1 x11 vs 2x10

kesher
kesher Posts: 44
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking about buying either the Whyte 129TS 2x10 ( 36-22 chain rings) and 11x36 cassette;

or the T-129 Works SCR 1x11 (32 chain ring) and 10-42 cassette.

However, I'm concerned about a possible lack of gearing range with the 1x11 setup, particularly the lowest gear. I would use the bike at trail centres. What do you think?

THANKS

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Best thing to do is workout which gear ratios you normally use, especially those used most often. I did this and chose 2 x 10 as I spend most time in the large chain ring but still need the small chain ring for long very steep climbs. I do mainly XC riding but also red routes at trail centres. My wife uses a 3 x 10 as it suits her riding better.
  • baz4388
    baz4388 Posts: 13
    Hi
    I have a Norco sight carbon with 1x11 drive chain. I had the same apprehension when i was looking, but having done cannock chase without even using the lowest 2 gears its soon gone. obviously its going to depend on factor such as rider fitness and weight of the bike but unless you are riding some very steep accents the i can't see you having a problem with the 1x11
    There are other things to look at when comparing those 2 bikes though as the works scr model has a much better fork in the pike. personally i don't know weather the sram guide rs breaks are any better than the elixir 5s but the 5s don't get very good reviews from what I've seen.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You can always drop a smaller front ring on to give you the ratios. A 28t front to 42t rear is equivalent to 22t to 36t.

I swapped to 1x10 recently and run 30t front to a 42t range expander rear and dont seem to have a problem but your fitness and riding needs are unknown to me. If you find yourself struggling to winch up a hill in a 22/36 ratio then losing that gear is going to hurt for sure.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    If it's a bike for trail centres then make sure the low gear is low enough, the high gear shouldn't be a problem at trail centres
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use a 34t front and 11-40t rear cassette using a range expander. For me, thats all the gears I ever need. I wouldn't go back to a double.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I ride 34 front and 11-36 rear, no problems getting up the very steep local hills, I spin out on some of the longer descents though.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • kesher
    kesher Posts: 44
    I would say I have a high level of fitness. My current bike is a Carrera Centos 13 although I have done some upgrades on it including changing the forks and pedals so it's a lighter bike; but I still struggle on certain trails with it's lowest gear being F22 x R32 (26" wheels) which is just slightly higher than the 129T S 2x10 F22 x R36 (29" wheels).

On the Carrera, I've ridden nearly every trail centre in Wales and the vast majority I can manage. It's just now and again a certain short, very steep section of a particular trail will prove too much and leave me wishing I had at least F22 x R34 (26" wheels) instead.

The lowest gear on the T-129 Works SCR 1x11 is equivalent to F22 x R26 on my Carrera. So on paper the T-129 Works SCR looks like it's not geared lowered enough. Although actually riding the T-129 Works SCR up steep inclines may prove to be easier as it's a much better bike than my Carrera.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think once you have built a little extra leg strength it actually takes less or no more energy to climb in a higher gear than to spin up in a granny ring.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    1x11 for me, 32t ring (29" wheels). I came from 26" wheels 1x10 with 36t and 11-36, so find it fine. The extra range of the 10-42 cassette is very noticeable, but I find the 10t a big jump from the 11, I rarely use it frankly, which is good, as it'll probably wear out in no time!

If you've got a 'high level of fitness' you'll be fine on a single ring. Everything at trail centres is designed to be entirely rideable after all, you're not exactly encountering near vertical ascents!