opinions concerning wheels please.

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Im very much an advocate of products that do their job extremely well and with a minimum of fuss, you will have noticed, based upon this premise that I stand right behind Hollowtech II bottom brackets and wouldn't touch bb30 with a 40 foot pole . In the UK unfortunately we don't have roads like those in Majorca and ultimately have roads akin to riding over a corrugated tin roof and the necessary leaving wheels into LBS for truing. At this time my wheels are handbuilt Mavic Open Pro`s with 5700 105 32 spoke front and 36 spoke rear and I use 25mm Continental Gatorskins inflated to 95 psi. My weight is 78kg and I know some would think 32 /36 spokes arrangement may be a bit overkill but Im not a racer and a bulletproof set of wheels for covering 100 mile rides with minimum of fuss and maintenance is highest on my priorities.

When it comes to wheels I look for:

Wheels that are handbuilt types and definitely not factory.
Wheels that don't use anything exotic and parts can be picked up from any LBS, bladed spokes are a no go.
Wheels with good durability and can take pot hole knocks and remain true.
Wheels with good resale should I decide to move onto another pair.
Wheels with quality hubs that are literally fit and forget.
Wheels don't have to be weight weenie light but I wouldn't buy wheels that were obviously boat anchors.
Wheels with a good braking surface that will have a good useable product lifespan.
Wheels that will take up to 36 spokes for strength and durability.

Id be grateful if you could mull this over in your head and your recommendations would be of interest to me.
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    My friend Dave and his wife have just finished crossing of the USA coast to coast with a set of Open PRO on Ultegra 6800 hubs DT revs front DT comp rear... that's not an heavy set, 1750-1800 or so and as you can see it goes a long way even with panniers

http://www.justridingourbikes.com

Hard to beat
    left the forum March 2023
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    Cup & cone or races in the hubs?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Cup & cone or races in the hubs?

I prefer cartridges, mainly because both people and shops can't be bothered to service hubs. Shimano are cup and cone and require a bit of TLC... however the freehub is sealed and does not require service... so there isn't a definite answer on that.
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply Ugo, Im keen to stick a set of truly bulletproof wheels on my bike that perform well and come with minimal maintenance and your input is appreciated. Apart from a few grams are there any other benefits with switching 5700 hubs to 6700 or 6800 types ? I switched my 5700 front deraillure to a new 6700 ultegra one and with credit to the 105 model the difference wasn't exactly obvious.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Ugo, Im keen to stick a set of truly bulletproof wheels on my bike that perform well and come with minimal maintenance and your input is appreciated. Apart from a few grams are there any other benefits with switching 5700 hubs to 6700 or 6800 types ?

5700 and 6700 are virtually the same thing, with the latter having slightly better grade bearings. 6800 are different in that they no longer have the dreaded cone spanners slots but they are adjusted via a ratchet, same thing as the Dura Ace ones, so they are a step up. I have not seen the 5800 yet... on balance the 6800 are worth the extra over the 5700 any day of the week... the 5700 are now a bit obsolete... I have pretty much stopped building them when the 6800 became available last year
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply Ugo, Im keen to stick a set of truly bulletproof wheels on my bike that perform well and come with minimal maintenance and your input is appreciated. Apart from a few grams are there any other benefits with switching 5700 hubs to 6700 or 6800 types ?

5700 and 6700 are virtually the same thing, with the latter having slightly better grade bearings. 6800 are different in that they no longer have the dreaded cone spanners slots but they are adjusted via a ratchet, same thing as the Dura Ace ones, so they are a step up. I have not seen the 5800 yet... on balance the 6800 are worth the extra over the 5700 any day of the week... the 5700 are now a bit obsolete... I have pretty much stopped building them when the 6800 became available last year

Ugo are the 6800 hubs when it comes to the bearing removal and cleaning / regreasing procedures a lot more simplified compared to carrying out the same task on 6700 types ?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    If you look at the bottom of Ugo's posts he has a link to his blog, a lot of information can also be gleaned from cycle clinics website, just riding alongs website, strada wheelbuildings website, harry Rowlands website + basically any wheel builder with online presence. Also a wealth of information on here with a simple use of the search.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ugo are the 6800 hubs when it comes to the bearing removal and cleaning / regreasing procedures a lot more simplified compared to carrying out the same task on 6700 types ?

Not really, it's just simpler to adjust the cones compared to the older cone spanner type 6700
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm glad this exchange wasn't private. I've learned a bit more about wheels (didn't know about the ratchet thing on 6800 hubs for a start).

I've also learned a bit more about some posters on here.
  • Ugo are the 6800 hubs when it comes to the bearing removal and cleaning / regreasing procedures a lot more simplified compared to carrying out the same task on 6700 types ?

Not really, it's just simpler to adjust the cones compared to the older cone spanner type 6700

Ugo does the phootering about with trying to centralise the skewer still apply to the 6800 hubs with the same degree of fiddliness with which it applies to the 5700 hubs ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ugo does the phootering about with trying to centralise the skewer still apply to the 6800 hubs with the same degree of fiddliness with which it applies to the 5700 hubs ?

No idea what you are referring to
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I have some opinions too:
    1- I wouldn't use Shimano cup+cone hubs anymore and rather go to cartridge bearing hubs like Novatec or Miche (cheap but good) or something like that.
    Basically no maintenance and if the bearings wear out replace them for sealed better ones (easy in most cases)
    2-For rims i would never go for Mavic narrow rims anymore but choose a wider rim (17-18mm internal) like Kinlin XC279 or H+ Son Archetype.
    Much stiffer, so you can use 28/24 spokes without any problem with your weight, (32 sp. will do no harm)
    On the wider rim you can drive with at least < 0,5 bar tyre pressure>: better grip in corners, better on bumpy roads,
    without increased rolling resistance.
    25 mm tyres on 15C rims are no good.....
    Standard round 2,0-1,8 DB spokes complete your bombproof wheels.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If your current wheels are bulletproof, why are you changing them?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I've been using 6800 hubs on H+Plus Son TB14s for a good six months and they've handled everything I can throw at them. I'm quite fond of cup-and-cone hubs, though.
  • Thanh55
    Thanh55 Posts: 25
    Hope pro 3 hubs in my bike since July last year, haven't touch them, no play up, still running smoothly. Couldn't go wrong with them :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanh55 wrote:
    Hope pro 3 hubs in my bike since July last year, haven't touch them, no play up, still running smoothly. Couldn't go wrong with them :)

Of course... I bloody recommended and built those... :wink:
  • Thanh55
    Thanh55 Posts: 25
    Thanh55 wrote:

Of course... I bloody recommended and built those... :wink:

Oh yes, A23 rims, hope pro 3 hubs, 28 spokes front and rear. These will last as long as my mortgage ;-)