Making porridge in the microwave

2»

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Ai_1 wrote:
    ...obviously measure the oats first so they don't get stuck in a wet glass and then you can use it for your orange juice too...efficiency is the name of the game!
    ...If you like your porridge a little thicker or more watery just tweak the 2:1 ratio slightly but 2:1 is spot on for me.

Are you one of the "boys from time and motion".
  • Chewy Porridge
    Boil water in kettle. Place in saucepan. Add porridge and stir only until the spoon doesn't move when let go. Invert into a bowl and allow to cool for a minute or so. Slice into portion sized amounts, saving any spare in the fridge for snacking on later.

If desired add pre-soaked dried fruit before adding porridge or honey to taste once sliced.

Once the kettle is boiled it takes about a minute and a pan is easier to clean than a microwave after a porridge explosion.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Use readybrek or supermarket own brand equivalent. Pour some into a bowl (with a dollop of honey), add boiling water from kettle, stir - job done 8)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use Flahavans oats, milk and a large plastic bowl. Few minutes in the microwave and no mess. Simples.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Any one else got a specific microwave saucepan for porridge?.

Works well for me.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,945
    I also eat porridge all year round. My dentist said "if you want to see less of me, give up the breakfast cereals and eat porridge". With a mouth full of fillings and teeth that are getting a bit fragile, this seemed like a deal to me. Also good for my guts which are of the irritable persuasion.

So, about 50g of oats in a pint jug and top up with milk to about 1/3 of a pint. Zap for 2.5 mins on full power in a 700watt oven. The one at work is a bit fierce, so I do about the same mix and run the microwave one stop under, BUT I always stand the bowl (no jug at work) on a plate in case it spills over. (I've had to start eating my breakfast at work because I now get in earlier to beat the traffic). Always leave the zapped porridge to stand for 5 mins before eating.

Also too porridge to Greece on hols :roll: made it there by pouring boiling water onto oats and just leaving it to stand, then adding milk before eating. Didn't taste as good, but worked ok.

The older I get, the better I was.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Was in a rush this morning, so did the method at the bottom of page 1 of this thread; handful of oats, float it with hot water left over from making coffee, then 90 seconds on full while I go off and get showered & dressed. Came down to perfectly set just hot enough bowl of porridge with no runs, which went down well with a bit of milk and light sprinkle of sugar. What's all the fuss about?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,746
    CiB wrote:
    What's all the fuss about?
    Too small a bowl.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • has any one tried poaching an egg in the microwave ?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    MichaelW wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    ...obviously measure the oats first so they don't get stuck in a wet glass and then you can use it for your orange juice too...efficiency is the name of the game!
    ...If you like your porridge a little thicker or more watery just tweak the 2:1 ratio slightly but 2:1 is spot on for me.

Are you one of the "boys from time and motion".
    No. They're evil. I'm just particular.
    There's a difference, honest!

I'm still amazed there's any controversy here. Making porridge = simple. If you can't manage it you need help, possibly from someone in a professional capacity
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    donkykong wrote:
    has any one tried poaching an egg in the microwave ?

no,is it like poaching deer in a land rover?
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Half a cup of oats, add one full cup of milk. Into microwave, power @ 350/400W, heat for 4 mins. Remove from microwave and eat. The end.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I'm a bit weird about microwaves. There is an instruction somewhere. It says stay approx 1 metre away from microwave while it is in use. What the f...! My food is in there! I'm probably completely barmy, but I use it as little as possible. I make my porridge in a pan on the stove. It takes about 3 mins. I stand over it and constantly stir adding oats the the Soya milk until it's the right consistancy. I find it quite soothing standing there stirring my brekkie.
  • bigjim wrote:
    I find it quite soothing standing there stirring my brekkie.

Yes! And pan cooked porridge tastes better.
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I find the best way to avoid making a mess with porridge in the microwave is to have bacon and eggs for brekky. Or pretty much anything other than porridge. It's not 1890 you know.

Hardly surprising to find members of a cycling forum in favour of arguably the healthiest breakfast :?
    tick - tick - tick
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    bigjim wrote:
    I'm a bit weird about microwaves. There is an instruction somewhere. It says stay approx 1 metre away from microwave while it is in use. What the f...! My food is in there!....
    I don't understand the problem. Does your food get lonely if you stand too far away?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    proto wrote:
    Half a cup of oats, add one full cup of milk. Into microwave, power @ 350/400W, heat for 4 mins. Remove from microwave and eat. The end.

Much like what I do, except normally I'm making it for 2 people and add a copped up apple and banana, and use a LARGE plastic bowl
    - cup of porridge and 2 cups of milk, full power for 5 mins
    - add apple, 2.5 mins more
    - add banana, 2.5. mins more
    - may be add raisins and serve.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bigjim
    Ai_1 wrote:
    bigjim wrote:
    I'm a bit weird about microwaves. There is an instruction somewhere. It says stay approx 1 metre away from microwave while it is in use. What the f...! My food is in there!....
    I don't understand the problem. Does your food get lonely if you stand too far away?
    "Radiation leaks around and through the glass door are generally below levels recommended by international standards."
    "Nevertheless, the use of microwave radiation to cook food has raised some concerns about microwave ovens, generally because of possible radiation leaks, nutrient loss, and the possibility of cancer causing food byproducts.

Standing in front of your microwave may increase your exposures to microwave radiation; however, such increases are likely to be low, especially when compared to your exposures to microwave radiation from your cell phone."
    So it's ok because it's low level. :?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    proto wrote:
    4 minutes!!!!???

I'm on a low intake day so bought 30g of porridge in, in a bowl. Due to an outburst of apathy, rather than cook it I just added hot water, stirred it and left it short while to make a drink. It's now perfectly edible porridge, with no additional heating or waiting.

Said it before, but I think people on here tend to over-think things. It's a bowl of porridge.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    bigjim wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    bigjim wrote:
    "Radiation leaks around and through the glass door are generally below levels recommended by international standards."
    "Nevertheless, the use of microwave radiation to cook food has raised some concerns about microwave ovens, generally because of possible radiation leaks, nutrient loss, and the possibility of cancer causing food byproducts.

Standing in front of your microwave may increase your exposures to microwave radiation; however, such increases are likely to be low, especially when compared to your exposures to microwave radiation from your cell phone."
    So it's ok because it's low level. :?

True, but cell phone microwaves aren't at a frequency designed to excite water molecules whereas a microwave ovens specifically are (since all moisture in meat and vegetables is water based.... hence why you can't heat "dry" foods in a microwave). You are, after all, largely made of water.

Oh! And why heat porridge till it boils anyway? Just warm it up (1 minute will do it).
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    The OP's issue was with the splurge of porridge :
    Couple of basic ways that can help reduce the likelihood of this -
    1) Use a comparatively over-sized bowl for the amount of porridge
    2) Cook at a lower power level / longer time.
    I've never cooked it on a hob myself as for me, micro cooking allows a plastic pot to be used which is then relatively easy to clean and with a low power level setting, timed for 5, 6 minutes or so, means it can be left alone to cook.
  • bigjim
    I've never cooked it on a hob myself as for me, micro cooking allows a plastic pot to be used which is then relatively easy to clean and with a low power level setting, timed for 5, 6 minutes or so, means it can be left alone to cook.
    See. This is where my weirdo/paranoid [thats what my wife calls me] self kicks in when I read plastic pot. I don't like applying heat to food that is in a plastic container. You are heating up the plastic which, to me is seeping contaminents into your food. I know people have the same thoughts on aluminium.
    On tour I put my porridge in water the night before and it's more or less cooked itself come morning. Just requires a little warming up.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    The Peat method:

1 Large bowl
    Add porridge oats
    add water (so that oats are swimming)
    Microwave full power for 1 minute
    Stir, add milk/honey/currants
    Microwave full power for 1 minute
    Add dash more water
    Stir
    Serve

I've gone off Porridge anyway. More of a Musili & Yogurt man now.