Cleaning & maintenance of Hollotech 11 system?

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

After a few rides after cleaning the hollotech 11 crank it begins to squeak (road bike),it mainly happens when going uphill or putting pressure.

The bearing seems to be good and its a pressfit and not the dreaded BB30.

I am just wondering how exactly is the right way to clean and regrease it?

Comments

• BB 30 is a press fit...

If you have HT2 with threaded bottom bracket etc you don't have to do any maintenance... the bearings are inaccessible inside the cups
    left the forum March 2023
  • davoj
    BB 30 is a press fit...

If you have HT2 with threaded bottom bracket etc you don't have to do any maintenance... the bearings are inaccessible inside the cups

Thanks Ugo,

Yea its a pressfit but not a BB30 pressfit, I was wondering do you actually grease the Hollotech 11 crank & spindle it self or do you leave dry?
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Leave it dry it, you will only attract more dirt to it otherwise
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Official line is to grease the axle - it's not going to attract much dirt, as it's pretty well sealed with the crank arms pressed up tight against the BBcup shields. Also, having a layer of grease between the axle and the shields effectively waterproofs it, and stops dirty water working its way inside.

Whatever your feelings on that, at the very least you should grease the splined interface on the non-drive-side.

As for the creaking - lots of folks seem to have problems with press-fit standards of all sorts developing creaks, but check that all the following are cleaned, greased and properly tightened as well:

1. Pedal threads
    2. "Preload" bolt (loosen pinch bolts first)
    3. Pinch bolts
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Some bikes employ diversionary tactics, sending you towards the BB when in fact they are busily working on pitting pedal bearings or loosening chainrings bolts; some are even audacious enough to loosen QR skewers! Sneaky, sneaky bastards.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    As above, a light greasing of the axle.
    It might be the bottom bracket press fitting itself squeaking in the bottom bracket shell. Refitting the BB with a touch of silicone grease can help. Also make sure the chainring bolts are tight enough.
  • davoj
    jermas wrote:
    As above, a light greasing of the axle.
    It might be the bottom bracket press fitting itself squeaking in the bottom bracket shell. Refitting the BB with a touch of silicone grease can help. Also make sure the chainring bolts are tight enough.

Thanks,

I was wondering would greasing the axle actually cause a new squeak instead of getting rid of one.But i will try above.

Cheers all.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    davoj wrote:
    I was wondering would greasing the axle actually cause a new squeak instead of getting rid of one.But i will try above.

Highly unlikely - grease will make it more likely that everything is tightened properly, and also damps the vibrations that cause squeaks.