RIP Igor Decraene

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Last years junior world TT champ died last night, age 18.

Very sad - Saying big talent seems pointless.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1 ... r-Decraene
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Somewhere said it was after a training crash. Whatever the cause, that is incredibly sad.
  • iainf72
    It's being reported as suicide.

Terrible
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's being reported as suicide.

Terrible
    Conflicting reports. It seems he got hit by a train. Whether it was intentional or an accident is unknown.

Terrible either way.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    He commited suicide, i,m afraid. Terrible loss to the cycling world. He had immense talent.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I feel sorry for his family. No individual should put their family through the pain that results from suicide. I just cannot get to grips with people who kill themselves. Very sad.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    I feel sorry for his family. No individual should put their family through the pain that results from suicide. I just cannot get to grips with people who kill themselves. Very sad.

Whilst it's terrible for his family and friends, remember that there was a human who thought things were so bad that this was the only solution (if it's a suicide) These things are always tragic.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited August 2014
    Yes it is a terrible shame he should do that to himself. For me there is no justification for murdering yourself. I don't want to get into a long discussion about it, but let us just say it is not a spur of the moment opinion (mine that is).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ademort
    Yes it is a terrible shame he should do that to himself. For me there is no justification for murdering yourself. I don't want to get into a long discussion about it, but let us just say it is not a spur of the moment opinion.

When you read all the available information about this young man and his career to date you just cannot understand why he has commited suicide. I really feel for his family and friends.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Terribly sad news.

'Suicide is selfish' is an attitude from the dark ages frenchfighter. Poor mental health is a crippling, and often fatal thing.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    To those posting please remember this post is to remember the loss of a fellow rider who will be missed by fellow cyclists and mourned for by family and friends.

Not to argue about the circumstances surrounding the passing, please use another part of BR if you wish to open such a debate.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Sad news
  • I would like to echo Iain's thoughts. This young person had already achieved so much in their life - what could have been?

Terrible, nothing we can say will console the family. Rest in peace.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Double post at worst possible time.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • iainf72
    His family have stated it was an accident and not a suicide.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    His family have stated it was an accident and not a suicide.

Shocking how incorrect the cycling press can be.
    Always want to be first with the news.
    With something as sensitive as this you would imagine they take their time and get it right.

Can you post the link?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ademort
    I,ve read that story and it comes down to this. Igor attended a birthday party with some friends and apparently was in high spirits. He consumed a considerable amount of alcohol and left the party on his own. He was hit by a train a short time later. Apparently he was standing in the middle of the railway line when he was hit. In order to get to the spot where Igor was hit you have to climb a steep banking as there is no crossing anywhere near that point where the train passes.As a result of inquiries and the information to date authorities are saying it was suicide.
    The family of Igor do not believe and do not want to believe that Igor took his own life.They say that friends who attended the party with Igor said he was very happy , had discussed his future and mentioned that he had enrolled in higher school education.
    As i mentioned in an earlier post i just cannot understand why someone with seemingly the world at his feet could ever do this. Also mentioned above is mental illness. You just dont know what this man must have been thinking at the time.I have a great deal of sympathy for the family they must be going through hell at the moment.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ademort wrote:
    They say that friends who attended the party with Igor said he was very happy , had discussed his future and mentioned that he had enrolled in higher school education.
    As i mentioned in an earlier post i just cannot understand why someone with seemingly the world at his feet could ever do this. Also mentioned above is mental illness. You just dont know what this man must have been thinking at the time.I have a great deal of sympathy for the family they must be going through hell at the moment.
    Thanks for your balanced local report.

RIP Igor Decraene, but here is another point of view.
    Young People Party and talking about his own education at the beginning and then after a few drinks (and possible Dope) that the mind is very happy that he maybe thinks he is superman.
    Who can tell at a party.
    I would think he left this world in a very happy state without depression being involved,
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Frenchfighter, you have a long proud history of posting bollocks and usually I just ignore it, but on this one occasion you've got a bite from me so chapeau.
    Seriously, stop posting shit about issues surrounding mental health. Yes his family will be going through a horrific time, but his world was dark enough for him (if he did actually commit suicide?) to take his own life with seemingly the world at his feet. Me, I'm happily married, enjoy my job, am in two cool bands and have other pretty cool hobbies. My mental health issues have seen me question my marriage, want to quit my job, want to quit my bands and give up on my hobbies. It has also seen me very briefly consider suicide as a viable option. I don't want that to be the case, and thankfully treatment has been very successful for me, but depression is horrific. Go back to doper worshipping on other threads.
  • Tom BB wrote:
    Frenchfighter, you have a long proud history of posting **** and usually I just ignore it, but on this one occasion you've got a bite from me so chapeau.
    Seriously, stop posting shoot about issues surrounding mental health. Yes his family will be going through a horrific time, but his world was dark enough for him (if he did actually commit suicide?) to take his own life with seemingly the world at his feet. Me, I'm happily married, enjoy my job, am in two cool bands and have other pretty cool hobbies. My mental health issues have seen me question my marriage, want to quit my job, want to quit my bands and give up on my hobbies. It has also seen me very briefly consider suicide as a viable option. I don't want that to be the case, and thankfully treatment has been very successful for me, but depression is horrific. Go back to doper worshipping on other threads.

This. Well said.
    You might have had a response from a pro cyclist on Twitter, you may even have chatted to a 'journo', but ultimately, you still know nothing. You're not an insider, no matter how much you wish you are.
  • Tom I am sorry you have had a few issues and hope you have got over them for more or less good.

I happen to know all about depression. Several people in my family have had it. I also know someone very well who has worked in the Maudsley for over a decade (the best mental health clinic in the UK).

Like I said my opinion is not spur of the moment reaction.

You do not have to be mentally ill to commit suicide.

I stand by my comments. I cannot condone suicide.

I am aware of some of the reasons people are depressed, or those that think they are. They should go and live in Syria, Palestine or some 3rd World country in poverty, watch their kids be turned into soldiers and their family indiscrimantely murdered then they can come and talk to me about hardship.

Don't judge me as you know nothing of who I am.

-

Ademort thanks for the info.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I happen to know all about depression.

I am aware of some of the reasons people are depressed, or those that think they are. They should go and live in Syria, Palestine or some 3rd World country in poverty, watch their kids be turned into soldiers and their family indiscrimantely murdered then they can come and talk to me about hardship.

Quite clearly you don't!!!
  • The last was aimed at those who say they are depressed (and take time off and take drugs) but who are not. I stand by it. Drugs for depression are not to be taken lightly as I am sure you know and the time off is counter productive. Those who have genuine mental illness in the form of depression is another story. I don't condone suicide in either.
    Contador is the Greatest