newbie Looking at upgrading components

joddi
joddi Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
I currently ride a trek 3900d 2012 and i am looking to upgrade my brakes to shimano slx m675 however the brake lever and gear shifters are a combined unit, i know i will have to buy new gear shifters, so i am thinking of upgrading the gears to a 9/10speed cassette would this be ok to do or would i have to change the whole drivetrain?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Helps to post a link or list the current spec, but assuming 8 speed you will need new shifters whatever you do, a new chain and cassette if you go 9 speed, and a new mech as well if you go 10 speed.
    Personally I would just find some 8 speed shifters, unless the rest is trashed, and spend the rest on new forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How far do you intend to go? The 3000-series frame isn't great so you may have to consider that it's better to sell the bike and get a replacement using that extra money.

Tyres, forks, wheels and then other stuff is the best way to upgrade, but if you want Hydraulic discs for that bike I'd suggest either Deore or getting something used (and much cheaper) would be more appropriate.

As CD says if you have 8 speed now and have to get shifters then going 9 speed with new shifters, cassette and chain (and sometimes you end up having to change the front mech, although not always) makes most sense, or add the mechs now and go 10 speed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have attached a link for the spec, thanks for the help, I wanted to start the upgrading with the brakes because they are quite poor, I'm not just looking at purchasing hydraulic brakes but anything better than the ones that are currently on the bike.

Changing the gears only came about because of I knew I would need new shifters but wasn't sure about the which components are required to complete a upgrade of a higher speed.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/20 ... /3900_disc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a pair of Avid BB5 cable disc brake callipers for sale, a bit tatty to look at (salty road use) but in perfect working order, they are on ebay right now (userID mtbmania) PM me if they are of interest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.