Building a 'cheap' race bike

edwardsutton
edwardsutton Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey people (first time posting)!

I'm basically looking at building up a new race bike. I currently race on an ally sportive bike which I have upgraded to 105 and weighs around 11kg. I'm basically after a new carbon road bike with Ultegra. I'm trying to work out if it's possible to do with a budget around the £1100 mark. The ultegra groupset is £480 at best online from what I can find on ribblecycles and now I need to try and see if I can get a carbon frameset for around the £500 mark. Does anyone think this is possible? Perhaps second hand? Ribble seem to have good prices, maybe planet x but I don't like the look of their budget carbon bike. So any frame recommendations? I think until I saved up more money I could use the wheels from my current bike.

Cheers,

Ed

Comments

• mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I was going to suggest just buying a Canyon Ultimate AL, but they are out of stock. Aluminium might be more suited to the rough and tumble of racing, at least when you're starting out.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Depends what time scale you have. If you're willing to wait for some bargains to appear in the classifieds here and on ebay, then it's definitely possible. I built up a Ribble Gran Fondo with ultegra/DA groupset (admittedly 6600/7800 series) and 3T finishing kit for £850.

You can almost certainly get an even better deal going second hand if you have an idea of what you want and are willing to make a few compromises with finishing kit.
  • Depends whether you're including wheels In that price? I'm assuming not, so probably very possible.

Guy on the classifieds was selling a new, unadulterated Foil frameset inc forks, seatpost, headset etc for circa £500.

Things like stems, saddles and even wheels can be had tres cheap from other users.

I just bought a set of used DA 9000 C50 wheels from another forum member for £750. Considering their rrp and the fact they're barely used, that's a great deal.

If you're not in a rush, spend some time on the classifieds here and eBay to find some good bargains.

Edit, just saw your comment re wheels :D
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Buy my CAAD10 Ultegra, with 50mm Token Carbon Tubs. Just under 7.5Kgs. I'm going to advertise it on here once I get some photo's taken.

It's a 56 and I've converted the BB to Shimano BSA 68mm. I can guarantee it will be well in your budget too :D

I race(d) on it but due to family/work/house move I won't' be racing for the foreseeable future…..

[/shamless_plug]
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”