Help Completely messed my brake cylinders

mclaren1986
mclaren1986 Posts: 23
edited August 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I have avid brakes, they were dirty so I took out the pads burned the crap off them sanded down a layer then before I put in I pressed the brake a few times to bring the cylinder out to check they were coming out evenly. They came out that much that when I tried to push one in, the other one came back out. It wouldn't let me push both at the same time. That was stupid bit number one (pressing level).

Stupid bit number 2
I then though ahh maybe there's too much pressure so I opened up the hydraulic fluid nipple and let a tiny dribble. Icould then put my pads back in but my level no longer presses the cylinder against the pads.

Have I done serious damage or do I just need to bleed?

Either way, I will be paying a professional when bank holiday ends!

Please helped

Comments

• PS My bike was upside down at the time
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You need a bleed kit and to go through the bleed process, this also refills them.

But given the ability demonstrated so far, perhaps take the. To a shop to do it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have learned a few things by trial and error but I just want to get back on the hills asap so will take it to the shop.