Garmin 1000/810/800 thoughts

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited August 2014 in Road general
Hi chaps,

I've wanted a satnav solution for my bike for years... Nearly purchased an Edge 800, nearly purchased an 810 and now the 1000 has come out... Looking at reviews on Wiggle for the 1000 it seems its not a reliable bit of kit yet... The price tag is also huge - as is the screen - can't help but think the screen is now too big!???

So, 800s are still for sale at £200 these days, 810 for £250-£300 - Is the 810 better than the 800? Or is the 800 still the best satnav solution out there from Garmin? Read lots of reviews of the 810 freezing up and turning itself off mid ride... I want something reliable that works... I currently use a Forerunner 305 and not satnav... Forerunner has NEVER failed... I fear all the new stuff they are packing into the new models makes them less reliable and robust... Is an old skool 800 the best bet? Is the 810 as reliable?

Appreciate some owners thoughts here...

Can I put Open Street maps onto the 800 via the SD card?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    plenty of 800s around under £200. if you don't mind plugging it in or using a memory card for synching the 800 is the one to go for.

using open source maps and you have a pretty useful device.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-edge-80 ... vQodJbAAHg
  • dubbs2009
    diy wrote:
    plenty of 800s around under £200. if you don't mind plugging it in or using a memory card for synching the 800 is the one to go for.

Thanks - Memory card for synching? You mean map data - not ride data yeh? I am old skool - happy to use a wire to download ride data still yep :)
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    edited August 2014
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    diy wrote:

Thanks - Memory card for synching? You mean map data - not ride data yeh? I am old skool - happy to use a wire to download ride data still yep :)
    On the 800 you do not need a memory card for syncing. All your rides can be stored on the main memory. It will reach a point eventually when it is full and then you can delete them. Once they are synced there really is no reason to keep them on the unit anyway. I clear mine off monthly.

The memory card is useful for map storage. I have some very big areas on my Garmin so I just keep all the maps on the card.

The 800 is excellent value for money. The screen is adequate for the job, it's reliable and less liable to be nicked,
  • Bought a 810 last week, only used it 3 rides but love it already. Was a big jump from a 200 but love the cadence and HRM facility. I will use it during the winter on my turbo as well (couldn't use the 200) so its a win win for me.

I don't regret buying it. It was £282 on wiggle with the cadence and HRM included.

I must have set it correct as well because after I climbed off my bike it appeared straight away on Strava. Wife loves the tracking facility as well so she can see where I am!
  • diy
    The USB connectors are very unreliable and mine wont go in to mass storage mode any more - it still charges fine, so I record all the data to a 2GB memory card and manually upload it to strava or whatever. I do the same when I am downloading a course file for an event. worth getting a cadence sensor too as it helps with accuracy as well as additional data. obviously HR belt is a must otherwise no point in buying an Edge

you can download the maps from here: http://talkytoaster.co.uk/ukmaps.htm

they are reasonably accurate and often have more useful info on than the OS maps (trail names for example which are handy for MTBers)

Also for the really geeky out there you can sync it with a gopro and overlay your data on a ride e.g.:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHc_c0jitMA
  • dubbs2009
    OK, so 800 and 810 sound much better solution than the 1000 - Just need to better understand if the 810 is better than the 800 and why... e.g. in real usage terms not what Garmin USPs say :)
  • diy
    Its the pairing connectivity which is the main difference. The ability to pair the 810 to a phone and use the phone for mobile data analysis or live tracking rather than storing the data on the memory card and copying it via a computer. The 810 could allow you to download a course on the fly from your mobile assuming you have a 3g network handy.

Put it this way - I never felt the need to upgrade ~ £70 - £100 price difference.
  • dubbs2009
    Anyone used the Strava app to follow directions yet? > http://blog.strava.com/discover-a-new-r ... hone-7749/ that on my iPhone might make buying an Edge not necessary! I have a Forerunner 305, with HR monitor and cadence already and to track ride data that works just fine - what is missing is when I want to ride out on new routes - being able to follow a route on a screen is what I am after...
  • dubbs2009
    diy wrote:
    Its the pairing connectivity which is the main difference. The ability to pair the 810 to a phone and use the phone for mobile data analysis or live tracking rather than storing the data on the memory card and copying it via a computer. The 810 could allow you to download a course on the fly from your mobile assuming you have a 3g network handy.

Put it this way - I never felt the need to upgrade ~ £70 - £100 price difference.

OK thanks - good analysis. Live tracking seems like a gimmick to me. In terms of performance and actual mapping tech - is the 810 the same as the 800 then?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My 1000 on OS v2.30 is rock stable.

Mine came with this latest OS and has proved 100% reliable, although I have only had it for 3 rides. I was chatting with another user on Saturday and his first one went back. The replacement, also using v2.30 has been 100% reliable for him too. It is annoying that Garmin first issues are often buggy but this looks to be sorted now.

I love the way it uploads before I have put my bike in the car. I haven't tried live tracking yet but followed a mate on a Paris ride and it worked really well. If you like segment riding, you will love racing against your PBs on the 1000. I have now bought an EWW01 so mine also displays my Di2 gearing but the real leap in performance is the map display. The resolution of the roads and the smoothness of the map movement are far superior to the 800/810 screens.

For the small cost over the 810, I would recommend the 1000. For something basic and cheap, the 800 is still a good bet.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • diy
    yep the actual function as a gps, map display data recorder etc are no different though the gps sensitivity slightly better on the 810 but accuracy is the same as far as I can see. Never seen any review saying the x10 are more accurate/reliable etc. Some say the opposite.

There are other apps out there that can track your location via a smart phone.

when I was buying it was touch screen, mapping, integration to hr and cadence and custom display but given the 1000 is mid £350, 810 is £250 vs the 800 mid 150 quid its not really something think long about.
  • dubbs2009
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    My 1000 on OS v2.30 is rock stable.

Mine came with this latest OS and has proved 100% reliable, although I have only had it for 3 rides. I was chatting with another user on Saturday and his first one went back. The replacement, also using v2.30 has been 100% reliable for him too. It is annoying that Garmin first issues are often buggy but this looks to be sorted now.

I love the way it uploads before I have put my bike in the car. I haven't tried live tracking yet but followed a mate on a Paris ride and it worked really well. If you like segment riding, you will love racing against your PBs on the 1000. I have now bought an EWW01 so mine also displays my Di2 gearing but the real leap in performance is the map display. The resolution of the roads and the smoothness of the map movement are far superior to the 800/810 screens.

For the small cost over the 810, I would recommend the 1000. For something basic and cheap, the 800 is still a good bet.

Thanks for the info - glad to hear they have fixed the early issues. Id love to see a video of an 800 vs 810 vs 1000 following the same route on a bike... be great to see how the mapping compares!
  • dubbs2009
    diy wrote:
    yep the actual function as a gps, map display data recorder etc are no different though the gps sensitivity slightly better on the 810 but accuracy is the same as far as I can see. Never seen any review saying the x10 are more accurate/reliable etc. Some say the opposite.

There are other apps out there that can track your location via a smart phone.

when I was buying it was touch screen, mapping, integration to hr and cadence and custom display but given the 1000 is mid £350, 810 is £250 vs the 800 mid 150 quid its not really something think long about.

Cheers - no iOS apps that allow turn by turn nav yet though... although Strava app might be bringing that in soon I do hope! Where have you found an 800 for £150!???
  • Bar Shaker
    Even used units on eBay go for more money than those prices.

A new 800 with performance bundle is nearly £300.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    I bought an 800 after the 810 was out - the extra features of the 810 didn't seem worth the cost to me (my phone can do live tracking by itself, and wireless sync didn't seem like a big deal since you need to plug it in to charge anyway). However, although the screen is fine for data display and turn by turn directions, I'm not impressed by it for map viewing (too small and low resolution). I find that I just get my phone out if I want a decent look at the area I'm in. So, if mapping is important to you, the 1000 could be worth another look.
  • dubbs2009
    RDW wrote:
    I bought an 800 after the 810 was out - the extra features of the 810 didn't seem worth the cost to me (my phone can do live tracking by itself, and wireless sync didn't seem like a big deal since you need to plug it in to charge anyway). However, although the screen is fine for data display and turn by turn directions, I'm not impressed by it for map viewing (too small and low resolution). I find that I just get my phone out if I want a decent look at the area I'm in. So, if mapping is important to you, the 1000 could be worth another look.

Thanks - great input - how much map browsing do you do on the device? I am not sure I would ever want to browse around a map - I would use it to follow a pre made route I create on my desktop computer, then just use the turn by turn directions to make it ride the right way! Likley to only ever browse a map top down if I got lost and / or the device directions messed up.... As you say though, you can always crack out your mobile in those scenarios I guess...

Sounds more and more like the 1000 is trying to be an iPhone - 810 moving that way with the only differences being the live track etc.. which as you say your phone can do for you... - I already have an iPhone - I want something small and well made to do turn by turn as well as track all the usual data of time, speed, cadence, hr etc... 800 sounds like the best bet?
  • RDW
    Bar Shaker wrote:

You should be able to get an 810 performance bundle for around that (e.g. Amazon). Handtec has refurbished 'as good as new' 800 bundles for £220 with full warranty.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    My 800 is dreadful as a Sat Nav. I once entered Lyme Regis where we were staying to Tri UK in Yeovil, when I was near Langport heading for Street, I decided I'd never use it as a Sat Nav again. I recently cycled from Bradford to the West Midlands, its suggested route was via Chesterfield, Nottingham and Coventry.
  • dubbs2009
    ChippyK wrote:
    My 800 is dreadful as a Sat Nav. I once entered Lyme Regis where we were staying to Tri UK in Yeovil, when I was near Langport heading for Street, I decided I'd never use it as a Sat Nav again. I recently cycled from Bradford to the West Midlands, its suggested route was via Chesterfield, Nottingham and Coventry.

I think there are 2 different things here:

1) Using it as a sat nav for it to create a route for you to follow and
    2) Using it to follow a route the owner has created on a desktop machine

I would never use it for option 1). I would only ever use it for option 2). The device would not have enough intelligence to create a good route option - so anyone following the route option 1 created should do it with care in my opinion. I am interested in how good the device is at performing option 2 - following a route I make on a desktop machine which is then transferred to the device and ridden.
  • dubbs2009
    RDW wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

You should be able to get an 810 performance bundle for around that (e.g. Amazon). Handtec has refurbished 'as good as new' 800 bundles for £220 with full warranty.

Cheers - the 800 still holds its value very well - feels to me like the 810 is a real dot release and the 1000 trying to become an iPhone.
  • RDW
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Thanks - great input - how much map browsing do you do on the device? I am not sure I would ever want to browse around a map - I would use it to follow a pre made route I create on my desktop computer, then just use the turn by turn directions to make it ride the right way! Likley to only ever browse a map top down if I got lost and / or the device directions messed up.... As you say though, you can always crack out your mobile in those scenarios I guess...

Sounds more and more like the 1000 is trying to be an iPhone - 810 moving that way with the only differences being the live track etc.. which as you say your phone can do for you... - I already have an iPhone - I want something small and well made to do turn by turn as well as track all the usual data of time, speed, cadence, hr etc... 800 sounds like the best bet?

Most of the time I just use the 800 as a glorified 500, so it's actually fine for me, and it sounds like it would fit your use as well. The price difference between the 800 and the 810 is less than it was when I bought mine, though, so it may come down to what deal you can get. Is the 810 worth the extra today? The 810 battery run time is a bit longer, and I'm guessing that using the live tracking on the 810 may use less of your phone's battery than running the GPS directly on your phone. Also, if your rides are relatively short (compared to the battery run time), using the wireless sync would reduce the number of times you have to plug in the USB cable, so there'd be less wear and tear on the connector. That's about all I can think of.
  • dubbs2009
    ChippyK wrote:

Perhaps Google Maps on iOS would be better for you > https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273406?hl=en-GB
  • RDW
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Cheers - the 800 still holds its value very well - feels to me like the 810 is a real dot release and the 1000 trying to become an iPhone.

Yes, the 810 does feel like a dot release - it doesn't even have the GLONASS capability that Garmin included in the 510 and 1000 (though I've seen a review that claims the 810 nevertheless manages to get a satellite lock faster than the 800). I'm guessing they didn't want to put too many resources into 810 development with the 1000 on the way.
  • dubbs2009
    RDW wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:

Most of the time I just use the 800 as a glorified 500, so it's actually fine for me, and it sounds like it would fit your use as well. The price difference between the 800 and the 810 is less than it was when I bought mine, though, so it may come down to what deal you can get. Is the 810 worth the extra today? The 810 battery run time is a bit longer, and I'm guessing that using the live tracking on the 810 may use less of your phone's battery than running the GPS directly on your phone. Also, if your rides are relatively short (compared to the battery run time), using the wireless sync would reduce the number of times you have to plug in the USB cable, so there'd be less wear and tear on the connector. That's about all I can think of.

Thanks - yep most of the time the 800/810 would be a glorified 500/510 with no need to follow directions - e.g. when on a training ride I know well, or a well signed sportive. The nav element is just to explore new areas - probs 20% usage - other 80% will be with the display set to speed, time, distance, hr, cadence and avrg speed.
  • dubbs2009
    So, if I don't actually upload my ride data to Garmin Connect (I prefer Strava), then the 810 offers me one thing... Live tracking above the 800? Is that the only difference? If so - then it's an 800 for me I think!
  • RDW
    I think you can transfer data from GC to Strava via various third party services, so you could still use wireless data this way, but haven't come across a direct method. So yes, might be simpler to use USB as with the 800. As for the other differences, there's a full comparison chart in this review:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garm ... eview.html
  • dubbs2009
    RDW wrote:
    I think you can transfer data from GC to Strava via various third party services, so you could still use wireless data this way, but haven't come across a direct method. So yes, might be simpler to use USB as with the 800. As for the other differences, there's a full comparison chart in this review:

Cheers - 810 doesn't seem the extra £s in my opinion based on this and everything else I have read.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    ChippyK wrote:

I would never use it for option 1). I would only ever use it for option 2). The device would not have enough intelligence to create a good route option - so anyone following the route option 1 created should do it with care in my opinion. I am interested in how good the device is at performing option 2 - following a route I make on a desktop machine which is then transferred to the device and ridden.
    I use option 2 with my 800. I have no problems. The only minor issue I get is if there is a cycle path next to road I have planned to ride down it will tell me to turn onto the path. It's easy to ignore.
  • dubbs2009
    wongataa wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    ChippyK wrote:

I use option 2 with my 800. I have no problems. The only minor issue I get is if there is a cycle path next to road I have planned to ride down it will tell me to turn onto the path. It's easy to ignore.

OK great - thanks for sharing your thoughts.
  • Bar Shaker
    RDW wrote:

You can now link your GC and Strava accounts so posting to one posts to both.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro