edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi folks,

I have been saving hard and now have about £1k to spend on a decent wheelset,
looking for some recommendation's,

cheers

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Buy a pair of nice wheels for £300 and use the remaining £700 for a cycling holiday.

What are you looking for in a wheelset? Some idea of your expectations would be useful.

Reynolds Assault SLGs would be on my list for that sort of price.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • had my eyes on a mavic cosmic carbone sls,

but would like to hear if there are any better out there for similar price.
  • Looking for an aero wheelset, just can't seem to decide which ones i want,
    they reynolds look cracking. Would i be better buying just now or waiting til after the winter and maybe save a bit if the price comes down a little?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Some information about you, your riding and what you want from your wheels would help...
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • bigbeezer67
    bigbeezer67 Posts: 24
    edited August 2014
    im riding a focus izalco pro 3.0
    prob ride about 120 miles a week just now,
    looking for a nice smooth aero set of wheels, i have fulcrum 6.5 wheelset on it just now but i want a better one,

[you will need to excure the new username, had issues with my password and old/new email addresses so had to re register lol]
  • There's a review of carbon clinchers in Cycling plus this month. I think it's the Reynolds Asault/Attack combo that come out the winners. PBK had the Asaults at sub £1K at the beginning of the week.
  • Had the same dilemma eventually took the plunge with a set of Dura ace C50's clinchers and I am more than pleased with my choice, extremely stiff and aero and at just under your budget a bomb proof wheel set imo.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Go for a wide torodial rim. DA C50's are not these. These sort of rims deal with cross winds better (with mine I hardly get blown about at all in strong cross winds) and when you put a 23mm tyre on a 25mm wide rim it is 25mm wide and test have shown that has aerodynamic benefits (obvious really). So to me DAC50 while nice and they have a good name are not optimal. The best thing going for them is the alloy brake track but in terms of aerodymanic performance there is better.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thanks for the replies lads.
  • So what in your opinion cycleclinic is the optimum wheel set for the £1000 mark?
  • The 2014 Dura Ace utilise the toroidal shape in place of the defunct v shape. Is it the width of the wheel that defines its benefits?
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I have the Reynolds Assault SLG and they are a good wheel, felt instantly a bit stiffer than the DA9000 C24 they replaced (i'm 70kg so not overly heavy) and they seem less affected by side winds than my Zonda's on my winter/wet bike.
    Cheers, Stu
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I recently bought a pair of Reynolds assault slg's after agonising over this for months. 303's were on my list too. The Reynolds are ace, I'm glad I saved the £600 over the Zipps. Don't forget Probikekit's 15% discount code and Quidco's cashback for a nett £970 cost.
  • Ok,

so i got the mavic cosmic carbone sls,

however,

there seems to be a creaking/pinging/tinny sort of noise from the back wheel..

rode about 200 miles in them and was told by a mate it was just the spokes bedding in? is this true? gonna take them back to the shop this week because at that price you would expect a bit better than them to sound so bad. It's mostly when you stand up and throw the bike around, but also when you are seated it happens.

anybody have this with any of their wheels before?

cheers
  • Ok,

so i got the mavic cosmic carbone sls,

however,

there seems to be a creaking/pinging/tinny sort of noise from the back wheel..

rode about 200 miles in them and was told by a mate it was just the spokes bedding in? is this true? gonna take them back to the shop this week because at that price you would expect a bit better than them to sound so bad. It's mostly when you stand up and throw the bike around, but also when you are seated it happens.

anybody have this with any of their wheels before?

cheers

No, it's bullshxt, but you might have low tension causing the spokes to rub, as they are not overlapped in the build, which is not unheard of for Mavic wheels... get them checked by someone who knows what is doing...
    left the forum March 2023
  • when i got them the guy in the bike shop just popped them on the bike, never checked tension as far as i can remember. Are they meant to check this with new wheels?
  • when i got them the guy in the bike shop just popped them on the bike, never checked tension as far as i can remember. Are they meant to check this with new wheels?

NO, that's Mavic QC task. To be honest it's not easy to assess Mavic's tension, unless one has the Mavic tension gauge with the calibration for their spokes... which nobody has, obviously... I have learnt to guesstimate them pretty accurately with another gauge, but it took me a couple of years and going through a few sets
    left the forum March 2023
  • They shouldn't need to. Surely spoke tension would be an elementary part of all the advanced engineering Mavic charge for?
  • well if i take them back, then the guy in the shop tweaks them or whatever and it still happens they are getting sent back.
  • I had a rear Aksium that creaked and groaned, it drove me crackers and my LBS couldn't cure it. I replaced it with a Shimano 500.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Shamal Ultras if you want shallow rims and bulletproof durability - but also have a look at the 3T Aero rims
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • the noise has stopped,
    he lubed all the contact areas and now it's silent :mrgreen:

however,

the valve extender the shop gave me is near impossible to get a pressure reading when using it, is there a certain extender for mavic wheels? as this one sounds like half the air isn't going into the tyre - and also not giving you a reading on the pressure. It's on as tight as i can get it but just seems to be the wrong size?

cheers
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    The thread on valve extenders isn't airtight. You need to wrap some teflon (plumbers) tape around the thread of the valve to stop air leaking out.
  • Get some long valve (80mm) inner tubes and ditch the extenders. Much better.
  • I have found conti extenders are air tight without tape but 80mm valves are a better idea.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.