Using road furniture

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Came across these gifs and was reminded how cool that move was when watching it live.

Top tactics tip: Coming into the final km with one other rider, show your pain face and look of hopelessness, then attack full gas on the other side of road furniture to then roll in for the win :D

tumblr_n5hfcaCh4t1swtjjuo2_400.gif
tumblr_n5hfcaCh4t1swtjjuo1_400.gif
tumblr_n5hfcaCh4t1swtjjuo3_400.gif
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Excellent!

Oscar Freire had a couple of good ones, Tour de Suisse sticks to mind - bunny hopped over the central kerb so he could around the roundabout the short way.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Yes, I remember watching that exact race and thinking what a masterpiece of race craft it was
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Sagan did the Freire move too

LT6YLME.gif
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The best one I ever saw was Cancellara in the Tour in 09, going over the furniture to make sure he got into the echelons
  • My two least favourite pro tour teams but a pretty sweet way to do a number on someone :)
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    OP was the thing that sprang to mind as soon as I saw that title.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • 07 Tour I think, Sandy Casar goes to the left of a reservation, everyone else goes right. Think he'd hit a dog earlier in the day too.

@1minute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGI8z-r17c
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • RichN95.
    Frenchie. What was the race in your original post?
  • didn't Cadel use the other side of the road ion his Worlds win?

Superb story in 3 Gifs above. Chapeau FF
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Frenchie. What was the race in your original post?

final stge of 4 days of Dunkirk.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I like the Freire and Sagan move the best, as I know I'd still be searching the gutter for my teeth while the other riders were crossing the line if I even considered that sort of manoeuvre!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    the Sagan move showed some pretty awesome bike skills, no doubt the commentator mentions the fact he "used to ride a mountain bike" somewhere.

The first Gif is pretty good, that's one hell of a swerve, I bet his tyres were screaming at him!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I remember Stybar I think bumping a curb to take a corner faster.
  • RichN95.
    For every Freire or Sagan, there's an Offredo:

1366049167_cyclist_hits_traffic_sign__yoann_offredo.gif
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    sjmclean wrote:
    sthilzy-2013.11.08.23.36.42-1-Zden%C4%9Bk%20%C5%A0tybar%20uses%20his%20cyclocross%20skills%20to%20open%20up%20the%20line%20around%20a%20corner.gif
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    RichN95 wrote:
    For every Freire or Sagan, there's an Offredo:

1366049167_cyclist_hits_traffic_sign__yoann_offredo.gif

Ouch. That's gotta hurt in the morning.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    adr82 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    sthilzy-2013.11.08.23.36.42-1-Zden%C4%9Bk%20%C5%A0tybar%20uses%20his%20cyclocross%20skills%20to%20open%20up%20the%20line%20around%20a%20corner.gif
    It looks very cool, but he doesn't actually gain anything worthwhile on the Sky rider given the effort and risk of looking very stupid. I guess if he'd attacked out of the corner the extra few feet would have helped, but otherwise I don't really see the point.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Shouldn't be allowed either. The gif above that is. We've seen enough of injuries this season due to clashes riders and spectators between.
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Which Classic was it this year where Hayden Roulston attempted a kerb hop and took down half his own team including Cancellara?
  • RichN95.
    DL1987 wrote:
    Which Classic was it this year where Hayden Roulston attempted a kerb hop and took down half his own team including Cancellara?
    Paris-Roubaix I think
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    tumblr_n43noiaaj31qbw072o1_400.gif
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Years ago I recall seeing a clip of Roger DeVlaeminck in a race starting in Gent, drop both wheels into a tramline ride along it for some distance before nonchalantly hopping out - he and his brother were awesome bikehandlers.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    That Roulston one is fantastic! What a tit!!!
  • I presume these manoeuvres are now illegal (if the rider's wheels touch the pavement)?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I presume these manoeuvres are now illegal (if the rider's wheels touch the pavement)?
    At least some of them are probably technically illegal under this UCI rule:
    1.2.064 bis It is strictly prohibited to use sidewalks/pavements, paths or cycle paths alongside the roadway that do not form part of the course. Non-respect of this requirement is sanctioned in accordance with Article 12.1.040.14 bis, without prejudice to any other sanctions that may apply.
    I don't think they bother enforcing it very often though.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Was at a regional crit a few weeks ago and one guy broke away early on. It was a very twisty turny course and every lap the leader would bump up over a 1", or so, curb and on to a small parking area in order to take a turn just a little bit faster than the rest. It was working fine for most of the race as no one else seemed to want to try it. 2 laps to the win and he rolls the tubular. Lot of speculation about his going up and down that little curb 40 or 50 times and whether it may have loosened the glue a bit.
  • Macaloon wrote:

To me it looks like he accidentally loses his line and spots he's going to hit the kerb, tries belatedly to hop up, and fails?

Though the gif starts a second or two too late to be sure.
  • Macaloon wrote:

The Kiwi ambassador to Switzerland is still prostrate on the floor of the Bundeshaus in Bern.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    The Kiwi ambassador to Switzerland is still prostrate on the floor of the Bundeshaus in Bern.
    Unlikely. The politican system in New Zealand is a rugbocracy - entirely run by and for rugby. The ambassador to Switzerland is most likely a 20 stone Samoan.