About Reflectors

Biomech
Biomech Posts: 158
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
The bike shop implied the use of reflectors was a grey area, I did a quick search here and noticed a comment about it being illegal not to have them.

The thing is, between the stuff on the handle bars and the lights and mudguard on the seat post, I can't fit the reflectors on.

I live in the UK, what's the crack?

Comments

• big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    article-1082225-0272443A000004B0-820_468x316.jpg
  • Biomech
    RDW wrote:

Thank you. It says there that you're required to have 4 pedal reflectors - how does this work with SPDs?

Also it says that lights AND reflectors are required by law. But surely an active light would supersede a reflector? I'm sure it's never an issue, but thought it best to know the correct details :)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    edited August 2014
    Biomech wrote:
    RDW wrote:

Thank you. It says there that you're required to have 4 pedal reflectors - how does this work with SPDs?

You put reflectors on them... Easiest of course is to just buy pedals from Germany where they tend to come with them, but you can buy them separately too:

For SPD:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/peda ... pd22-29951

For SPD-SL:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/refl ... dals-29953
    Biomech wrote:
    Also it says that lights AND reflectors are required by law. But surely an active light would supersede a reflector? I'm sure it's never an issue, but thought it best to know the correct details :)

Most lights have a reflector built in, the minimum required lighting is considerably less than a car headlight and reflector, so it's still highly relevant.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Genuine question - has anyone on here ever been stopped by the police because they've not had reflectors on my bike?

In my experience, as long as you have a good front and rear light then the authorities are happy.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I do think that pedal reflectors and the distinctive pattern they create when headlights catch them is a very clear indication that it is a cyclist ahead - however, they are utterly impractical to achieve a legal solution on pretty much any clipless pedal.

Whilst I accept that it's not legal, I wear a pair of ankle bands when riding at night.

I personally think that retro-reflectives are just as important as lights and can increase visibility and awareness far more than the latest million watt eye-burner lights.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    My commuting bike has a rear reflector on the mudguard, I also use a Cateye Reflex rear light which has a built in reflector, I don't have reflectors on my pedals, however I do use ankle bands when riding at night.

I've not been stopped yet, by plod for not having a full compliment of reflectors on my bikes, I do like to be well lit up though when I do venture out at night.
  • As far as spd goes shimano do their 'click 'r' range, which are double sided and have reflectors built in. I used the add on reflectors mentioned above on my m520's but they take up one side of the spd. Chain reaction are pretty cheap if you want them.

My thinking behind the reflector thing is purely one of what would happen if I was involved in an accident and the 3rd party's insurers/solicitor etc pulled me up on it? Could they get away with knocking me off my bike because I wasn't 100% legal etc etc? You hear of pretty bad things happening in courts regardless but I wouldn't want to help the f**kers out.

99.9% of police wouldn't know the law on reflectors anyway, so not worried about getting pulled over.
  • Biomech
    Yeah that was my thinking, my ex is a solicitor so I learnt to watch for the details and loop holes :P
    I don't even intend to ride at night, but I thought I'd check just in case - especially with winter approaching.

I don't want a bike covered in crap and tape, but I might look out for some kind of reflective strips.

I don't like flashing lights, but as a driver I find a steady light can be confusing with distance and what it actually is. When you see a flashing light you immediately know it's a cyclist
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Genuine question - has anyone on here ever been stopped by the police because they've not had reflectors on my bike?

In my experience, as long as you have a good front and rear light then the authorities are happy.

Sure, but my cycling club requires me to use them too, so it's not just a police issue...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The mudguards I fit to my bikes are full length and I've stuck some reflective tape on the back - it's very good stuff and stands out a mile.
    My shoes and overshoes have reflective strips on them - whilst not amber, it is still a reflective and does the job that an amber reflector will do.
    I've not been stopped by the police, but a club member did mention that my knog blinder on single led flash was a bit annoying last night ... might have to take a second light out to fit just for the club ride and use the knog for the solo bit to/from the ride ... :)
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Biomech wrote:
    I don't like flashing lights, but as a driver I find a steady light can be confusing with distance and what it actually is. When you see a flashing light you immediately know it's a cyclist

But is that necessarily a bad thing? When driving I often do just that:- see a steady light and wonder what it is, but I always then pay it more attention trying to figure out exactly what it is - so if all drivers pay more attention to a steady light, trying to figure out what it is then that would seem a good thing? A flashing light could always mean a driver thinking "oh, its JUST a bike..."

As others have said, I think its pretty much the case that, you're highly unlikely to ever be stopped for not having the right reflectors, but if you get hit by a car at night, there's always that chance they avoid being blamed because your bike wasn't legal. Personally, I have a rear reflector, but not a front one and have none on my pedals, but my shoes have reflective patches on the rear and if I intend being out at night I always have lights and I also wear the reflective bands around my ankles like others have mentioned.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • I just bought these reflectors for my Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A ... UTF8&psc=1

I did notice last year cyclists who had reflectors on the pedal quicker than not, on the other hand they did have cr*p lights!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I really dont understand why a large majority of riders make it their first job with a new bike to remove all the reflectors and the spoke protector (often called by that majority a 'dork disc')...

I dont go mad trying to put these things on if not there (my new wheelset doesnt have them) but why would you deliberately remove something that has little or no weight penalty and has a basic safety function. I can maybe see why you might remove them from a competition bike for aero reasons but why remove them from other bikes?

I have front reflector, rear (which is admittedly partially blocked by the pannier rack), wheel reflectors and a rear light that has proper reflectors in it (Cateye reflex). I have lights on my helmet as well as the bike because I find a higher up light is far more noticeable by drivers. Dont have anything on the pedals but I guess my shoes have reflectives on them.

It isnt a grey area - the guidelines are clear but they just arent enforced and most flout them a little, many flout them alot...
  • Biomech
    But is that necessarily a bad thing? When driving I often do just that:- see a steady light and wonder what it is, but I always then pay it more attention trying to figure out exactly what it is

Yes and no, for me personally, I find a single light hard to judge the distance on, that might just be me. Plus it takes a lot more brain power and attention as you're trying to work something out. Is it a bollard reflector, is it something shiny in a bush etc. With a flashing white, it's like changing gear - you almost automatically know it's a cyclists and take action.

Like I said, I don't like flashers, I use a steady light. But flashers, for me, make it easier to identify it's a cyclist.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    As a retired Police Sergeant, I can assure you with almost 100% certainty, that nobody in the police is going to be bothered with checking your bike over for regulation reflectors or any reflectors at all. If anyone actually knew the regulations I would be surprised. There are more pressing and urgent things for them to be getting on with and not enough of them to go round.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879

Considering that they don't even bother stopping anyone for having no lights at night, then they're unlikely to stop you for having no reflectors.

A couple of years ago I had visited a relative, and even though it was still light when I left them it was starting to get dark on the way home and I had no lights. While waiting at a red traffic light there was a police van behind me, when the lights changed to green they just drove straight past.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I've ridden without lights in the dark with a local group once. Scary really as country lanes in the day = unseen potholes!

My bike is less than a year old but I've still got all the reflectors. Front, rear, front/rear orange on pedals and iirc 2 white ones on the wheels. I'm getting a full mudguard fitted with a red rear reflector on it. I'm putting black reflectives on my frame soon. Think I putting them so there's visibility on front, rear and both sides. Perhaps dots on sides of pedals or near end of cranks so there's movement there too. Not sure where's best though.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you arent riding at night then they arent any use.

IF however you are - then reflectors are better than reflective tape. Reflectors on pedals are excellent for marking you out as a bike if you have them.

My best bike that only goes out in the light has no reflectors. My winter bike is festooned with them as it does go out after dark.
  • Biomech
    My rear light came with 2 o-rings (Cat Eye Rapid X) a big an a small.
    Thinking the small was for a different size seatpost, I think I've thrown it out.
    Turns out it was so that you can put the light on the seat stays :P

So - 2 questions;

Where's the best place to get a replacement o-ring? I'm thinking some shop will have them for 50p or something? (£2 +p&p on ebay)

Secondly, is there any type of rear reflector that will affix under the seat itself? Not the post, but the horizontal bars in the seat? Because that would be pretty cool, discreet, hidden, yet seen from the rear

TIA
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    marcusjb wrote:
    I do think that pedal reflectors and the distinctive pattern they create when headlights catch them is a very clear indication that it is a cyclist ahead - however, they are utterly impractical to achieve a legal solution on pretty much any clipless pedal.

Whilst I accept that it's not legal, I wear a pair of ankle bands when riding at night.

I personally think that retro-reflectives are just as important as lights and can increase visibility and awareness far more than the latest million watt eye-burner lights.

Most shoes come with reflective tabs at the back, don't they? My Shimanos and Loius Garneaus do.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    apreading wrote:

It isnt a grey area - the guidelines are clear but they just arent enforced and most flout them a little, many flout them alot...

It's a grey area because the lighting regulations come from a very different time and haven't been updated. There are many better solutions now than what was envisaged as a basic standard.

It's far better to do what it takes to be seen rather than comply with the Regulations at their most basic level. Of course you can STILL have reflectors and do what it takes to be seen but, by and large, the reflectors will be almost entirely redundant in such situations.

What is important is good lights, preferably a few of them, and then other good things like reflective clothing and, one of the best, reflective sidewalls.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    "Biomech wrote:

"Secondly, is there any type of rear reflector that will affix under the seat itself? Not the post, but the horizontal bars in the seat? Because that would be pretty cool, discreet, hidden, yet seen from the rear"

My Giant Defy came with a rear reflector that clips into the seat rails, ok if you aren't using a saddle bag. If you have a Giant retailer near to you ask them if they have any going spare.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Granted reflectors/reflectives aren't much use unless light hits them = night or low light most likely. I'm guessing most on here know that and are talking about using them in the darker hours. Otherwise it's probably hi-viz is better. Personally I have 2 bikes, 1 is roadworthy and used for leisure and commuting. Discrete reflectives during the day, bright white at night when light hits them. Seems a good idea after several bright lights, all road legal reflectors, hi-viz clothing and good road awareness/position. It all adds to your safety IMHO.
  • Biomech
    I just found the small o-ring :D So now I can put the read light on the seat stay and free up room on the seat post for the stock reflector