Cunego

thomthom
thomthom Posts: 3,574
edited August 2014 in Pro race
Now, here's a man who has been laughing all the way to the bank in the last 6 years.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    andydiluca.jpg

bf9db9f8c6198ad7d4cd3676e4d76b7b-ge.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Saw him at LBL earlier this year. Tiny. Also past it.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    philbar72 wrote:
    Saw him at LBL earlier this year. Tiny. Also past it.
    I stood next to him about 6 years ago outside the Palais des Princes-Eveques (L-B-L Team Presentation) when he had dyed his hair to a ridiculous "White", with some taller girl on his arm.
    ThomThom wrote:
    Now, here's a man who has been laughing all the way to the bank in the last 6 years.
    Well I agree, you got that right but is he a "domestic" or a Team Leader when we see a team member fix his own wheel into his bike.???
    That he can still win or podium in small chipper events.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • For me, he was never as good as his Giro win suggested, but he shouldn't be remembered for being as bad as he is now.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Nobody wins Lombardy 3 times by chance, spent too long chasing another GT win to fully realise his potential as a classics rider and should have won the 2008 Worlds.
  • This is a ridiculous argument
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    mm1 wrote:
    Nobody wins Lombardy 3 times by chance, spent too long chasing another GT win to fully realise his potential as a classics rider and should have won the 2008 Worlds.

Agreed. It should be classics or GT, but not both, but I think Lampre wanted both, because they didn't have another GC contender. They also pushed Marzio Bruseghin into being a GC man, based on one half decent Giro. He objected and went to Movistar to be a domestique.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    He very nearly missed out on the rainbow jersey... which was won by an arguably lesser (and dirtier) rider...

He peaked very young and he's past his best a long time ago... as long as they keep paying him, don't see the problem... he's always reasonably fit and the problem is what the team wants to do with him..

The point is: he's NOT another Andy Schleck!
    left the forum March 2023
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    This is a ridiculous argument
    What's the argument.
    The little Prick has very good palmares with 3 monuments and a GT to his name.
    I've never taken to him as I think he wouldn't have the GT if he had been on another team and he has proved me correct by never winning a GT when he is "Team Leader".
    No argument as his palmares give the answer, no matter what I think.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    This is a ridiculous argument
    The little Prick .

Nice. I was at the top of the Stelvio in 2012 when he came in second ( and 6th in Giro overall) . So he's lost some form past 30 - his team still has faith in him so they pay him! He certainly is a grafter when he has the form.

Look at his year - it is very rare he gets dnf's. 84 race days in 2013 compared to 62 for Froome

SKY considered him in their first year as their main rider as he was considered a clean rider - even in 2004 - look at who he beat for that incredible Giro win.

damiano-cunego-trecand-prin-fata-noastra-pe-stelvio.jpg
  • I think he's suffered from winning a Giro favoured towards Petacchi getting stage wins and is not as good in the high mountains in future years. Good enough to finish up ther,e just not quite at the front.
  • I think even he tacitly acknowledged he was not a clean rider for his giro win. He had a kid not long after and kept talking about how it changed his outlook on cycling and how he wouldn't be the same rider. Since then he's been pretty much spotless through a dark period for Italian cycling.

Another of my favourites though. He's had 2 top tens in the tour also.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    I think even he tacitly acknowledged he was not a clean rider for his giro win.

The story goes that Cunego has a natural hematocrit of 52... it runs in the family as his dad is the same. If that's the case, there isn't much room for blood doping without being clearly noticeable and in 2004 the 50% rule was in place... he had a dispensation, as I understand
    left the forum March 2023