Advice on buying new wheels

stevehollingsworth
stevehollingsworth Posts: 38
edited August 2014 in Road general
Advice needed, as I was clipped by a car on Sunday I need to buy some new wheels

Her is the bike

e6b0e0b3dc189f117db060b274b957a3_zps7948a0d6.jpg

I prefer to ride hills, here is a copy of a typical strava

760eccba3b60d89966f25114e4967203_zps709aa18c.jpg

I would like some carbon Planet X wheels but not sure what size dish would be most suitable for hills

Have a budget of £500

Thanks

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Would suggest the smaller the better as they will be lighter, which is for hills an important factor, unless your looking for aero advantage but at climbing speeds doubt you'd reap any aero advantages from deeper section rims
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • dean7879
    dean7879 Posts: 127
    If you want to buy factory built wheels, the fulcrum racing zero's or dura ace c24's seem to get a lot of good reviews. The fulcrums are meant to be good for hills

Or you could go the custom route. For example pacenti sl23, on white industries hubs, with sapim spokes

And then theres the race 23's from wheelsmiths...........

Doubt you could go wrong there
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    22 miles with 827ft = hilly..??
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    OP has mentioned hills twice in there but the strava example is plainly not hilly. Not that it will matter on the wheel choice, the average speed is not high enough for any real aero benefits either.

Mainly though, I'd suggest going for something light and lively, so dean7879 isn't far off, although those suggestions are also maybe overkill for the bike IMO.
  • Imposter wrote:
    22 miles with 827ft = hilly..??

I say hilly as I am looking at riding more hills in future as my experience / fitness increases
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Well if your looking at PX wheels as a replacement your not really going to go wrong and they have plenty in your price range.

You just need to consider if you want clincher or tubs and if you want carbon or carbon with alloy braking surface, once you've got that dialled in you'll find the set for you
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Literally zero point in getting deep section wheels at your speeds. Go for something like Fulcrum racing 1's
  • Ksyrium Elites. The boring choice and common as muck but there's a reason they are so profuse.