fat lad wants a new bike, maybe boardman fs pro 19"

warrentdo
warrentdo Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

This is my first post so you can take it easy, but I prefer you not to :-)
Well ive been on and mostly off bikes for over 40 years and now i need to get fit and get a new bike.
I'm thinking b/ways, towpaths, trails, everything really to get back into it.
I'm quite large, 18 stone, 6'-1" and would like to know what you guys thing of the boardman fs pro 19" with a large lump sat on top of it?
I'm looking to spend around £1300 (fs pro with discount) so any other bikes just throw them in.

Thanks in advance,

Warren.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Boardman is a good bike, that said they did have an issue a few years back with frames cracking, however not heard of any made in the last few years doing so, so I think they've sorted that.

I'd also have a look at Paul's cycles for a run out model, you get some really good ones come up at that sort of price such as http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... CE-X3-2013 or http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... M-X-2-2013
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hello and thank you for your help.
    I'm having real problems posting on my phone and tablet with my login 'pop up' not popping up.
    I had a look at a 18" bm fs pro and didn’t like the sram stuff.
    I have Shimano Deore LX on my old bike, but none of this plastic stuff they have now. I do like the thumb push finger pull change rather than the thumb push push. will I get used to sram?
    The links that you sent are great, the gaint x2 looks nice but because both bikes use totally different kit it’s hard for me to compare because ive been off the bike scene for such a long time.
    I’m getting a 19" bm fs pro built so that I can ride it around and over the car stereos.
    I will have a read up on the giants.
    I will let you know how I get on,

Cheers again

Warren.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Re the login Pop up, yes it's not 100% reliable on a tablet or phone, the best advice is to click login and then go make a cup of tea, it doesnt like additional inputs while it's dreamily thinking about letting you try and log in.

I prefer SRAM shifting myself - in fact I only have one bike with traditional Shimano shifting (my retro with Deore LX!), but yes, you would get used to it in no time.

Best of luck, any of the three are good bikes, the Anthem is a full suss XC bike that will cope with trails just fine - much like the Boardman, the Trance is slightly more hardcore and would be very at home at Trail centres and on rougher single track.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.