Spd or spd sl? (Sorry)

bikemanspen
bikemanspen Posts: 101
edited August 2014 in Road general
Ok so I've been using my mtb spd for about 15 months on the road bike without any real problems!
But I can't help wondering would the sls be more beneficial as that's what most people seem to wear?
I'm sure it's been don before but what are your experiences?

My budget would be around £100 for the shoes

Cheers Ben
Cube agree pro 2013
Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    This debate has been repeated again and again and I'm pretty sure this will go the same route. However the general consensus is that SPD pedals are perfectly usable for road biking. There's no major down-side. Some would claim that road specific pedal systems are a little more efficient, stable, comfortable. Many others will strongly disagree. It's a contentious but largely unimportant issue!

Me? I never used MTB pedals so can't comment but they seem to work absolutely fine for others. I origianally used SPD-SL but wasn't overly fond of them. I wanted more free-moving float and ideally easier clip in and clip out. I soon switched to Speedplay Zeros which I've been very happy with for the last 2.5 years.

I don't think you need to move to "road" pedals but if you do I wouldn't be inclined to assume SPD-SL was the best choice. I much prefer Speedplay Zeros and others like Look Keo and Time will have their merits.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    ...I'm sure it's been don before...

search.php
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ai_1 wrote:
    This debate has been repeated again and again and I'm pretty sure this will go the same route. However the general consensus is that SPD pedals are perfectly usable for road biking. There's no major down-side. Some would claim that road specific pedal systems are a little more efficient, stable, comfortable. Many others will strongly disagree. It's a contentious but largely unimportant issue!
    And others will also say that one advantage of the SPD over the alternatives is the shoes with recessed mounting allowing you to walk around without looking like a duck. No great biggy if you don't do much walking, but very helpful this last weekend on our trip to Paris and back.

there's at least 2 of us (the other chap is bluddy quick) who are TTing on SPDs so they can't be that bad ...
  • Ok guys ive been trawling the archives and i think ill stick with my spds thanks for your replies
    Cube agree pro 2013
    Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    But wait...the thread can't be resolved...no ones argued over road pedals being 0.876% more efficient at power transfer??!?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Ok guys ive been trawling the archives and i think ill stick with my spds thanks for your replies
    Quickest resolution ever!

Now hurry and ask a moderator to close this thread before everyone else arrives....