Frame defect

liamo1988
liamo1988 Posts: 6
edited September 2014 in Road general
Hi,

I have had my focus cayo for one week from new. and after my second ride on it I noticed these whitish marks on the frame, they appear to be under the clear coat finish as I can't feel any dents or cracks they feel smooth like the rest of the frame. I have sent photos to the LBS and Focus to see if they can shed any light.

Does anyone have any Ideas on what they might be?

thanks.
34isfth.jpg
11ca0c2.jpg
aag8pv.jpg
29eg6eu.jpg

Comments

• I had a kind of similar thing with a Scott years ago (CR1).

Lots of micro bubbles under the laquering. Scott replaced the frame without a question.....well, actually gave me the option of replacement or betterment upgrade to the then new Addict (which I took).

If it's bugging you, do the same.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cosmetic flaws due to frame not being clean prior to application of lacquer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I can't possibly imagine being bothered by those little dots...

I'm pretty sure the OP was asking what the marks were - not whether or not you'd be bothered by them..... :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Rolf F wrote:
    I can't possibly imagine being bothered by those little dots...

I'm pretty sure the OP was asking what the marks were - not whether or not you'd be bothered by them..... :wink:

:lol:
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    If that's only a week old take it back. If they are underneath the clear coat there can be no argument about a replacement
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Shipley wrote:
    If that's only a week old take it back. If they are underneath the clear coat there can be no argument about a replacement

Never say never. :wink:
  • Never accept a sub standard product from a company that values their good name. Speak to/contact the right person, be friendly but persistent, it usually works.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Well if they bother you take it back but I think it's fair to say you won't be damaging their reputation if they don't give you a replacement. Unless the cycling world is full of halfwits.

You make a strong case to suggest it is.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Well if they bother you take it back but I think it's fair to say you won't be damaging their reputation if they don't give you a replacement. Unless the cycling world is full of halfwits.

Luke, I think you are being a bit unfair to the poster. It is a new bike, just imagine you spent a few grand on something and it had a cosmetic defect, I personally would be disappointed and would be looking for some kind of a discount at least if not a replacement frame.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • luke, i have to be honest but since you have stopped cycling your posts on here always seem to be really negative and quite aggressive, almost to the point where you are trolling.
    Everything ok?
  • If I bought a bike that came with those marks I'd be asking for a replacement. You spend your hard earned on something like that, you don't expect it to come with imperfections, especially ones you can't actually remedy yourself. It's a matter of principal.
  • To be fair to the OP, I don't blame him that he wants his frame to be spot on. It was bought with his hard earned cash and I bet the bike wasn't cheap either. So you would definitely expect it to be perfect and would question any faults that would arise.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set