(Yuck) Saddle sores - tips

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,099
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
**Some details below, turn away now if of a sensitive nature** :lol:

Got some, no idea why, never suffered before, right in the join between leg and "body"

How does one manage this nasties? I read in that book by the chap who rode round the world that Papaya cream is ace, but where on earth does one buy this?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    wash & apply nappy rash cream - sudocrem is ok.
    Ensure you don't have clothing that rubs that area
    and if you can, stay off the bike for a day or two.... it heals more quickly that way.
  • And don't post pics for our amusement...!!!

:shock:
  • secretsam
    Slowbike wrote:
    wash & apply nappy rash cream - sudocrem is ok.
    Ensure you don't have clothing that rubs that area
    and if you can, stay off the bike for a day or two.... it heals more quickly that way.

Ahhh, Sudocrem - will dig some out, or buy some, kids a bit old for it now but I remember it well :D

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Magnesium Sulphate paste from the chemist, apply thick amount with a dressing on top, leave for the pus to start coming out, then squeeze like buggery. Keep it as clean and as dry as possible afterwards.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Anusol can take swelling out - then conotrane or sudocrem.

Keep everything clean and lots of fresh air (loose underwear or just walk everywhere naked) and, as above, if you can stay off the bike a few days it will obviously help.
  • secretsam
    marcusjb wrote:
    Anusol can take swelling out - then conotrane or sudocrem.

Keep everything clean and lots of fresh air (loose underwear or just walk everywhere naked) and, as above, if you can stay off the bike a few days it will obviously help.

Do I have to walk or can I drive? I've got to go into town tomorrow, being naked is fine but I might need some shoes if I'm walking :twisted: :twisted:

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Shoes are fine - just keep the air flowing around your sore and all will be well.

Any comments etc. from passers by and just be sure to show them the sore as way of explanation.
  • Do you want to borrow my kilt...?

Very refreshing letting it all hang loose and freely without the fear of arrest and falling down the cell block steps for being a dirty paedo.

:D
  • secretsam
    Do you want to borrow my kilt...?

Very refreshing letting it all hang loose and freely without the fear of arrest and falling down the cell block steps for being a dirty paedo.

:D

I don't necessarily associate being nuddie with being a Paedo. Being a weirdo, yes, perhaps...

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    When it's all cleared up try putting Vaseline on the areas that are getting sore before you ride.
  • secretsam
    diamonddog wrote:
    When it's all cleared up try putting Vaseline on the areas that are getting sore before you ride.

In addition to or instead of saddle/chamois cream?

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would try both as saddle/chamois cream does not seem to have worked alone, put some on the joint of your leg and body (at the side of your gonads if that's the area that gets sore).
    I don't use chamois cream and Vaseline on it's own seems to work fine for me.
  • Wash your shorts - and with antibacterial detergent, ideally.

And do take some time out if possible. I once had a job I had no choice but to cycle to, and got a sore. It lasted for weeks. :lol:

What I would say though is that ideally you should only need chamois cream for long rides - if you have the right saddle, your bike is set up optimally, and you have some vaguely decent shorts, you should be comfortable.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Washing shorts is definitely the top of the list but even with that I had some trouble a few years ago. I ended up buying a bar of really cheap orange soap in Tesco that said it was antiseptic. Smells a bit like school changing rooms. Since I started using that downstairs most days I've had nothing - not even a prickle.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Go to a chemist and get some 5% benzoyl peroxide cream. Acne creams such as Quinoderm are ideal. Careful as they will bleach your underwear. You could also try washing the area in an anti-dandruff shampoo. You also need to keep the area clean and thoroughly (pat) dry after bathing.

Ideally stay off the bike whilst they are inflamed.

Clean shorts and chamois cream for prevention.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”