Moon X-Power 600 front light - any good?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm considering getting a Moon X-Power 600 front light -- 600 lumens, USB rechargeable. I've seen one for £50. Does anyone have the light? Is it good? Any problems with it? I'm looking for a front light for out late rides on Suffolk country lanes - to avoid pot holes. My current Smart Lunar 35 isn't quite bright enough.

Thanks.

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I've got the 780 version which is great. The 600 will be more than enough to spot potholes and get you around safely away from street lights. They have a well judged beam pattern which doesn't blind oncoming drivers too (much better in this regard than the cat eye 1200 I had before - blinded everyone and took ages to recharge). Mine does over an hour in freezing temperatures at full welly so the battery claims are pretty accurate too.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    OK, great, thanks. Will probably get that.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I have the 500 and it is great.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I too have the 500, really good light, so the 600 should be even better - £50 is also a good price.

I'd advise buying a spare rechargeable battery to keep charged and carry with you if you are going out for more than a couple of hours. They're only about £12-15 from memory.
  • I bought the X-Power 600 and received it today. I'm regretting not buying the 500S instead mainly because the battery is, as you suggested LakesLuddite, £15 and is available (I've only seen it from High On Bikes though -- £15). The battery for the 600 doesn't seem to be available at all, not from any of the standard retailers anyway. I assume I could probably buy it from overseas but that'll probably cost loads.

The 500S battery:
    http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=42 (link corrected)

The 600 battery:
    http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=97

Even though this High On Bikes eBay listing for a Moon battery says it's for the Moon XP600, it's not the right battery.

Anyway, before I decide to return the light and pay for the postage and get the 500S instead, does anyone know where to get the battery for the 600 from?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I have a Moon that I bought last year and paid £35 for. It's small and light but not a patch on the Cree I recently paid £8.99 for on Amazon.

The new one is 1800 lumens and a proper night riding light.

The moon is more to be seen, the Cree is for seeing everything on unlit country lanes.

Battery lasts 3 hours but you could buy another whole set up for less than a tenner.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    I have the 500 and it is great.

+1.

Thanks ben for posting the link for the spare battery, will get one of those ready for Winter.

I got mine with the Moon Shield rear light as free a subscription gift from Cycling Weekly. Though, I'd happily pay the going rate for both as they've proved to be great.

Agree with the comments above though. As good as the Moon 500 is, it's not powerful enough for full speed riding on unlit, rural roads. I have a Fluxient light from Amazon which does that really well.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    I have a Moon that I bought last year and paid £35 for. It's small and light but not a patch on the Cree I recently paid £8.99 for on Amazon.

The moon is more to be seen, the Cree is for seeing everything on unlit country lanes.

Battery lasts 3 hours but you could buy another whole set up for less than a tenner.

A 1800 lumens light which lasts for 3 hours for £8.99. Sounds amazing. Will look into that.

In the meantime, in response to my own last post, High On Bike's £15 eBay listing of a Moon battery turns out to be the one for the XP600 light. They had the wrong photo. They've now corrected it. So that stops the need to return the light because I can't get its battery, at least at a reasonable price -- I can now.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Hi,

I am going to be doing some night riding this year and was looking at getting another light, could you send me the link to that?

Many thanks!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Hi,

I am going to be doing some night riding this year and was looking at getting another light, could you send me the link to that?

Many thanks!

It looks like my supplier has sold out but there are others advertised for slightly more. See bottom of the page.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L ... UTF8&psc=1

These really are great lights and are almost free.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    edited September 2014
    I have the same cree model, but I think in a previous incarnation as it's the same body and kit, but I thought mine was supposed to be 1500, either way I'd take that reading with a pinch of salt but they are indeed stunning at lighting the road for the price !! My buddies has given up the ghost in short order, but mine has been on 6 months or so and is fantastic... you don't actually need to use the high power setting on the road.

I always liked the design of the 'moon lights' especially that rear 'shield' but originally I found them from a Serfas COB LED strips that just glow in a fantastic solid beam (beam as in Block not throw ;) )

the moon versions just didn't seem quite as good to me so I always wondered who was first to market as the moon versions seemed more plasticky... but I digress, back on topic, the 600 looks a nice light too, and the £15 battery is handy.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Those lights aren't 1800. The Cree XM-L T6 emitter is only capable of emitting around a thousand lumen when driven at their max output of 3 amps. They're not bad but you can get brighter these days for less than £30. Preferably something with the newer XM-L2 (T6, U2 or U3) emitter. Only thing you really have to watch out for is the quality of the battery packs coming out of China at the moment.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Take a look on this site, some useful info and reviews:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com

The guy sells on Amazon and eBay, his feedback is positive. I bought my Fluxient from his Amazon shop and it's been faultless. The quality of the unit itself and performance are really good. You could probably DH MTB on the brightest setting. Not had to use the 2 yr warranty so can't comment on that. I dare say he adds an additional layer of QC though, which you may not get by spending a third of the price directly from China. Buy cheap, buy twice and all that…..

HTH.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”