Running Tubeless on.....

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,574
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Mavic Aksium Race and Shimano R500. Does anyone know whether this can be done? I think the Shimano is a 2009 model and the Aksium a 2010 or 2011. I'm hoping to use them for cross and being a heavier rider (80kg or so) I'd like to go tubeless to run at lower pressures than I can risk with tubes. If it is possible what will I need? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Read these:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tubeles ... mendations

Essentially anything can be converted, but you'll have to experiment to make sure it's safe. The critical thing seems to be building up the rim bed to get a tight enough fit, and using tyres that others have had success with.

Btw, Superstar valves are nice and cheap.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    There are tubeless ready rim (with the channel), tubeless compatible ones (narrow ridges) and standard clincher rims... in the latter case you'd have to build up the rim bed so that it lays closer to the edge of the rim, or the tyre will burp, it will be difficult to bring to pressure and it might potentially even burst off the rim.

I think both your wheelsets are very traidtional in terms of rim design and belong to the latter category...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574
    Thanks. It all sounds a bit pricey and a faff for the limited amount of cross racing I'll be doing. I might just stick with tubes and hope for the best!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I haven't done those rims but I've done a few std. clincher rims now and most of the time they are fine. The key issues are:

- getting the spoke holes sealed properly with a decent tape. I use 19mm 3M crossweave which is tough, sticky, lasts well and is much cheaper than Stans tape (see ebay). Clean the rim thoroughly before sticking the tape (I roughen the surface with wet&dry then clean it with IPA) and run two or three runs around, pulling it tight as it sticks.

- some rims are too narrow to fit the valve and both tyre beads inside so keep an eye on that. I've had to trim the valves on some occasions.

- Stans valves are good. I also glue them in so they are more robust and seal well.

- getting the tyre to inflate is the main issue. I use a compressor. If it doesn't inflate first time then you may need to build up the rim bed with more tape, as suggested.

- use 50:50 water/washing up liquid suds to help seal the bead.

- if it still doesn't play ball then Stans do a CX rimstrip which should seal it up okay but again may not suit narrow rims. Adds weight though.

- you could also go ghetto, with a 6450b tube but it's fiddly so I don't bother with that any more.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    definitely go tubeless for CXing. Lower pressures, better grip and no punctures.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer