Which bib shorts?

markc1984
markc1984 Posts: 44
edited September 2014 in Road general
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new pair of decent bib shorts and was wondering what you would recommend? I have £100 to spend, give or take! I have owned a pair of DHB Aeron Pro bib shorts up until recently but they were ruined in an accident so am now looking for a better replacement, something that offers greater comfort. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Mark.

Comments

• Of all the shorts i own, a altura one is most comfortable. Pearl Izumi and endura also makes good shorts. Found them generally better than dhb. I can't remember the exact names from the top of my head so this post may not offer much help.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2014
    The obvious suggestion would be the Assos S7 neo pro bibs. There is also a free crash repair scheme so you wouldn't be in the same situation you are now with having to buy new after a crash.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I really like these Polaris Venoms. http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Polaris-Venom-P ... oCM9nw_wcB

Comfort wise they are excellent and well within budget.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Giordana's with the Cirro OF chamois, FRC's for example. Far superior to Assos Uno's in every respect IME. Currenly on offer at Ribble:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... iorzbbs377
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I bought a pair of unbranded bibs from 23C in Stony Stratford with their own logo on them. They're brilliant, cost £69. If you're desperate to spend a ton I'd recommend these and a few bottles of nice red to make up the balance.
  • Thanks for all of the responses guys. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind!

What has caught my eye is the Giordana bib short that jordan_217 has mentioned about, it can be bought at a very competitive price at Ribble and they look very well made.

Anyone else had experience with these shorts? I'm a 34cm waist, 42" or so chest and 183cm in height, are quoted sizes (stated on Ribbles website) accurate or will I have to go a size higher?

Unfortunately the XXL version in all black is out of stock so am forced to go with the XL version, not too fussed on the red striped version. Quoted waist size is between 32-34" and 40-42", I would say I am on the larger end of these figures so am slightly concerned about the fit, what do you reckon?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    MarkC1984 wrote:
    Thanks for all of the responses guys. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind!

What has caught my eye is the Giordana bib short that jordan_217 has mentioned about, it can be bought at a very competitive price at Ribble and they look very well made.

Anyone else had experience with these shorts? I'm a 34cm waist, 42" or so chest and 183cm in height, are quoted sizes (stated on Ribbles website) accurate or will I have to go a size higher?

Unfortunately the XXL version in all black is out of stock so am forced to go with the XL version, not too fussed on the red striped version. Quoted waist size is between 32-34" and 40-42", I would say I am on the larger end of these figures so am slightly concerned about the fit, what do you reckon?

I have the Giordana FRC as club kit, mine are size L and I think that is right for me at 1m85 / 33" waist. I could probably get into size M for waist but need L due to my height. I would have thought you would be fine with L, XL at the most.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Castelli Free Aero are fairly heavily discounted at Wiggle at the moment and might be worth a try. I've just ordered some. I've previously tried DHB Aeron Pro (pretty good for a while but didn't last as long as I would have expected), Giordana FRC (comfy even though the pad's a little bulky) and Assos Uno something or other (Very comfortable most of the time but sometimes chafes for a reason I've been unable to figure out).
    I believe Castelli sizing is a bit ridiculous with the advice generally being to order 2 sizes up. I usually buy Large in most brands. I've never ordered XXL clothing before and I'm not at all confident it's going to be a good fit. If not I'll have to return them and try something else. I really hope it's the clothing and not me that's the wrong size!