Techniques for numpties

PaddyG68
PaddyG68 Posts: 34
edited September 2014 in MTB beginners
I've been MTBing for quite a few years now, but I've never mastered some of the more technical aspects such as riding steps, drop-offs, steep downhill/uphill and bunny-hops, for example (looks fondly at his local, flat, easy single trail routes). To be honest, some of them scare me shitless, for fear of going arse over tit, or worse. I've looked at a quite a few vids, but it's always by guys who perform each manoeuvre perfectly and effortlessly. How did you overcome your initial fears and can you recommend some demos of total numpties trying these things out?
2011 Scott Spark Team 29er
2014 Cannondale CAAD8 7 Sora

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Subscribe online to IMB mag (an online mag) and read the technique articles on there that Richard Kelly does.

Or better still, get down to Surrey Hills and do an "All Bike Up" tuition day (with Richard!).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • PaddyG68
    Subscribe online to IMB mag (an online mag) and read the technique articles on there that Richard Kelly does.

Or better still, get down to Surrey Hills and do an "All Bike Up" tuition day (with Richard!).

Sorry, should have it in my profile; I live in Switzerland :(.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Try and get hold of Brian Lopes MTB Technique book - its not great but does cover things reasonably well, but basically weight back is key to most things - butt back off the saddle and over the rear axles, flat back flex arms and legs and let the damn bike move around under you.

Build up to things - ride off a curb, ride a couple of steps, play around with lifting the front wheel, lifting the back wheel, get used to being on the bike and getting it to do things.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • lostboysaint
    PaddyG68 wrote:

Sorry, should have it in my profile; I live in Switzerland :(.

That won't stop you subscribing to IMB (free!) and picking up the excellent articles.

I assume you ski? Cornering, treat your bike like you should ski, so weighting the outside pedal to help grip in turns, keeping your weight centred over it. There's been a couple of really good videos (Peaty following Ratboy down the new Meribel DH run was one) which shows how you should be looking to "flow" downhill, keeping your weight back, heels down, outside pedal weighted on corners, weight above the bike etc.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • PaddyG68
    You know, that's a really interesting point; I'd never likened it to skiing, but it makes complete sense.
  • lostboysaint
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tHbLdf0v104 - watch Ratboy ahead of Peaty, see how he moves "above" his bike and where he weights his pedals.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The most important thing to remember for jumps is "when in doubt go flat out" Remember that and you will go a long way.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ......and be going faster when you do land.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ...whichever way up that happens to be...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Given his driving and post driving history, you would think people would be wary of using one of Mr McRae's (aka McCrash) mantras! Especially if you read the CAA report into the helicopter accident.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    ......and be going faster when you do land.......

Exactly 8)
    Speed is your friend (Just heavy metal legend Lemmy). The worst crashes I have seen have been caused by insufficient speed.
  • For me it's just building up slowly and getting used to trusting yourself and the bike.

When I got my new bike in late April, I was bricking it going through a steep over grown deer trail, into a very rocky rock garden then down a slippery/loose steep bank with 6ft of run off into a railing. But now it's just another part of the loop, just a lot faster now(cool story bro) the same with an uneven meandering stair set which I only attempted and cleared for the first time on Monday (bottled it every other time before)

There is no way my skill has improved that much in 4 months, it's all confidence.

However...... When it does build, don't get cocky with it......had a lesson in standing up this week, not huge thankfully.

CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • rockmonkeysc
    Confidence is very important for riding well. Staying off the brakes is often very important for riding steep/loose/technical stuff and you can't stay off the brakes if you don't have confidence in your ability to ride it out.
  • The best thing I have read recently for riding steeper stuff and technical terrain related to body position on the bike.\

Basically it was another way of saying weight back - imagine a side on view of yourself riding whatever terrain. If you picture the bike removed from the picture would you land on your feet?

The point being if you are forward with weight on your hands and bars then without the bike youd fall forward onto your hands, what you want is your weight back to the extent you are standing on the pedals, the hands are just out there to apply the brakes and steer with a nice light touch - I was working on it and it was going well until I went riding with some new people and lost my focus at the end of the day and binned it. :roll:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.