2013 Madone 4.9/2014 Madone 4.9 or Emonda SL6

hippak
hippak Posts: 7
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

I currently own a 2013 Madone 3.5. I live in the Netherlands and also have a home in Canada. I'm planning on taking the 3.5 back to Canada to use when I travel back for vacations and purchase a new bike for The Netherlands.

I'll need to buy a new bike as soon as October and I'm debating between buying a discounted 2013 Madone 4.9, a 2014 Madone 4.7 or 4.9 or an Emonda SL6.

I Currently ride about 150km per week with max distance being ~30km. This won't increase anytime soon as I have a fairly strict training. I'm fairly happy with the 3.5's fit and feel.

The 2013 Madone 4.9 would be significantly cheaper and seems to have more kit (Including DI2). Wondering if the 2013 4.9 is materially different versus the 2014 4.9?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Comments

• LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    I've got the 2014 Modone 4.7 earlier in the year as my first road bike and I love it.

It's light, stiff and very responsive. Comfortable for long rides and with all round Ultegra 6800, great spec for the price. The Bontrager Race rims aren't the lightest, but they're not the heaviest either. I imagine living in the Netherlands, climbing isn't too much of a concern for you.

I looked at the 4.9 and decided that i didn't feel the need for Di2 so couldn't justify the £500 price difference, but i imagine the frame is identical to the 4.7.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the 4.7 and would recommend it.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • rane
    rane Posts: 25
    Hi

I just bought the Émonda SL 6 last week and i must say that it's without a doubt the best bike I've ever ridden.

Things that i noticed.

Pros: :D
    - i'm very impressed how it handles a bumpy road. It absorbs like no other :-)
    - It reacts immediately while being pushed.
    - It has an amazing handling in tight and long corners
    - it's a very comfortable geometry for long rides. ( My height is 194cm ~6.36ft and frame size 60cm)
    - Great gear group and brakes ( Ultegra 6800 ) works like a charm!
    - Cool and neat integration of the new Duotrap S Sensor
    - A very light bike

Cons: :(
    - I would have loved if it was delivered with some slighty better wheels... (Bontrager Race)

Added by me: :P
    - Dura Ace PD-9000 Pedals
    - Bryton Rider 20 GPS Computer
    - Duotrap S Sensor

Things i will consider upgrading to in the future: :idea:
    - Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24 Clincher Wheelset 2014
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ac ... lset-2014/
    - Specialized Romin Evo Pro Saddle
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -13-46957/

MY RATING: :mrgreen:
    4.8/5 STARS
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
    Columbus Gara (Fun old School bike)
  • Thanks for the responses guys. I got a smoking deal on a 2014 Madone 4.9 (850 euros cheaper vs an Emonda SL6) so I went for the 2014 4.9.

Thanks for the advice and responses!