South West London & broken glass.

mangetout_rodney
mangetout_rodney Posts: 121
edited November 2014 in Campaign
I was doing my usual route today along Upper Richmond road from Putney to Richmond and I counted (as I wasn't really doing anything else with my time) 14 discreet piles of glass in the cycle lane.
This seems an unusually high number for what is a 4 mile stretch of tarmac.

I saw a couple of blue bags with crushed glass falling out of them at various points along the road- could someone (or someones) be doing this deliberately?

Comments

• Not deliberately... the problem is that rubbish collection in this country is kind of stuck in the middle ages. Giving each individual responsibility for their own bin seems a great and civilised thing, but in the end most people are not that civilised and don't really understand how the all thing is supposed to work. I find that collection points at the end of each road are a better solution... at least you know where to look out for glass patches
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yep - today is bin day in Putney. Wandsworth have a fantastic system where all the recycling is put in the orange bags (so no need to sort stuff out). However the bin men pick up the bags and chuck them into a bigger heap to load into the lorry. This can break and spreads glass on the side of the road.