Wheelset upgrade

craigdavies
craigdavies Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I have a 2013 Giant Defy 1 with the stock PR-2 rims. I would like to upgrade the wheels to something lighter, I have a budget of around £500. I have looked at carbon rims 40 to 50mm, they look the part but concerned about crosswinds, I just want to achieve quicker acceleration, easier climbing and they have to look good (know the last bit isn't essential but we all like to look the part).

So what recommendations and experience can you share with me please?

Thanks,

Craig.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    If you want lighter, why looking at bigger rims? Is it not counterintuitive that a 50 mm rim is heavier than a shallower one?
    40-50 mm rims that are safe to ride within your budget are heavy as hell
    left the forum March 2023
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    If you want lighter, why looking at bigger rims? Is it not counterintuitive that a 50 mm rim is heavier than a shallower one?
    40-50 mm rims that are safe to ride within your budget are heavy as hell

Agreed.... Aero rims won't climb faster...
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    Wheelsmith or planet x should be in range, don't disgard tubs as the hassle factor isn't as much as you may think and get a better, lighter set for your money
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I wouldn't be too concerned about cross winds. It has been windy all summer and I have riding my 50mm deep u shaped carbon rims all summer and not got blown about once even in a very windy race at trinity park in Ipswich and that was the windiest ride of the year.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • If you're looking for a factory wheel which will feel lighter etc then I would go with Shimano RS81's unless you're a fair bit heavier than average.

Hubs that just work (come rain or shine) and rims that are very light make for a wheel that feels great in most conditions. Their only weakness really is that with so few spokes they can flex under power causing brake rub (which is why I wouldn't recommend them for larger riders).