What to do with an old set of wheels and cassette

mrseanman
mrseanman Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I recently acquired a nice Peugeot Aneto (Reynolds pro tubing ~'80s ) as a hand-me-down. Unfortunately the transmission was poorly looked after and the wheels isn't in great shape either. The rear wheel has a nasty hop in it and it's rim nipples are worn round (£25 for a build at chain reaction). The front wheel is in good shape but both wheels have quite visible wear from the brakes. The wheels are mavic MA40s.
The rear cassette and chain need replacing as the cassette has some chipped teeth and the chain is nastily stretched. The cassette is unfortunately in an odd setup, it is a 6 speed uniglide. The shifter on the downtube, however, has 7 positions on it. The position for the smallest cog (which doesn't exist) doesn't cause any problems (it doesn't fling the chain off the cassette). The gears are surprisingly functional. The transmission is Shimano 600 if that's of any help.
Sorry about going on... my proposition is to buy a new set of wheels, put on a 7 speed cassette on there and be on my way after a few alterations to the derailleur.
My questions are, are those wheels worth saving? How problematic is the rim wear? Would my cassette plan work? If I keep the wheels what should I do about the cassette?

P.S before anyone says it. It's definitely a cassette, not a freewheel (it has the bulge) and is definitely 6 speeds. From that knowledge alone, I gathered that it was a uniglide, i.e I'm not certain.

Thanks

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The rear spacing is most likely 126 mm , so for modern wheels the frame must be bent at 130 mm.
    Then you can use any modern rear wheel with freehub for 7-10 speed.
    Uniglide part are becoming rare these days, so repair isn't useful.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Can you switch the indexing off on the DT shifters? If so, friction shifting is easy to use an easier to set up; set limit screws and off you go...

You could switch the freehub body for a hyperglide body, then use a newer cassette. http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant