FSA Crank and Press fit….

markwb79
markwb79 Posts: 937
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a FSA Gossamer crank and a BB86 press fit frame.

I have a couple of problems with it…

Currently have the FSA Press fit BB installed. But I can't get it out and in the past have had to take it to my LBS to remove the press fit BB. I can't seem to understand what tool I need to remove it?

Second issue….I find the FSA bottom bracket really bad, I don't think it lasts particularly well, and without being able to take the bearings out, its impossible to service the bearings. Is there a different brand that would fit? A friend has said that the Shimano Press fit BB works fine, but I wanted to check on here first…

Any help would be amazing.
Thanks
Mark
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You basically drift the old one out with a metal rod/piece of pipe. You can swap the bearings, but if the bearings are rough there's not much you can do. You can use a Shimano or KCNC BB86 BB with a Gossamer crank no problem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markwb79
    Monty Dog wrote:
    You basically drift the old one out with a metal rod/piece of pipe. You can swap the bearings, but if the bearings are rough there's not much you can do. You can use a Shimano or KCNC BB86 BB with a Gossamer crank no problem.

Thanks, I tried pushing them out from the inside, but it doesn't work. I ruined the seating of the bearing.
    It works fine on Campag in the past, but not now…

Just so I know 100%, which Shimano will work?

Thanks again
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been using Gossamer cranks with HT2 BBs for a number of years - will probably need a nudge with a mallet to get it to slide-in fully on first install.

Shimano BB71-41B is BB part no.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markwb79
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I've been using Gossamer cranks with HT2 BBs for a number of years - will probably need a nudge with a mallet to get it to slide-in fully on first install.

Shimano BB71-41B is BB part no.

Perfect thanks a lot. Looks exactly the same as the FSA one. But will give it a go.

Is it possible to remove the bearings on their own and then replace them? Or do you have to renew the whole unit each time?

Thanks again
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012