HELP: 300 Mile Road Bike with a Budget:

BlakeJess
BlakeJess Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello Everyone !

I need your help ! I am taking part in a charity event for the military in September and I was told we would be doing 200 Miles over 5 days. I have now just received the detailed route plan it it actually will be 305 Miles in 6 days !!

I own a Cube SL LTD MTB and I thought my MTB would be sufficient for 200 miles but now I have learned the true extent of how far I will be biking I know it will not cut it. The fat tyres and heavy frame will make it a very hard journey.

I need a Road Bike that will last me 300 miles in 6 days, I have roadside support from Green Jersey Cycling so if little things go wrong they can fix it but I need a bike that can last 300 miles, 6 days road biking. I also need it to be as cheap as possible however if I had to say a max budget it would be £600. Anything under £500 would be great !

Alternately could you suggest a place I could rent a good bike for a week to take to France/Belgium while I do my cycle ride? The Cycle ride starts in England so I would need to rent it here.

I am going to my local bike shop tomorrow to enquire but you guys combined will know more. The ride is in 3 weeks so I need a road bike before then.

Help me BikeRadar your my only hope !

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    That's 50 miles a day, really. You shouldn't need anything too crazy for that. Your LBS should keep you right, but 5 or 6 hundred quid will see you well on your way, especially at this time of year.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - it's not a huge distance, so just stick some road slicks on your MTB and lock out the forks.
  • Thanks ! I'll just covert my MTB for the race, I shall look into getting new wheels / tyres for the race. Ty !
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I cycled from London to Bristol on my Scandal over 2 days with no problems at all when fitted with Continental slick tyres. Yours should hold up fine.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Yep, road tyres on the MTB will make a world of difference and if it's got lockable suspension, lock it out.
    I presume this is not a race, just a distance challenge type event? The MTB should be fine unless everyone else is a cyclist and pushing the pace on road bikes.