700 x 28 folding tyres - any recommendations?

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Recently finished my steel Equilibrium build and I've been delighted by how well it rides compared to my previous builds (Forme Longcliffe alu and 2002 vintage Trek 5200 carbon)

Currently running on Michelin Pro4 SC 700 x 25mm and relishing the comfort levels from the larger tyre at lower pressures.

With the clearance on the Equilibrium I could go up to at least 700 x 28mm and was wondering if it would be worth it to do the swap.

Google searches seem to indicate that the tyre choice at this size appears to be more limited. I want to stick to a folding rather than a wired tyre and I'm also not too fussed about bullet proof p*n*t*r* protection. My main riding is 25 - 50 mile circuits for fitness with the odd sportive thrown in along the way.

Options I've located so far are:-

Continental Ultra Gatorskin
Continental Gatorskin Duraskin
Continental GP 4 Seasons
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HS380
Panaracer RiBMo
Specialized Espoir Sport

Any recommendations for any of the above or is there something else out there that I've missed

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    If your Zonda are the 2 way fit, I suggest you try Schwalbe One tubeless (25 are quite big already)... they are seriously good and seriously easy to fit

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/blog
    left the forum March 2023
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The michelins size up a bit big, and ride really nice. How much clearance is left with them? And do you run mudguards?
  • arlowood
    If your Zonda are the 2 way fit, I suggest you try Schwalbe One tubeless (25 are quite big already)... they are seriously good and seriously easy to fit

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/blog

Yeah Paolo - have been following your reviews of the Schwalbe One tubeless but unfortunately I've got the clincher only version of the Zondas. To be honest at the time of purchase I wasn't aware of the 2-way option but would probably not have bitten anyway since they are at a £100 premium over the clincher only ones.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    arlowood wrote:
    To be honest at the time of purchase I wasn't aware of the 2-way option but would probably not have bitten anyway since they are at a £100 premium over the clincher only ones.

I think it's more a case of the clincher only version being heavily discounted before being discontinued... don't see the point in having two versions, if they both take clinchers
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    The michelins size up a bit big, and ride really nice. How much clearance is left with them? And do you run mudguards?

Just done a quick measurement of the Pro4 SC's on my Zonda rims. They come up at 27mm wide (sidewall to sidewall) and 25mm deep (top of wheel rim to road contact point on tyre)

As far as clearance goes on the Equilibrium frame, I have 7mm each side from sidewall to fork blade/seatstay. The vertical clearance differs a little front to rear. It's 12mm at the front from road contact point to fork crown and more like 10mm at the rear due to the intrusion of the mudguard mounting boss on the underside of the seatstay bridge.

Not running guards ATM but considering fitting some before the onset of winter. Having said that, I don't normally ride in wet weather if I can avoid it but you can never discount getting caught out.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Stick to the Michelins then...