Front wheel makes a snapping noise when being pumped up.

damocles10
damocles10 Posts: 340
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a pair of Carbon Campag bullet 80's clinchers. When I pump up the tyre it makes a snapping noise upon every push from the track pump, tyre and inner tube is seated properly. They never did this before, is there something wrong? They occasionally make the noise ( I am assuming it's from the wheel ) while on the road too, which worries me.

Cheers

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Tyre went up easily or very hard?
    In the latest case it can happen that the tyre pops back down to the rim bed ccasionally which causes the sound.
    Sufficient pressure can avoid this, but high pressure is uncomfortable and otherwise unnessecary.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    To contradict Keezxa bit, when pumping up some tyres (I have Vittoria Open Corsas on H Plus Son rims) as the pressure increases the tyre bead "snaps" into the seat in the rim (not down into the well, which wouldn't be possible as the tube is in the way) and that is quite normal.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Could it be the little sticky out bit in the valve that is being pushed in on every stroke?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    rafletcher wrote:
    To contradict Keezxa bit, when pumping up some tyres (I have Vittoria Open Corsas on H Plus Son rims) as the pressure increases the tyre bead "snaps" into the seat in the rim (not down into the well, which wouldn't be possible as the tube is in the way) and that is quite normal.

Agreed, but i never noticed it more than 1 time per rim/tyre combination.
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    Thanks for the suggestions, I always check to see if the tube is in the way of the tyre bead so I think we can rule that one out, it could be the valve with the 80mm extender?

The tyre inflates easily, it's a little disconcerting hearing the noise though.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    damocles10 wrote:
    They occasionally make the noise ( I am assuming it's from the wheel ) while on the road too, which worries me.

Cheers
    ======================================
    Check that the wheel is 'true'.
    Deflate and spin wheel, while deflated also check spoke tension to determine if any are loose.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA