Cannondale Synapse Tiagra or Boardman Road Comp

adbanno
adbanno Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi there. I'm buying my first road bike through the Halfords Cycle to Work Scheme and I've narrowed my choice down to:

Boardman Road Comp http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... -road-comp
Cannondale Synapse Tiagra 6 http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cannon ... Z4?wmp=230

Both cost £700.

The Road Comp got a glowing review from Cycling Weekly with just a couple of minor gripes. I can't find a review of the 2014 Tiagra though a Cycling weekly review of an earlier model was glowing.

The big thing in the Tiagra's favour is it's RRP of £950 - but I have found it for £700. This suggests it's higher spec than the Boardman, whose RRP is £700.

Were you in my shoes, which one would you opt for?

Thanks in advance for your help. Adam

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited August 2014
    Cannondale is 20 gears with BB30 bottom bracket which is prone to creaking and other issues according to threads on here but do a search and check them out as many have them and seem happy with them.

Boardman is 18 gears with square taper bottom bracket according to spec I have seen and also gets good write ups.

IMHO you need to research and go and try them, you may decide straight away after you have tried them, no one but you can decide in the end.

My choices would not include these two but where bikes are concerned we are all after different things with regards looks, gearing etc.

Good hunting. :)
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Yep spec suggests the Synapse, but really the most important thing is the fit. Get testing!

Also if you are able, check out the Giant Defy 1 and Felt Z85. Each with 105 gearing and 'relaxed' geometry for 700 or under.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would try them as road bike sizing needs to be quite accurate even before you begin adjusting the setup. My wife ended up with a synapse after test rides as it was a good size compared to other bikes and felt better. Other bikes of similar spec were cheaper but there is more to a bike than a spec sheet.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    OP link here to Cannondale BB30 issues.
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12979598
  • adbanno
    adbanno Posts: 7
    Thanks peeps, very very useful replies - you all clearly know a lot more than me about bikes! I'll give them both a try and hopefully one will stand out. Leaning towards the Cannondale for the spec but the BB30 stuff is concerning...

Thanks again!
    Adam
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    There's something about the Synapse I just don't like

However, I had a CAAD 8 which was a great bike

It's just a hill. Get over it.