Campag 8 Speed Mech

woolwich
woolwich Posts: 298
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I need a new rear mech for an old 8 speed Campag groupset to replace one that is crash damaged beyond repair, the levers are 8 speed Avanti.
I cannot find any old stock 8 speed campag rear mechs and ebay draws a blank. However the world is full of 9 speed Xenon rear mechs. I think they are compatible with an 8 speed cassette but I would be grateful to have this confirmed before ordering. Thanks
Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
http://locksidebikes.co.uk/

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    No , a 9 speed Campagnolo rear mech is not compatible with 8 speed systems because of the different geometry.
    Maybe there is a workaround with a Shiftmate but that's not cost-effective.
    As by coincidence i have a couple of these things ( 8 sp.mechs) lying around of which i can send one to you. for little money.
    Shipping from the Netherlands wo'nt be that expensive...
  • woolwich
    Thanks Keezx. Could you let me know by pm or here how much you want for one posted and how you would like payment?
    I am repairing the frame for a friend after it got damaged in the crash as well as the mech. As it's a beautiful custom built frame it would be great to return it to him with authentic period parts.

Cheers
  • keezx
    It seems i cannot contact you via pm (maybe because i'm new here).
    So i did look into my workshop and i found 3 8 speed Campa rear mechs:
    1-Short cage with logo faded away (still readible) Avanti or Chorus
    2-Short cage with logo (only Campagnolo, no type), think Avanti
    3-Long cage Mirage.
    All 3 in good working condition, no play.
    15€ per piece netto will do for me.
    Standard postpackidge is 13€ (post.NL) could possibly cheaper, but have to find out.
    Payement by Paypal or Bank.
    You can contact me per E-mail (photo's) if you like.

Cheers, Kees
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I did use an 8 speed Avanti RD on a 10 speed setup and it worked fine, I expect the other way round to work even better due to having more tolerance
    left the forum March 2023
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    A 10 speed shimano 105 rear mech works fine with my 8 speed cassette but i have downtube shifters
  • keezx
    Shimano is different stuff
    8-10 speed derailleurs have the same geometry....
  • woolwich
    Thanks folks. Good to know I have some options.

15 Euros sounds a reasonable deal to keep the bike original though. Even better if we can get the postage down a bit. I sent components to Spain and Sweden recently for under £3.00, I think there has been a bit of a price war in the small parcel area, worth checking. I'll drop you an email. Thanks