Rotor 3D+ installation problem

Method01
Method01 Posts: 4
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Recieved my P2M with a Rotor 3d+ crank last week. I just installed the crank on my bike (BSA 68mm) with a BSA30 bottom bracket. However, there is just too much lateral play to fix it with the preload bolt. The manual says I don't need spacers but how else can I fix this problem..?

I turn the preload bolt against the crank arm.
I mount the non-drive side crank in to the frame and push it all the way in
I place the crank on the spindle, while pushing non drive side against the frame I mount the crank with the torque of 40nM

And then the lateral play is too much for the preload bolt to fix it..

Result after pushing the non drive side in the frame, it seems like the spindle is a bit too long??
wk5jlw.jpg

Result after fixing the crank at 40nM, it's too much play for the preload bolt to fix it all
2ijrvk2.jpg

Comments

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    I run a Rotor 3d+ with a bb30 frame and the bb30 should be the same width (68mm) as your BSA if I understand correctly. I also believe the Rotor 3d+ uses a longer spindle than other 30mm spindles, which would make sense as I need to use 2 spacers on my crank (one either side) to take up the width.

Others with more tech knowledge will be along soon I'm sure, but how much play do you have side to side?
  • wavefront
    Ok, only just saw your photos showing the play you have, The BSA adaptors take up distance I thought you may have. My spacers take up all the distance to the pre-load nut so I can't see any spindle. I does look like something is missing on your setup. Also I'd only torque up to the recommended 40nM any more certainly won't take up that difference!

Sorry I can't be more help.
  • No problem, thanks for your effort!

The play you can see is about 5mm, so maybe I can add a 2,5mm spacer on drive side and remove the other 2,5mm with the preload bolt.. I'm just not sure if it's ok to add spacer when the manual says I don't need them.
  • wavefront
    Did you figure it out? I've been in contact with Rotor UK these past few days and have to say they've been extremely helpful. I'm sure they'd help :)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    just fit a 2.5mm spacer on either side, depending on chainline. It'll be fine.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    just fit a 2.5mm spacer on either side, depending on chainline. It'll be fine.

Now I have a 3mm spacer on the non drive side and it fixes the problem for now. But I'm concerned about the offset of the crank, I don't want to have the left crank arm 5mm more outwards compared with the right one.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    put the spacer on the other side then
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • The knobbly spacer shown in your bottom picture (clamped to the spindle next to the LH crank arm) is used to adjust the sideways float

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/vclose2.asp?prd=113829&cat=7386000657
  • Here is the Rotor youtube video on how to install Rotor 3D+ cranks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbkbXl8 ... 0g&index=6

Looking at your last pic, you haven't wound the pre-load up against the bottom bracket & secured by tightening the bolt (this takes up any slack).

Hope this helps.