Just in.... Fulcrum Racing Zero's

dean7879
dean7879 Posts: 127
edited August 2014 in Road general
Decided to buy these for my Cannondale Caad 8. Cost 600 from Bike discount which i thought was pretty good. Will fit them soon and post some more pics along with a review.

They look lovely hope they ride well :D
Here is a pic i took earlier

fulcrumracingzero_zps2a28fa25.jpg

Comments

• Nice wheels I have been using a pair for just over 5000 miles now, these looks to have new stickers and hub colour
  • dean7879
    Nice, how do you like them?

These are my first set of wheels and they are an upgrade over the Maddux 3.0 wheels that came with my Cannondale. At 800 grams lighter i should feel the difference in quality.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    You definitely will feel the difference!
  • I'm looking to upgrade the Aksiums on my BMC SLC 01 - would this be a decent choice?
    Am probably after comfort and longevity / bomb-proofness rather than speed.
  • dean7879
    i had a quick blast earlier and the difference is immediately obvious. I can get up to speed quicker, stay up to speed and hills seem less of a chore. They also look beautiful. Very happy so far, and if these can last me a few years it will be money well spent.
    I'm looking to upgrade the Aksiums on my BMC SLC 01 - would this be a decent choice?

I would think these would do the trick depending on your budget. After lots and lots of research, the racing zero's and dura ace seemed to be at the top of the tree, especially around the 500-600 pound mark where i wanted to be. Custom made is another option,the race 24 from wheelsmith.com is a good option and it will be no hassle if something goes wrong with them.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    I have a pair and I love them, however, for those considering them, the USB bearings are nonsense, the bearings are harder than the cones and can eat the cones leaving them notchy and horrible feeling.

If I had the choice again i would probably go for the Racing 1s, the only difference is standard bearings and the hub shell isn't carbon but I do like the carbon hub look.

I replaced my hub cones and put regular steel bearings in and now they are smooth as silk.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    I'm looking to upgrade the Aksiums on my BMC SLC 01 - would this be a decent choice?

Go for the Racing 1s, cheaper and as far as I am concerned actually better, unless you like the bling factor of the carbon hub shell.
  • domgears wrote:
    I have a pair and I love them, however, for those considering them, the USB bearings are nonsense, the bearings are harder than the cones and can eat the cones leaving them notchy and horrible feeling.

If I had the choice again i would probably go for the Racing 1s, the only difference is standard bearings and the hub shell isn't carbon but I do like the carbon hub look.

I replaced my hub cones and put regular steel bearings in and now they are smooth as silk.

I purchased a pair of Zero's in Sept 2011 and they did thousands and thousands of miles before I passed them onto my mate at the start of the year and he's already done a couple of thousand on them. In that time they have never needed to be trued and the USB bearings have never had to be replaced. I've also got USB bearings in two Recod chainsets and Cult in an SR chainset. Only one side of the latter needed changed and that was my fault. So no, they're not nonsense.
  • dean7879
    Thats nice to know and reassuring you can get thousands of miles out of these. If they last me 3-4 years i will be happy. :D