Layering for Oct/Nov Sportives

se99paj
se99paj Posts: 22
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
So after a few years of only cycling in the summer my girlfriend has suggested we attempt a few sportives later this year. I'm all for doing the sportives as I need any opportunity to improve my bike fitness, I'm not too concerned with the distance, but I'm concerned about the weather and how to be best prepared.

At the moment I mainly cycle in bib shorts, jersey and take a windproof jacket with me, if its a bit chilly I wear a baselayer top underneath the jersey.

I could do with some advice what would be essential for Oct/Nov weather, money is on a budget so can't buy everything. At the moment my essential list includes waterproof jacket and gloves, but do I need to consider caps, thermal trousers, overshoes.

I'm also hoping that a baselayer, jersey and jacket would suitable for most weather conditions, I can always take a spare top if I need to, but hope I'll be hot enough.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wouldn't bother with the waterproof jacket - they don't really serve much purpose - I have one and I rare use it. Either it isn't raining that much and all you do is sweat inside it or it is raining a lot in which case the water will get in eventually whatever you wear. You can do pretty well just with layers - eg cheap base layer, long sleeve autumn jersey, lightweight packable windproof jacket. If colder, an insulated windproof jacket is good though those are generally too bulky to remove mid ride so you need to be sure you won't overheat in it.

I'd probably add roubaix bibtights (or leg warmers at least), decent overshoes (eg BBB), gloves (possibly neoprene), waterproof socks, buffs (more versatile than caps) and mudguards (which can save for feet for a fair while unless it gets really wet).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 to what Rolf says.

Everyone is different though - I've been in shorts and short sleeves on days in summer when I've seen people in full thermal tights and jackets.

Depends so much on temperature, winds, rain, distance, intensity,personal preference. It could be that you can get away with less than your girlfriend or vice versa.

If you start off feeling a bit cool - then you're probably good to go as exercise will build up heat.

That said - its easier to unzip than it is to put on a layer than you havent got...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Arm and leg warmers are very versatile - get leg warmers if you havent got any "longs", arm warmers you can live without if you have a longsleeved top.

Overshoes - just cheap BBB or DHB ones are fine - are a god send on a cold wet day - probably best investment you can make - rest is just layers under your windproof.

Oh and warm long gloves - must be an Aldi /Lidl cycle sale coming up soon!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Endura overshoes, arm warmers, leg warmers, Endura 3/4 bibs, merino long sleeved base layer, jersey (multiple choices thereof) Gore-Tex Path jacket, merino buff, Endura skullcap, Endura Deluge gloves.
    This lot kept me going through last winter, sometimes worn all at once!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Endura overshoes, arm warmers, leg warmers, Endura 3/4 bibs, merino long sleeved base layer, jersey (multiple choices thereof) Gore-Tex Path jacket, merino buff, Endura skullcap, Endura Deluge gloves.

So you didn't read the OP
    money is on a budget so can't buy everything
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    Everyone is different though - I've been in shorts and short sleeves on days in summer when I've seen people in full thermal tights and jackets.

Depends so much on temperature, winds, rain, distance, intensity,personal preference. It could be that you can get away with less than your girlfriend or vice versa.

This is important - ie know what your body needs. For example, there are people in my club who will be in short sleeves and shorts whilst I'm wearing arm and leg warmers - but they'll have base layers on and I won't. I find my core seems to stay warm easily enough but dodgy circulation means hands and feet tend to suffer whereas others can manage with fingerless mitts in winter but need lots of base layers.

If you keep riding as the temperatures drop, you should be able to work out what you need to add to your kit collection bit by bit. Unless of course we go straight into winter......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Cougie has it right. It is a very personal thing - some feel the cold (I certainly do) and others are happy in a short sleeve jersey in the foulest conditions.

As we go into autumn, there are three items that really help me personally (this is more about cold than wet):

Arm warmers
    Knee warmers
    Gilet

Having those three pieces (well five if we are being pedantic) in your back pockets gives you a range of options that will work into reasonably low temperatures. If you shop around, you don't have to pay much for any of them I am sure.

A buff is super useful - especially the ones with a bit of merino in them. Ears can be kept warm (though a wind proof ear band is really useful as winter kicks in), neck warmer, over the mouth to keep out frosty air etc.

Hands and feet are probably the next thing to deal with - again it is really personal as to how your extremities deal with cold.

Long fingered gloves are great - but, add a pair of merino or silk liners and they will take you deep into winter - build up your clothing collection as you see bargains and the season progresses. Wet riding and waterproof gloves is tricky - I don't bother generally with anything beyond the long fingered gloves and merino liners - my hands stay warm despite being wet (but some people will need waterproof gloves).

Feet - feet are tricky. Overshoes are good in cold conditions, make some difference in wet conditions. If you have space in your shoes, a pair of wooly socks is also good (and can stay warm even when wet).

As we move into winter, a pair of warm tights would be useful - I have a pair of DHB roubaix tights and have been impressed with them.

But it is all so personal and needs a bit of working out and building up - hope for a gradual transition into winter, so you can spread your budget etc.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I don't mind being wet provided it's warm and wet. In my experience of wet conditions you will never keep dry if you're putting in any significant level of effort - you will either be wet from the rain or wet from sweat. Personally hands and feet are my biggest issue. Overshoes and decent socks are fantastic as others have said; I don't personally feel particularly uncomfortable if my feet are over warm so I will wear these if I'm in any doubt whatsoever about the conditions. It took me an awful lot of trial and error, however, to find the right combination of gloves to keep my hands warm in all weathers, eventually I went for Gore wind stopper gloves with various liner gloves when the weather is at its worst. I use Roubaix arm and leg warmers for cooler spring and autumn rides. I have a couple of long sleeve Merino baselayers for winter which I combine with DHB Roubaix bibtights and sometimes a DHB wind slammer windproof jersey. I also use a light, packable windproof.

I built this up over time - started with feet, a baselayer, hands and arm/leg warmers which gets me through everything but very cold rides (down to 5 degrees ish). I added the Roubaix bibtights and windproof jersey later.

That's what worked for me but, like others have said, we're all different
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    To wear with summer kit:
    Mid-weight merino socks (Or Prendas Thermocool are a personal favourite)
    Arm warmers (both Lycra and Roubaix types)
    Knee warmers (both types again)
    Packable Gilet
    Over socks
    Autumn gloves
    Merino base layers (short and long sleeve)

To wear instead of summer kit:
    Windproof jerseys (eg DhB windslam, short sleeve and long sleeve)
    Roubaix shorts and 3/4s

For wet weather:
    Overshoes
    Wet weather gloves
    Wet weather jerseys, shorts, arm/leg warmers etc (eg. Castelli Gabba, Sportful no-rain - these are expensive and only worth it if you're going to be riding in the wet a lot)
    Packable gilet or jacket

For winter:
    Winter long sleeve jersey (can be windproof as well as insulated)
    Roubaix bib-longs (padless; to be worn with summer shorts underneath)
    Winter gloves
    Some kind of hat
    Buff
    Winter jacket (expensive and you can get away without except on the coldest days where it comes in handy - I tend to layer up my windproof stuff rather than having a jacket)

That will cover you from 15c to 0c and most conditions... Apart from if its really wet and cold.

As above, build it up over time, buying it when you need it. So i'd start with arm and leg warmers for this time of year.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    t4tomo wrote:
    Gethinceri wrote:

So you didn't read the OP
    money is on a budget so can't buy everything

Yes, I did read the OP. Where did I direct them to buy everything I have? I listed what I used last winter.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Re budget - if you have a Decathlon superstore near you (and I mean within an hour or so travel) then it's worth having a trawl through - they do some great prices on much of this stuff, and not all of it in the cycling section. they do very cheap merino-rich long and short sleeve tops in the outdoor section. Well worth a visit. I went to the one in Stockport the other day and had to stop myself going overboard on stuff I actually didn't need!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    I got the Aldi windproof base layer in their last (or last but one) cycle event - about £5 from memory and excellent performance. Worn under even a short sleeved jersey, it will keep you warm on all but the coldest days.

Rather than a waterproof jacket, I like the waterproof gilets that are perforated (a bit like tea bags) fro breath ability. Easy to pack (fits in a back pocket of your jersey) , easy to wear and keeps you dry where you really need to be dry - Castelli do a really nice small (when packed) one but it is about £70.

Cannot over stress the overshoe thing - dry when wet out, warm when cold out.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitely have a look at the Aldi kit.

I have an Assos winter jacket as well as an Aldi one. The Assos was about 10x the price but I reckon the Aldi is probably the better design. And their gloves are good too - £5 or so for a pair ? As good as ones much more expensive and you wont cry if you lose one.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I did Hell of Hexham last year, it was windy and a bit damp and I had an early start (20 miles to the start line). So it was dark when I set out. It was the last weekend in september.

Juersy, bib shorts, knee warmers and a thin wind proof and endura overshoes. The over shoes, knee warmers and jacket were stashed after the first climb.

There's plenty of Aldi kit in my cycling gear cupboard.
    Skull cap, base layer, arm and leg warmers, winter trousers and thermal tights.

Down to 10C jersey and shorts.
    10-7C add arm warmers and leg warmers. Much more flexible for those days with a 10C temperature change from morning to evening.
    8C to 4C change arm and leg warmers or to base layer add skull cap, consider a gillet.
    5C to 0C change to winter trousers and jacket or stay as you were and add a thin wind proof or gillet.
    0C to -5C winter tyres, over shoes.
    -5 to -10C add thermal socks.
    -10C and under add a layer every 5C

I reckon wind over 20 mph is worth -5C to 10C, wet is worth -5C
    Once it snows I take the mountain bike with snow/ice tyres and largely avoid riding on the road.

Your preferences will vary but better to be flexible as 0C when you leave the house can easily be 15C by late afternoon or -5C with snow/wind/hail at the top of the climbs if you're in proper hills. Watch out for the boiling on the way up and sweating buckets into your thermals on the way up then freezing as you hit the plateau or the next descent. Once temperatures are around 0 watch out for ice especially on north facing sections.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds like the OP already has a fair amount of gear (tops, base layers, wind proof jacket etc) so probably just needs so cheap but good additions.

Personally unless it's really cold/wet could get away with arm warmers and some pad-less 3/4's, gloves & oversocks/overshoes. If wearing a baselayer too then should be OK with your wind proof but might in fact get too hot which is why a Gillet is a good cheap option. Add in a cheap buff or cycling cap for under the helmet and your away.

I spend pretty much most of my winter riding in similar kit, unless it's really cold/wet in which case I get away with a base layer and my waterproof jacket for the top.

There are plenty of bargain brands that offer top quality gear at cheap prices so you won't need to break the bank. As a few others have said it does depend on how hot/cold your body runs but if you keep your options simple and flexible you can't really go wrong.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • se99paj
    se99paj Posts: 22
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, lots to consider.

I think I'll buy a few cheap additions like arm/leg warmers and gloves then see how I get on as it gets colder. I'll have plenty of training rides between now and then so should understand what would best suit me.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    I # would # go for a decent waterproof jacket. Being soaked through is the worst thing. I have been so cold owing to being wet through that I have had difficulty braking as I couldn't feel my hands. I do agree with the poster who said that they can be boil in the bag, and sadly, price is not a guide to quality, but after several expensive mistakes, Rapha jackets actually work. I'm still on a quest for waterproof overshoes though ......

October/November and the weather can be brutal - but hey, I cycled in the snow in July in France this year so .......
  • I got some lidl winter gloves for £4 and bib longs for £10 on bank holiday monday.
    you might be lucky and still get some.
    also got one of the more expensive aldi long sleeve jackets at £30 which are still in some stores from last november. along with the cheaper tops around £12 - £14 so it might be worth checking both stores.

aldi will have their bike stuff in a week or two and should be arm and leg warmers. over shoes etc.
  • I did Hell of Hexham last year, it was windy and a bit damp and I had an early start (20 miles to the start line). So it was dark when I set out. It was the last weekend in september.

It was certainly windy but not that damp. I started out with a short sleeve jersey and arm warmers but was able to take the arm warmers off half way around. Which is typical for a Autumn and Spring that it'll warm up through the day.

I also had the attitude on that ride that it was about the last of the year which led to a bit of a lull but I ended up doing bigger milages later in the year as it was a mild winter.