180mm Forks

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
What are the options these days?

Don't think I've missed anything below.

No budget at this point, just looking at value for money and things I want in a fork - wide range of adjustments, durability, after sales support, home user serviceability, good weight.... v cost.

36 Float 180 FIT RC2 - Expensive and I'm not a fan of Fox stuff. Light though (although the 2015 fork weight isn't confirmed).
Manitou Mattoc Pro Forks - Bit of an unknown to me, but get a decent review. 1000g lighter than my Domain, but QR15 only so may not be as stiff.
Suntour Durolux - cheap. Good range of adjustments, 700g lighter than the Domain. Struggling to find ones in stock with tapered steered and fixed 180mm (not the travel adjust 140-180mm version).
X Fusion Metric - falls into Fox 36 price range (ish) at £800.
Bos Idylle SC - Can get them at around £800 so competing with the 36 and Metric, but heavier than both.

No Rockshox as they have dropped the Totem it seems, anything in the pipeline?

The Mattoc is good on paper and in reviews until the QR15.
Durolux sounds good, but I've nothing to back that up apart from reading the spec (anyone know what Suntour spare parts sourcing is like?).
The other 3 fall into the same category, IMO the only differential is weight, but they are all heavier than the Mattoc.

Any views opinions?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Suntour didn't get the best review in MBUK, it fell to bits and was a bit crude, but could be a one off.

The Totem is still available from some places - and Fisher always have parts.
  • Id actually droped the totem anyway as its no lighter than the domain, just gets low speed compression.

Had looked at the lyric but I really dont want a shorter fork (which in that sense kinda puts the fox out as the 180mm 36 has the same stack height as a lyric)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where have you seen a 180mm mattoc?
  • Good point, thays 170! Was comparing it to the Lyric I think
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    It's a shame Marzoccchi no longer do the 66 and haven't replaced it in their current line.

The 55 RC3 EVO V.2 Titanium looks like a great fork but only 170mm.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    any good or do you not want the talas?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fox-36-t ... wwodaTAAsg
  • Aye no talas.. would be the rc2 fit all singing dancing thing I want.

The 66 was awesome.. 38mm stantions!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Aye no talas.. would be the rc2 fit all singing dancing thing I want.

The 66 was awesome.. 38mm stantions!

Italian made 2007 66s RC2s were the plushest forks ever! :D

Why can't you do 170mm anyway? A2C?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Totems are still available in plenty of online shops BUT they have the same A-C as most 200mm forks.
    I would look out for a newish used Marzocchi 66 RC3 ti.
    I think I would avoid BOS just because it's far too much to spend on a fork with no UK backup if you have problems.
    There aren't a lot of choices at 180mm.
  • just bought a durolux and reduced it down to 160 for my jekyll its such a great fork so easy to service as the are plenty of vids on how to. parts are easy to find just contact greyville or go to the suntour durolux thread on mtbr they list loads of german websites that stock all the parts for them
  • Yeahthats my thoughts on the BOS tbh, plus i've only heard good things, never had chance to actually try one.

A-C is relatively important as the bike is at a sweet spot atm, so don't really want to mess with it if I can help it. TBH, the Domain is such a good bombproof fork I want to keep it, its just heavy :lol:

Domain and Totem both have a 565mm a-c.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Of your fork choices the Metric all day long. That said, I would probably consider a Vengeance in 170 too if 170s were ok. The mattoc is a great fork (I have some on test right now) but I think its definitely a long travel trail fork, not a short travel monster you seem to be after.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Yeah the metric seems to tick all the boxes!

Although, the 2015 36 Float is orange...ORANGE!