Upgrading Wheels advice

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
When I picked up spec roubaix the sales guy mentioned first thing to do when you have funds is to change the rims.

Does it make that much difference? Came with AXIS 2.0

Looking on eBay I see a fair few Fulcrum s5's rims and it reasonable money (used), would that be a noticeable upgrade and what would be considered a reasonable used price for a good condition set?

Also I see it says Campagnolo or Shimano, do I need to buy Shimano ones as bike has 105 and does cassette from AXIS just get transferred to the Fulcrums? Is there anything else to look at in regards of compatability?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What are you expecting this wheel 'upgrade' to achieve for you?
  • jpower
    I guess weight reduction, more speed
  • imposter2.0
    You might get a small weight reduction, you almost certainly won't get 'more speed' - unless the new wheels encourage you to push harder on the pedals. Would make more sense to fit a pair of lighter, faster rolling tyres in the first instance - depending on what's on there at the moment.
  • jpower
    Came with Spec Espoir Elites 25c. Let me guess get 23c? If so what's good with puncture protection?

Wondering why do most people say change the stock rim what is the benefit?
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    First off, people rarely say to change the rim, the normal advice is to change the wheel. The hub is normally of a level with the rim. Putting enve rims on cheap hubs is a bit of a mismatch.

What do you get by upgrading? You can save a little weight - but be honest, how many of us can lose more weight off ourselves than can possibly be saved on the bike? I know I could lose the weight of a couple of bikes...

You can get more rigid wheels that make the handling more accurate. You can get lighter rims that if you are up to it may feels a little quicker accelerating or going uphill. You can get stronger wheels if you are heavy or have bad roads, you can get wheels you think look better. Hand built wheels are more likely to be repairable if you damage a spoke.

As for Shimano/Campagnolo - that's the fitting for your cassette. You need Shimano.

Paul.

You need to think what you really want out of a set of wheels, then look at what wheels can help achieve what you want. While yo decide, get out and ride.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    cattytown wrote:
    Hand built wheels are more likely to be repairable if you damage a spoke.

With the exception of crazy things like Mad Fiber or Lightweight wheels, any spoke can be replaced, provided you find the correct replacement. If you search hard enough you should be able to source anything that is not too old. The problem is often to find someone who wants to repair a Mavic R-SYS, a DT Tricon or other wheel with unusual construction. Most shops will refuse to do it and sending the wheel to the Service Centre is very costly and time consuming.
    SO, I would not buy factory wheels from the internet, as their support is limited to honouring a warranty, but I would buy them from your local LBS, provided they are able and willing to carry out basic repairs in house. Of course LBS don't do big discounts, normally, but good LBS offer support, which can be invaluable.

Another good piece of advice would be: if you can't call your wife to pick you up in the middle of nowhere, always ride wheels with 28 or more spokes, as you should be able to ride back home on 27 spokes, but you won't be able on 19, 17 or 15 and 23 is very borderline.
    left the forum March 2023
  • jpower
    I promise I am riding as much as I can, already went Sat and Sun for long rides, need rest today to be honest.

Sorry when I said rim is that implying purely rim, I just assumed rim means rim and hub which is what I was getting at here in terms of upgrade. Does that change the answer at all?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I would ride the hell out of the wheels you have got - the more you ride the better idea you get of the sort of wheels you want. A better upgrade would be your tyres - more cost effective and can make a huge difference.
  • imposter2.0
    jpower wrote:

Sorry when I said rim is that implying purely rim, I just assumed rim means rim and hub which is what I was getting at here in terms of upgrade. Does that change the answer at all?

A 'rim' is a rim. A 'wheel' is a rim, hub and spokes. I suspect most were assuming you meant wheels, not rims.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Imposter wrote:
    Would make more sense to fit a pair of lighter, faster rolling tyres in the first instance - depending on what's on there at the moment.

^_^ This is going to be the most viable option if the current tyres are so/so. Tyre changes are often overlooked & compared to a wheel change are a lot less in cost.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • jpower
    Ok apologies, beginners mistake, so I don't mean rim, I'm more specifically referring to fulcrum racing 5 wheelset (shimano fit), seems possible to pick them up pretty cheaply second hand.

Tyres Espoir elite on right now, what options would people suggest?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    jpower wrote:
    Ok apologies, beginners mistake, so I don't mean rim, I'm more specifically referring to fulcrum racing 5 wheelset (shimano fit), seems possible to pick them up pretty cheaply second hand.

Conti GP 4000S II . Special offer on at Probikekit ATM

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/offers/gp40 ... l=thgemail

Personally I'd go for the 25mm option
  • letap73
    jpower wrote:

Just googled Espoir elite and they came up with good reviews - so I probably would not change them.
    When they are worn consider:
    1.Conti GP4000sii.
    2.Michelin Pro4 SC.
    3.Vittoria Corsa evo (summer really).

Look at reviews on wiggle.
  • jpower - most people who ride regularly (4-6 days/week) and do a fair amount of distance (at least 100 to 150 miles/wk) will find upgraded wheels will be stiffer (more efficiently transfer your energy), more compliant (handle better), and have superior hubs (roll smoother) than 'stock wheels' put on new bikes. Almost all new bikes come with wheels that are not at the same performance and quality level as the frame and components. Depending on the model you bought, Roubaix is an expensive comfort-oriented endurance bike yet Specialized typically puts the most basic, low cost stock wheels on them that aren't suited to the comfort/endurance bike design. I agree with your salesperson; first upgrade should be for new wheels, probably a good all-round considering the type of bike you just bought. All due respects, good tires won't cover for an underperforming set of wheels. Steve
  • jpower
    Thanks Steve. So I get out 3 times a week normally and cover just over a 100miles. The roubaix is the Sport Compact so AXIS 2.0 wheels.

I read reviews that the tyre on them are ok so probably wait and wear them down before change. The thought was I could pickup fulcrum 5 for under a £100 (maybe a lot under) so thought that might be a nice cheap and first upgrade. Hence my questions here :-)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    My advice...ride your bike. Any spare money? Buy some decent winter kit.

In the spring, buy some decent new wheels and expect to pay £300+ to make a difference. By then, the tyres will also need replacing so get something zippy like GP4000S or Ultremo ZX.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    By then, the tyres will also need replacing so get something zippy like GP4000S or Ultremo ZX.

Or these... 8)

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... e-tubeless
    left the forum March 2023
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    The ones I got around new year (£190 / 1400 grams) are still holding up from daily use and still spin forever. Must have done at least 300-500 miles on them by now. They are 2/3 of the weight of the ones I took off (a stock Triban 3) and yet, never need truing whereas the cheap heavy wheels sometimes did.

People always look to spend £400-£600 on a lightweight wheelset, sod that. :lol:

The website has changed and I can't find any at £190 now but these £250 ones seem like them...

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/v ... t-2024.htm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Probably ride the stock ones as much as possible over the autumn/winter then buy some shiny new ones when the weather gets nicer in the spring. As mentioned above, spend the cash on some winter kit so that you can keep riding as it gets colder/wetter.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Manc33 wrote:
    The ones I got around new year (£190 / 1400 grams) are still holding up from daily use and still spin forever. Must have done at least 300-500 miles on them by now. They are 2/3 of the weight of the ones I took off (a stock Triban 3) and yet, never need truing whereas the cheap heavy wheels sometimes did......
    With all due respect, I would hope any wheel would still be holding up after 300-500 miles of normal use. I don't do particularly high mileage and I do about 300 miles most months. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a quite a few people on here who do it every week.
  • imposter2.0
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    The ones I got around new year (£190 / 1400 grams) are still holding up from daily use and still spin forever. Must have done at least 300-500 miles on them by now. They are 2/3 of the weight of the ones I took off (a stock Triban 3) and yet, never need truing whereas the cheap heavy wheels sometimes did......
    With all due respect, I would hope any wheel would still be holding up after 300-500 miles of normal use. I don't do particularly high mileage and I do about 300 miles most months. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a quite a few people on here who do it every week.

As above ^^

300 miles is probably a fortnightly average for a 'typical' regular rider, so having a set of wheels that are still functioning normally after 'two weeks' of use is nothing special. I would even hope that they are still good to go after 3,000-5,000 miles...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Manc33 wrote:
    The ones I got around new year (£190 / 1400 grams) are still holding up from daily use and still spin forever. Must have done at least 300-500 miles on them by now. They are 2/3 of the weight of the ones I took off (a stock Triban 3) and yet, never need truing whereas the cheap heavy wheels sometimes did.

People always look to spend £400-£600 on a lightweight wheelset, sod that. :lol:

Those will be the ones with very small bearings and very thin rims suitable only for light people to ride in dry conditions only? Don't get me wrong, I like that sort of wheel enough that I made a set myself (same weight but a more sensible spoke count than the Superstar ones!) but they are hardly the sort of wheel to recommend to someone for any normal use.

Haven't you had them about 6 months? So you are getting about 3 miles a day out of them! Or are you really keeping them out of the wet and not using them daily at all? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jpower
    So I believe I have got myself kitted out for the winter already, time will tell.

Here's what I am looking at, the wheels I buy now eventually become my winter wheels and next spring/summer if budget allows I consider some more serious wheels, so I was looking at the lower end of the price bracket at something like:

http://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-rac ... 63284.html (Bundle deal with Conti Grand Prix GT and tubes)
    OR
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod88905
    OR
    http://www.merlincycles.com/mavic-aksiu ... 58831.html (Bundle with tyres)

The top 2 edge it for, but that purely based on looks, what you say to one of the above over stock wheels? So training and winter wheels will be what they become, is it worthwhile for the money, meaning would I feel the difference?
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Axis 2 wheels weigh about 2000g.

Base spec Roubaix are notoriously under specced in wheels and groupset, and the stock tyres are heavy and wooden feeling

Look for a wheelset around 1500g if you can. Don't faff about buying a half decent wheelset now and other set next year. Buy the best wheels now and use your existing set for winter

Then fit a pair of schwalbe ultremos or one with specialized turbo tubes.

I did this to my roubaix that was fitted with mavic CX p22 and it took about a kilo of weight off

Transformed the bike.
  • ai_1
    If you're sticking in the €200-€300 price range then Fulcrum Racing Quattros are also an option in that might be of interest. Campagnolo Zondas are sometimes heavily reduced and might just squeeze into that price bracket if your lucky.

Fulcrum Quattros:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-qua ... 58465.html
  • jpower
    I think right now sub £250 is what I would like to spend, I have a filtered search:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/wheels/70 ... c=GBP&cr=1

There some with 31-32% discount on them, so if RRP is for real much more wheel then my budget, anyone have time to have a glance at this page and advise what would be best for my money, would like a dish on them just because it looks good :-)

I'm thinking Racing Quattro or Camp Scirocco H35
  • ai_1
    If you do intend to get a more expensive set of wheels in Spring and these will be used primarily as winter wheels then maybe there's no point going beyond something like the Fulcrum Racing 7 bundle. At €192 including ~€70 worth of decent tyres that's pretty good. I've done about 7000km on a set of these wheels with no issues. They're okay for weight but nothing special (1760g claimed). The Quattros are nice looking wheels IMO and will have a small aero benefit although it's debatable whether this is relevant. They're only a fraction lighter (1725g claimed) - just noticed the Quattros are out of stock so may not be an option from Wiggle.
  • jpower
    intent may be there but would be looking at a lot more money too, so can't say it deco will happen, hence I'd like to get the best I can right now, in case spring does not happen.

From reading seems the quattro and H35 are basically the same wheel bar the spoke pattern, going for racing 7 would save me about £70 as I have seen the racing 7 for £120 the h35 fr £189 and quattro £182 (no stock) next best is £212

I'm very much siding towards the campy and awfully tempted to place an order today for the long ride on the weekend.

Last call for advise :-)
  • letap73
    These here:

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id363.html

If its anything like the CERO AR30 then it will be excellent.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the problem is that this thread is going around in circles, as far as I can tell. Most are saying to the the OP "Keep the wheels you have and then spend more in Spring", and yet the OP keeps coming back with another selection of wheels, saying "what about these".

For about £200, the OP can get another pair of wheels to the ones he has. There should be a slight improvement in wheel weight so the bike will feel slightly more responsive although this is unlikely to be measurable if using Strava, etc. In particular, when the rain is lashing down and the wind is blowing, 'nippy' wheels mean nothing.

OP, since you seem determined to buy some new wheels, just pick any of the usual favorites that look nice under £250. Zondas, Fulcrums, Ultegras, Planet X, etc. All of us will slate some and enthuse about others based on very small sample sizes (I would go for Mavic Aksiums personally, and I always value my own opinion :wink: ).