Who's stupid enough? Warning Tri content inside..

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
A) Who's stupid enough to do an Ironman?

B) Who was stupid enough to do a second one?

It appears that over a few pints of Guinness I have kicked a ball that's going to keep on rolling until summer 2016

The road to IM #2 has started. :oops:

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    iPete wrote:

It appears that over a few pints of Guinness, I have kicked a ball that's going to keep on rolling until summer 2016

Paging elderly triantelope Greg66...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i really want to do one... might need to learn to walk first though
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Oi, Steady! All this talk of triantelopism is planting seeds you know...

Plus the other half has taught me to avoid drowning with style now...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My mate has just done one.

he is a wierdo as well....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • iPete
    I really miss getting up before 6 am to go for a run or get into a giant rubber suit to swim around a green slime infested lake and not to forget a special mention to the people who inhabit the fast lane at the leisure centre.

:shock:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:

It appears that over a few pints of Guinness I have kicked a ball that's going to keep on rolling until summer 2016

Idiot.
    I'm also tempted.
    How good was your swimming before you began the lunacy first time around? I know Greg sees the swim as a relaxing warm up before the rest, whereas my swimming is more about survival than appearing graceful.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    Have a glut of forumittes just turned/about to turn 40?

it can be the only explaination. At least i have a few more years before mine kicks in.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i really want to do one... might need to learn to walk first though

Me too. I even joined COLT tri club.

But I can't swim.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • iPete
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Idiot.
    I'm also tempted.
    How good was your swimming before you began the lunacy first time around? I know Greg sees the swim as a relaxing warm up before the rest, whereas my swimming is more about survival than appearing graceful.

Awful, started off swimming doing 25m at a time! After a month going 3x per week I built up to 1 mile, as soon as the breathing clicks you just keep going, be it slowly.

I left the water around 700th place with a 1:23 swim but got off the bike within the top 200, triantelope are poor cyclists which adds to the fun. :twisted:
  • dhope
    iPete wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Idiot.
    I'm also tempted.

Awful, started off swimming doing 25m at a time! After a month going 3x per week I built up to 1 mile, as soon as the breathing clicks you just keep going, be it slowly.

I left the water around 700th place with a 1:23 swim but got off the bike within the top 200, triantelope are poor cyclists which adds to the fun. :twisted:
    3 times a week. Swimming. Just while learning to breathe.
    Yeah, that's put me off it for another year. Cheers :D

Though passing 1-2 people every minute on the bike leg must've kept the spirits up
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    being entirely useless at swimming and a broken runner with my arthritic hips I can sadly never join this you oddites. :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I would love to do one.

I used to swim for Northumberland and I've got a half marathon best of 1hr 40 (when weighing 85kg and smoking 20 a day). Unfortunately, when presented with an opportunity to do some sport I prefer to go for a bike ride.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Used to do some running, but left me with bad knees and shin splints.

I would give it a go if I could swim more than 100m without feeling like i'd cycled 200miles.
    I think I really need swimming lessons, as i'm kind of self taught and think my technique is awful.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • iPete wrote:

Me, in Austria in 2006.

Not yet, but I'm giving it some thought...
  • rubertoe
    231.jpg

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    This thread is one of those very rare occasions that I appear to be one of the sensible ones.
  • Always said "I'd do one" but as a crap swimmer I've never been brave enough to try, might be spurred on by my 6 year old soon as she's besotted with the whole thing and is on the waiting list to join our local club :)
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've started doing sprint tri's this year. Quite a laugh, though I'm already considering taking it to another level. Olympic distance next year. Half ironman after that. An ironman just sounds bonkers though. Imagine doing a century time trial then having to run a MARATHON. (I haven't mentioned the swim as I can't conceive what one & half hours of swimming is like).
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This thread is one of those very rare occasions that I appear to be one of the sensible ones.

If you ever come on here and say you have signed up to a triathlon or ironman. I leave and hang up my wheelset

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I wouldn't say all tripods are bad cyclists. I ride with a triathlon club at weekends and they set a reasonable pace.

Five of them are representing GB at the world championships in Edmonton.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

If you ever come on here and say you have signed up to a triathlon or ironman. I leave and hang up my wheelset
    No danger of that happening. I have been swimming today, but I am on holiday so it's allowed.
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Have a glut of forumittes just turned/about to turn 40?

it can be the only explaination. At least i have a few more years before mine kicks in.

It's getting close, worryingly the physo did mention running.....

But luckily I have almost no competive instinct.
  • Sprint and Olympic triathlons done. Planning a half iron man in 2015 and a full iron man (somewhere hot and sunny) in 2016.
  • iPete
    turning 30 perhaps a bit young for all this ;)

Looking forward to it, still have early 2015 to get my bike racing down before the running needs to start and where as last time was a largely solo affair, should be a good bunch of lads this time.
  • rubertoe
    Please make your way quietly to here http://www.triradar.com/ and leave us normal folk alone....

• ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Yeah I did Challenge Roth last year. Was out of the water in 1:07 and then 5:42 on the bike. I'd rather not talk about the run! Cramps and more cramps! The chap who won managed to average nearly 27mph for 112 miles (from memory), lapped me on a two lap course with the camera bike beeping me out of the way. Pretty humbling! He's finished before I got off the bike!

I was very, very close to pressing the button on Ironman Germany this year but I think I'll just do another half as I want to see my daughter and I don't want a divorce!

That and the Mallorca 312 for me, I think.
  • iPete wrote:

It appears that over a few pints of Guinness, I have kicked a ball that's going to keep on rolling until summer 2016

Paging elderly triantelope Greg66...

You rang, m'Lady?

I too have tentative sights on a second one in 2016. I'll have moved up an age group by then, so obv will be super super fast compared to all the other old farts in that AG.

<delusional>
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Signed up for outlaw half in 2015

Just started swimming lessons....
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I do not feel the urge at all & I'm coming up to 50.

Aged 40 I traded my Subaru Impreza Turbo in for a Volvo estate, sort of sums me up.
  • dhope
    Pufftmw wrote:
    I do not feel the urge at all & I'm coming up to 50.
    Just wait, 30 more years and it'll kick in, just like it did with Greg.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo