New Winter Boots -recommendations?

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Need some new boots this winter. I will be using with neoprene overshoes as it gets horrifically wet and cold around here. Appreciate the water still runs in from the top but looking for a recommendation. Probably best with a Gore Tex boot?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I use MTB SPD boots for winter as you generally need to walk-about a bit more - I've had some Sidi Diablos for a few years and they've been great and you can find good offers on them at the moment. This includes 6 hour MTB rides in snow - but for really cold or wet conditions I do use neoprene overshoes, otherwise like any boot, water simply runs down the leg and soaks your socks(edit).
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    cheers, the Sidi Hydro road winter boot is £129 at the moment. Did you go up a size on the winter boots?
    I'm a 42 in SIDI Ergo 2 shoes that I race in. Not sure if I'd need a 43 in the SIDI winter boots with the thicker socks?
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-fahre ... oad-shoes/

I bought these last winter. With a pair of merino wool socks I used them in minus temps and wet. I get cold feet easy but they stayed toasty. I wouldn't be without them now.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    TheHound wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-fahrenheit-gtx-gore-tex-winter-road-shoes/

I bought these last winter. With a pair of merino wool socks I used them in minus temps and wet. I get cold feet easy but they stayed toasty. I wouldn't be without them now.

Aye. This. I'm a long time sufferer or cold feet in anything below 10 degrees. These changed my winter riding. These plus woolie boolies did for the whole of last winter. If it gets colder this year I'll just add another pair of socks. Waterproof to a degree too.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    TheHound wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-fahrenheit-gtx-gore-tex-winter-road-shoes/

I have the road and MTB version of those shoes and they always keep my feet warm and dry.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME the Sidi boots are a bit bigger than their regular race shoe size - enough room to accommodate a pair of Woolie Boolies but tight shoes in winter are a sure fire way of cold, painful feet IME. I have Sidi and Northwave shoes but Sidi shade it in terms of quality of material and construction. Lake or 45Nrth are also recommended for 'arctic' conditions.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..