BB30 question - alternatives with Rotor 3D+ crank

wavefront
wavefront Posts: 397
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a BB30 installed on my Cannondale and run a Power2Max power meter with Rotor 3D+ cranks. I've put up with BB30's for a while (have one on my other bike which has been faultless) having been able to cure all the creaks etc, but now they are becoming very frequent I want to try and fit an alternative BB.

As BB's really confuse me do you know if I can change the BB to something else and still use my existing Rotor 3D+ cranks?

Any recommendations?

(Apologise in advance, I did use the search which shows a bunch of answers but got even more confused!)

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If sticking with a 30mm spindle crank, then you've got little choice. Try cleaning bearings/BB shell and install with Loctite Bearing Fit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I've fitted a rotor 3d+ to a 386 Evo BB I had to buy some spacers which were a ****ing rip off but it's tight and works well. Not sure if you can stick a 386 evo BB into a BB30 frame though??
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Thanks both for the replies.

Monty Dog - yup thought so. Generally loctite and a good clean generally works, but this time around on my Super 6 it hasn't sorted it despite new bearings and a complete strip down. Creaks came back less than a week later! My Synapse has always been easy to cure. Don't mind mechanicals, but I ride/train 12-15 hrs a week, and think my lovely wife is losing her patience with all my repairing and fettling on top of that!

DavidJB - thanks, I'll look into that standard. Seems to be the spindle width is the big difference with spindle being same dia. Simple logic dictates that this may be a route forward - should go and ask the Rotor guys shouldn't I?