SRAM Force 22 compatible with Force 10

Xommul
Xommul Posts: 251
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi Folks

Anyone know if i can use the newer SRAM Force 22 11 speed front derallieur with my 10 speed Force rear deralieur and 10 Speed Shifters and cassette.

On CRC the Force 22 Front Derailleur is the same price as the old 10 speed one. Thinking of the Yaw function and weight saving and was going to replace it soon anyway.

Cheers
MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er

Comments

• patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Yes you can and it works rather well. You will still get some chain rub in extreme gears, but that's no different to what you'd get now.

It's a bit more fiddly to set up as it's a yaw derailleur so follow the instructions closely and watch some vids.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    patrickf wrote:
    Yes you can and it works rather well. You will still get some chain rub in extreme gears, but that's no different to what you'd get now.

It's a bit more fiddly to set up as it's a yaw derailleur so follow the instructions closely and watch some vids.

You won't always get chain rub. I switched both my FDs to Yaw 22 ones (SRAM 10 speed) and whilst 1 bike does get chain rub at the extremes of chain angle, the other bike gets none. Both are using Rotor Aero chain rings. It's definitely an improvement over standard SRAM 10 speed FDs and I still haven't fathomed out why SRAM sell the Yaw 22 FD cheaper than the 10 speed one.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    There was/is a 10 speed Yaw front mech (though perhaps that was only in Red), so that might be an option. Works fine with my 10 speed setup with no rub. Is tricky to setup, but once you have it working then it does not seem to require any further changes (well not so far after 18 months or so).
  • gloomyandy
    Ah just realized you want to use 10 speed shifters. I have the Red version of those which are designed for use with the yaw mech. Do the Force 10 ones have front mech trim on them (the Red 10 ones I have do not). Sorry for any confusion.
  • StillGoing
    A Yaw 22 front derailleur works fine (read even better than the standard 10) with standard 10 speed shifters. You don't need a Yaw 10 front derailleur.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Ah just realized you want to use 10 speed shifters. I have the Red version of those which are designed for use with the yaw mech. Do the Force 10 ones have front mech trim on them (the Red 10 ones I have do not). Sorry for any confusion.
    Trim is built into the shifters is it not? Can't remember if I still have trim with my Force 10 / 22 FD combo or not as I never use it.

As for the rub, I think a large part is down to the Q factor and the chainset in use.
  • gloomyandy
    I have two bikes with Red 10 speed on them, the older set has trim and was developed for the non yaw mech, the newer set has no trim and was designed for use with the raw front mech. Can't remember if any of the other 10 speed SRAM shifters had versions for use with the raw front mech. I assume the difference in price between 10 speed yaw and 11 speed yaw is because only Red had yaw in 10 speed form, is that correct? Not sure what the differences are between Red and Force for a front mech. I deliberately used a Force rear mech with my otherwise Red setup as I didn't want the ceramic bearings.
  • StillGoing
    gloomyandy wrote:
    I have two bikes with Red 10 speed on them, the older set has trim and was developed for the non yaw mech, the newer set has no trim and was designed for use with the raw front mech. Can't remember if any of the other 10 speed SRAM shifters had versions for use with the raw front mech. I assume the difference in price between 10 speed yaw and 11 speed yaw is because only Red had yaw in 10 speed form, is that correct? Not sure what the differences are between Red and Force for a front mech. I deliberately used a Force rear mech with my otherwise Red setup as I didn't want the ceramic bearings.

I have 2010 10 speed Force shifters and 2012 10 speed Red shifters on two road bikes. Both have a Force Yaw 22 front derailleur. The SRAM front shifter has always had trim capability and this still works with the Yaw 22 FD as it's the tension on the cable that is changed with the trim function. It makes no difference whether the shifters are 10 or 11 speed for the Yaw 22 derailleur to work. It's just surprising how much smoother it is than the 10 speed FD when used with a 10 speed set up.