriented ketogenic diets- they work fine until you stop and given how restrictive they are they are pretty difficult to continue doing *forever*- at least for me.
    This time I didn't deprive myself of anything- still had the odd ice-cream and cake.
    I'm teetotal so I didn't have to drop the booze- I've seen a lot of folk stumble over that (like my missus).

Good luck with it.
  • rch30
    rch30 Posts: 20
    I found this motivated me - say your BMI recommended weight for your height said you needed to lose 7 lb - get a carrier bag and put 3 bags of sugar in - carry every it around for a while and imagine carrying up some of the hills you do.
  • It's all subjective of course, because the ride you do while lighter will be several months later and in different conditions, most likely a different season and you'll have different levels of fitness and everything else.

I got down to 12st 2 in April and I was starting to find climbing easier - I could keep up with my mate sometimes too! One thing and another meant I went up to 13st 0 and climbing is difficult again - although if that's because it is more difficult or because I'm expecting it to be? Back down to 12st 7 just now. But I've found cutting out the snacks and watching my portion sizes is the most important thing.
  • Light is good, that's it IMO - we have mostly got too used to being too heavy.
    Whether it is a cause or an effect of speed - i.e., you are going faster cos you are lighter, or you are lighter cos you are going faster - it doesn't really matter: for most people losing a few lbs will do them good.
    For most cyclists, I reckon aiming for a BMI below 23 is probably a good thing.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm 10lbs heavier than last year and my times on climbs are well down on last year, flat sections seem roughly the same but I've really struggled on some hilly routes this year.
    I felt so fit last year and I always felt like I had something left in the tank but this year it feels like I'm running on reserve, I've done a lot more mileage this year but my diet has been shite so I know where the problem lies and it's up to me to correct it.
  • It really depends on how heavy to how light.

I say this as one of those that as a kid was thin as a rake no matter how much I ate and as an adult can stay pretty slim without worrying much, but carrying large amounts of excess weight obviously puts strain on your body. I would be interested to see the results of a proper controlled experiment, but it would be my assumption that it is not so much the smaller number on the scales that will make an obese person a better cyclist if they lose a large amount of weight.

As regards cyclists that are of a 'normal' weight or trying to get from 10% body fat to 5% (etc) - losing small amounts of weight to be better at climbing, weight even here is a hugely overrated factor. I do not think that many if not most amateurs are fit enough for any other factor to be particularly important here.

In terms of my own experience, I've put on a little weight in the last year or so (I'm 25 and 6'), in part due to overindulging and not training enough. The lowest I've been as an adult has been 10st3. Even now that my lowest tends to be more like 10st7 and right now I'm more like 11st2, I feel more powerful now than ever.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I have been off the bike three and a half weeks till saturday when i went out on the mtb with my daughter on a seat on the back, done 12 miles... She is about 19lbs and my god it was a stuggle going up hill!

I then done 42 miles yesterday on the road bike (on my own) and i was knackered after 20 miles and still had a few big hills left. My legs had nothng left at about 35 miles but i managed to get home. Probably due to lugging the littleun around the day before.
    I lost around half a stone to 12st 4lbs since geting the road bike 4 months ago and climbing was getting better, probably due to fitness more than the weight loss i imagine.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Weight loss made a big difference for me, i went from 12st 8 to 9st 13, I cut out a lot of junk food, not all but most, reduced portion sizes and ride as much as I can, not really long distances, 20 -30 but pretty much flat out. My overall average speed increased and climbing hills is a lot easier.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Weight loss makes an instant difference. Going uphill, gravity is working against you, so the heavier you are, the harder it is to defy gravity. I got myself down to the top end of the sprinter weight for my height and even that has made getting up hills a lot easier. I'd like to get down to the top end for climbers, but I don't want to look like a feeble weakling. (Chart in link in case the image doesn't insert.)
    http://www.wenzelcoaching.com/blog/cycl ... ght-chart/
    weight-chart.jpg
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Kajjal wrote:
    As long as you don't lose weight to fast or become under weight you will notice a big difference, especially on the hills. Your fitness will also improve.If you lose half a stone that is about 3kg. Trying riding with a 3kg rucksack and then try without it ;)

What's underweight? There are areas on BMI plots marked 'underweight' but nobody ever actually manages to explain why a weight in that zone is 'underweight' - ie that there is something negative about it.

I'm just under 6 foot 2 and weigh 9.5 stone (this is my natural weight - it hasn't changed at all in the last 33 years or so). I have 6 - 7% bodyfat. I am underweight. On a bike, on the climbs, I suspect 99/9% of people who are not 'underweight' would happily swap with me! :lol:

Of course, on the flat I'm crap but cycling on the flat is dull anyway!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Rolf F wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

What's underweight? There are areas on BMI plots marked 'underweight' but nobody ever actually manages to explain why a weight in that zone is 'underweight' - ie that there is something negative about it.

I'm just under 6 foot 2 and weigh 9.5 stone (this is my natural weight - it hasn't changed at all in the last 33 years or so). I have 6 - 7% bodyfat. I am underweight. On a bike, on the climbs, I suspect 99/9% of people who are not 'underweight' would happily swap with me! :lol:

Of course, on the flat I'm crap but cycling on the flat is dull anyway!

For me underweight is when you lose fitness, become injury prone and are ill more often through excessive weight loss. Being naturally slim is very different :)
  • Rolf F wrote:

I'm just under 6 foot 2 and weigh 9.5 stone (this is my natural weight - it hasn't changed at all in the last 33 years or so). I have 6 - 7% bodyfat. I am underweight.

Being overweight is more problematic than being underweight.
    It also matters how much underweight.
    It depends why a person is underweight- simply not eating and not exercising is significantly more of a problem than eating enough and exercising, for instance.
    A lack of bone health, immune system issues (more prone to colds and flu etc), being prone to infections and a risk of heart attack are some of the potential issues of being underweight but again it depends on why a person is underweight.
    Endurance athletes are generally less at risk than someone who is simply malnourished.

Body fat percentage is worth considering too.
    Competition body builders, who are not underweight but might have as little as 3% body fat, are at risk of immune issues and heart health.
    Other issues like cancer crop up but probably more attributed to steroid use.
    I know a couple of guys who are always sick when they are cutting- the immune system is compromised.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    BMI is bollocks. The medical profession is trying to move away from it as a measurement of someone's ideal body mass. A fit muscular person could be classed as overweight using the BMI method. The preferred measurement is the waist v height formula. Your height shouldn't be any less than 2 x your waist measurement.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I've lost over 3 stone. First rides out any hill I would be miles behind.

Over the year I became faster and faster as I lost weight and gained fitness.

Its made a HUGE difference for me.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    I lost over 20kg in 11 months, changed diet, lifestyle and included 6 days a week of exercise of at least an hour a day. Fittest I've been since I gave up being a professional yachtsman.

On a bike the difference is immense, rather than hiding from climbs, I actively seek them out and enjoy the challenge.

Off the bike, I'm more positive, active, happy, energetic, etc...and hopefully I've increased my chance of having a fuller existence beyond what I was potentially heading for.

Best life changing experience I've made.
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Lost 11kg this year and it's made a massive difference. There's a strong correlation between my times up my local training hill and my weight loss.

Think the last couple of weeks will have resulted in some gain though - been away for work a lot and not cycled much :(
  • I recently moved to the south Down coast, in amongst the Mourne mountains. They're hardly the Himalayas, I'll grant you, but after a ride I could tell you my weight to the pound. Weight makes a massive difference to riding, plus once you get your weight down, it's an excuse to get the bike on a diet too.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Last year we had a trip to the Alps. At 13st 4lbs I struggled up the Petit St Bernard (both sides), the Roseland and from Bourg to Val d'Isere (the Iseran was still shut with snow). I failed on the Colle San Carlo!!

Last week we went again and at 12st 2lbs I completed the San Carlo, the Madeleine (north east side), the PSB twice from Italy one from Bourg, the Roseland/PSB and did both La Plagne and the PSB on the same day.

Losing weight allowed me to prepare better and ride up steeper/longer hills.

Go for it.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I lost 25 lbs in 3 months and don't go any faster. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

I think in my case, on the ludicrous diet I am on, I lost strength and it balanced out.

That is, I have been eating so little biking just hasn't been something I have been doing anything like as intensely as when I was eating normally.

2/3 of the way there now lol, another 12lb and I should have my abs back, then I've got to build up my strength again without getting fat.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Manc33 wrote:
    I lost 25 lbs in 3 months and don't go any faster. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

I think in my case, on the ludicrous diet I am on, I lost strength and it balanced out.

That is, I have been eating so little biking just hasn't been something I have been doing anything like as intensely as when I was eating normally.

2/3 of the way there now lol, another 12lb and I should have my abs back, then I've got to build up my strength again without getting fat.

Unless there is a medical reason for reducing your activity level I'd start increasing the intensity now rather than wait until you've lost another 12lbs or so. It is likely to be harder to get back from a lower fitness level especially going into the winter months.
  • i struggle with this and get demotivated. i ride a fair bit, but dont seem to lose weight. and really struggle with the whole diet thing to the point where i have been having salads for lunch but by the time evening comes round i get that super hungry feeling - lightheadedness. what am i doing wrong?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Don't "diet", just eat sensibly. If you feel lightheaded because you haven't eaten enough then eat some more than just a salad.
  • Some people lose a lot of weight from cycling, others do not. I'm no expert, but I would think it depends on various aspects of your lifestyle and your metabolism. I think what is clear is that you must rely on diet first for your weight loss.

But what do you eat on a typical day, if you don't mind me asking?
  • typical day has been cereal, such as raisin wheats or porridge - with some sugar. then maybe some fruit as a snack then a salad at lunch so a crispy salad with a bit of chicken and tomatoes in, then some fruit in the afternoon - problem i have is by the time i get home i 'feel' so hungry that i just eat whatever is there not ridiculous amounts, but it demotivates me as im trying to be good and then just feel so crap from trying to eat healthy!
  • It's not easy - I'm not going to pretend that it is.

First thing I'd suggest is ditching the sugar, or at least swapping for some sweet fruit instead (e.g. dried apricots, dates, prunes). Breakfast cereals unfortunately often have lots of added sugar; porridge is much better, though I appreciate it takes a little longer to make.

Second thing is eat plenty of good protein - and stock up on this rather than carbs - e.g. have some natural yogurt and/or whey protein with your breakfast.

Third thing is have some good snacks - and have them handy. A handful of dried fruit, fresh fruit, nuts, etc - as long as you don't go overboard with the portions, these are great for keeping you going. You don't have to be starving all the time or light headed.

Fourth thing is drink lots of water. I also recommend drinking green tea and/or herbal teas - some people find that they help with weight loss, but I feel healthier for drinking them, which helps.

And the last thing is that you don't have to eat cardboard and be miserable. Your body doesn't actually want to be fat. Get out and cycle plenty, relax and deal with your stress positively, and get enough sleep. You may experience dramatic results in short order as some do, but you may well not. Don't give up.