Any S-Works Tarmac SL4 or 2015 Owners?

bartersb
bartersb Posts: 63
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Thinking of moving on from my Scott CR1 SL (2012) to a Specialized S Works Tarmac (frame set as this will be a custom build). When I do decide if I go for the Tarmac I will decide on whether I go for a SL4 or a 2015--frankly from the reviews I have read there is hardly anything between them & there may be some discount on the SL4s coming.

What I would like your help on is:

1. Overall feedback on the frame & what kind of riding you do.

2. Expected position on the bike? Going by a Specialized chart I found at 187cm I would fit on a 58cm however I know the 58.5cm will leave me feeling very stretched out. However, is this what is to be expected by a Tarmac rider.
The top tube length of the 56cm (with a 120mm stem) seems more appealing & actually seems more in line with the geometry of the size L Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (which that bike brands site put me on). However, I would need to get to a shop to ensure that this could be a bike I could ride.....

In Geneva, I am off the bike due to bronchitis, & it is not even 9pm & pitch black. Summer weekday riding is coming to an end...

Comments

• bartersb
    Yes. A beauty.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Personally I would go for the SL4 as you said not much between them...in fact pretty much nothing. I was going to buy an SL4 until I fell in love with a Wilier Cento1 Air ;)
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    SL4 Sworks in 54 since 2012, have now had the 2015 Sworks in 52 for 3 months.

Quite a few subtle changes to tubes and profiles, more than you think, but as with any bike at this level, no massive differences.

Paint finish is very nice on the 2015 and the seat clamp is cool.
  • bartersb
    Cheers Bernie. Your bike looks super!

I think I will go for the 2015 model.

Might post my sizing query on one of the other boards.
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    How do you find the difference between the 54 and 52 in size? I ride a 54 Tarmac (2009) and sometimes wonder if I replaced it would I go down to a 52. I'm 5ft 7in with about 29in inside leg.

I seem to remember looking the Specialized sizing charts (at least from 2009/10) there seemed to be a smaller difference between the 52 and 54 than any other two adjacent sizes.
  • bartersb
    Just posted this elsewhere. However, if you can help it would be great.

Hey guys,

I am hoping for some advice on comparing a few different bikes. Am I right in saying that I should ignore top tube length as when looked at without considering seat tube angle mis dimension can be misleading. To get a more practical idea of what my position will be I should be comparing stack & reach therefore?

The bike I am considering is a 2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac in either a 56cm or 58cm (note I am 187cm tall, 79kg, 78.3cm bb venter-saddle top), flexible, have put in 7000km so far this year).

Currently I have 2 bikes & happy with fit on both:

Scott CR1SL (2012) 58cm
    Stack 603mm (no spacers under stem & could comfortably drop 1-2cm further tomorrow).
    Reach 394mm + 110mm stem= 504mm

Canyon Inflite AL (2014) 58cm
    Stack 590mm (ride with 25mm of spacers as that is how the bike came set up & it's my winter bike)
    Reach 388mm + 120mm stem= 508mm

& now it is between the 2 sizes of Tarmac I need help with:

Specialized S-Works Tarmac (2015) 56cm
    Stack 564mm
    Reach 395mm + 110mm stem= 505mm

58cm
    Stack 591mm
    Reach 402 + 100mm stem= 502mm

So, when you look at it I could ride the 58cm with the stem slammed & a 100m stem (is that so short as to muck up the handling)
    or
    Ride the 56cm but with probably 2cm of spacers under the stem.

Thoughts?

Cheers!!

pete
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    dgstewart wrote:
    How do you find the difference between the 54 and 52 in size? I ride a 54 Tarmac (2009) and sometimes wonder if I replaced it would I go down to a 52. I'm 5ft 7in with about 29in inside leg.

I seem to remember looking the Specialized sizing charts (at least from 2009/10) there seemed to be a smaller difference between the 52 and 54 than any other two adjacent sizes.

I rode with some pros on several different occasions, and several of them mentioned to me that they thought I would be better on a 52.

You are a touch smaller than me, so I would say a 52 would be good for you too. You may just need to use a slightly longer stem.

I rode a hire Canyon in XS, and even that didn't feel too small.

I would use 170mm cranks too.
  • I ride a 58 Canyon Ultimate and am 185cm and 70kg.

I'm looking to get a Tarmac and after comparing the geometry I thought a 56 would be the best fit, have also been into the LBS and stood my Canyon side by side with a 56 Tarmac and there was very little size difference between the two frames. If I get the Tarmac I'm definitely going for a 56.
  • bartersb
    Cheers Bobby.

Sounds like I was right to start thinking about a 56cm. However, spending this money (& no discounts to be had online anyway) I will go the Specialized store get fitted, test ride etc.

If you do get the Tarmac 56cm or test ride it even let me know as I would be interested.