Garmin 200 and Courses

akc42
akc42 Posts: 43
edited August 2014 in Road general
Yesterday I downloaded a course I made on RidewithGPS to my Garmin 200 and tried to follow it. This was the first time I had tried this. NOTE this was a route I planned on RideWithGPS not one I had ridden before - so there would be no speed data with it.

Most of the time it worked brilliantly, It was autoscrolling between the different measurements at the bottom, and after calories, it would should be the breadcrumb of the next 300 ft of my course. I also learnt that I could hit the "page" button (bottom left) and jump ahead. However, one time I reached a junction in the middle of nowhere down a country lane and stopped because I was unsure where to go. However when I paged to the breadcrumb, it then decided to show me the whole course in one go. Since that was 50 miles - the important detail that would have been obvious from a 300ft view was missing and I had nowhere to go. I couldn't figure out how to get my 300 ft view back.

I had taken the precaution of pre-downloading this route from RideWithGps to an app on my phone called Cue Sheet. I had already made a mistake with this route - sending me down a track that was private property with a large sign saying "Trespassers will be Prosecuted" - and with this app I had been able to look a the map and work out how to take a detour and get back on track. Unfortunately this time, I was too far in the middle of nowhere going down a road with several turnings on it so although at the junction there were road names at the side of the road, the map didn't have them on and I was unable to work at at which one I was at.

In the end, I took a guess at a direction - and within a short distance the garmin announced I was off route. So I turned round and went the other way.

However the question remains - why did I loose the 300 ft view - was it because I had stopped. Is there anyway I can configure the garmin not to then give me the whole course, or to switch (with some other button presses) to that view.

The other thing - through out the ride it was telling me I was either ahead or behind some mythical other rider. But it wasn't just one time but two times.

Needless to say I have looked that the manual - but that is next to useless, it hardly mentions routes and certainly not things about the scales of the maps, or what these ahead and behind times mean. As I mention above - there as no speed data in the route - so is the Garmin guessing a speed for the virtual rider. What value does it use, and can I change it?

Comments