Few firsts for me

Tim_jones
Tim_jones Posts: 17
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
Only been riding for four weeks and managed 15 miles at average 15 mph nothing to compare to some of you on here but it's an achievement for me especially given I have Northern Ireland's hilly back lanes to contend with!

First puncture today and now know how hard it is to get the tyre back on round the valve when your at the side of the ride

Expecting the legs to ache tomorrow but the weight is stripping off me, lost nearly 3/4 of a stone in the last four weeks.

Long may it continue - next target 25 miles

Tim

Comments

• Sounds like you're doing really well! How many times a week are you getting out?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Good one, keep it up. :)
  • great news, although if you dont mind me asking what are you doing to have lost that much weight? i cant seem to shift mine at all.
  • Trying for two or three six to ten milers during the week and longer ones at the weekend. Unfortunately I work very long hours during the week so it's all I can manage. I used to be fairly fit and rode sports motorcycles for a long time the weight piled on after I sold the last one last year. Hopefully I can keep it off now! I bought a cheap carrerra tdf from halfords and it seems to be doing the job but it's early days. The only other thing I'm doing is eating a bit healthier but this is outweighed by increased red wine consumption. 49 years old so there's some things I'm not giving up lol
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You need to have your first clipless moment now
  • Pedals are sat beside me and shoes ordered!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    great news, although if you dont mind me asking what are you doing to have lost that much weight? i cant seem to shift mine at all.

This:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Plus an increase in the number of longer rides.

I've lost a stone and half since the start of June and it seems to be staying off.
  • Another first - got some clip less pedals and was getting on fine with them but thought they were a bit loose and so tightened them up. Then two days later went for aride forgetting I had tightened them, this was fine and they felt better. Right up to the point were I got back without stopping, reached the garage and went to click out a pedal, Which achieved nothing!! I then felt the balance go and went down with a crash, managing to save the bike from the ground I might add!

Lesson learnt - test any adjustment before use. It was funny and just so glad no neighbours were looking

Tim
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Tim_jones wrote:
    Another first - got some clip less pedals and was getting on fine with them but thought they were a bit loose and so tightened them up. Then two days later went for aride forgetting I had tightened them, this was fine and they felt better. Right up to the point were I got back without stopping, reached the garage and went to click out a pedal, Which achieved nothing!! I then felt the balance go and went down with a crash, managing to save the bike from the ground I might add!

Lesson learnt - test any adjustment before use. It was funny and just so glad no neighbours were looking

Tim

Welcome to the club. It's not a very exclusive club, I'm afraid.....there's loads of us :D
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Clipless pedals. My next step (only on a hybrid not a road bike). Got cheapo aldi shoes in case I don't get on but just need to get the pedals (one sided with a flat the other I reckon for those nip down the shops without spd shoes rides).

I remember a mate years ago who got his first toeclip pedals that came with his second hand road bike. Those pedals before clipless with the straps. He did the equivalent and rode off into town and tightened the straps so his foot was tight in. Somehow the traffic lights and the junctions were all clear right until he got to the busiest part of town. Then red light followed by this guy falling sideways onto the pavement. Took a big hit with both feet fixed tight into his pedals. Lesson learnt too. I was lucky and did that but ended up being able to stop against a wall with a nice controlled lean.

BTW can I say 15 miles at 15mph after 4 weeks. That is a good start I reckon. You thinking of trying TT with a local club by any chance? Suggest you look up a local club and try to find some local TT routes. Time the odd run on that and compare yourself against the last club TT held there. That is a bit later I reckon but I found it a good motivator to get faster and fitter.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Tim_jones wrote:
    ...now know how hard it is to get the tyre back on round the valve
    This is the easiest bit. Next time start at the valve; slip the tyre on at the valve, get a few inches either side of it seated on the rim then push the valve up into the tyre. The bead should now sit nicely where it should be in the rim, then let the valve go and it'll all be in the right place.
  • Think I'm a bit old for TT rides and too many bottles of wine, but I'm tickling along and enjoying it still curse when someone passes me though!! You just can't stop being competitive no matter how old and unfit, I will learn eventually
  • I'm 62, been riding again for 6 weeks now, after a gap of 47 years. Brought a road bike from Halfords (mmm). When I started, a ride of 6 miles would be all I could do. Now, did 24 miles yesterday in 1hr 37 mins, I ride every day, average speed is now around 15 mph with a top speed on the flat of around 25. Haven't lost any weight yet (12st at 5' 7"). I have type 2 diabetes, I've been taking the pills for 4 years now and they have been screwing me up so I've stopped. I've replaced them with bike ridding, seems to be working. I keep an excel log of all rides showing all aspects of the ride so that I can see the progress. It would be nice to ride out with someone of similar ability. Anyone live near Sutton Bridge?
  • I suppose an update is in order, if anyone's interested, if not don't read it! I've been trying at this sport now for about a year, charged the carrera for a giant defy 1 back in April and what a difference, riding with a friendly local club now and recently took part in 'lap of the lough' 85 miles at an average 16.9 also bought a garmin 500 which if I had remembered to stop on the 85 miler during the lunch break I wouldn't have tracked me moving around and getting a 4.4 mile average for a five mile segment. Ah well live and learn. Only posting this for all you starters that are thinking age or lifestyle might prevent you starting to build up the miles - go fo it
  • ^^
    Always good to hear from someone that has made a big difference to themselves.

I can't manage more than about 16 or a bit less over that sort of distance (not that I do 85 miles very often atm), and I'm a similar age (52) and been riding for three years now.

So a good, maybe very good, improvement in a year.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?