Garmin Edge 200. Can't send courses

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
I bought a garmin edge 200 couple of weeks ago. Syncs fine through garmin express and rides upload fine, but when I try to send a course created in Garmin Connect, I get something like 'no compatible device found'.

Anyone else experienced this an if so how did you overcome?

I am using a Mac. OS up do date

Tried emailing garmin twice now. No reply (nor have they answered phone yet)

Cheers

M

Comments

• I use a Mac too. Download your route to a gpx file and copy it to new files on your garmin.
    Specialized Roubiax elite
    Pinarello Uno
    Shwin MTB

http://www.strava.com/athletes/hughes_terry
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Re: Garimin edge 200 problems. Can't send courses

Postby Qube » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:21 pm
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a reply from Garmin.

I believe they are working on the "Send to Device" function at the moment as some devices (200/500/510) are having problems receiving the data.

Some users are commenting also that the "Send to Device" button does nothing at all.

You could always manually export I suppose?
  • markiegrim
    Cheers both

Assume I'm an IT idiot. Does that basically mean there is a down load function in Connect and I then find on my hard drive and kind of drag n drop to my device?
  • roux_guy
    roux_guy Posts: 88
    Export your course as a GPX file. Connect your Edge 200 and wait until the computer finds it. Open up the device in My Computer (or equivalent) and find a folder called 'New Files'. Cut and paste, or drag, the GPX file into the New Files folder. On the device, select 'Courses' and select the ride.
  • markiegrim
    Ok. Cheers for that. I'll give it a go
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Never been able to do this on my 500
  • markiegrim
    OK. So I looked for possibility to export a course as a gpx from Connect to my hard drive and could see nothing obvious at all. Just the "send to device button" which is giving me the grief

So I switched to "classic view" and then was able to send to device perfectly fine

Trouble is, if I understand right, access to the "classic view" will not last forever, with Garmin due to remove at some point. Lets hope they sort this issue out as, otherwise, can't see any other way to send courses to device
  • qube
    In Garmin Connect, there is a button called "Export"

Click this. If you're using a Mac, it should automatically pop up in your Downloads folder as a TCX/GPX file depending on how you exported it.

Connect the 200. Mac sees it as an external drive. now just drag said TCX/GPX file into the "New Files" folder on the 200.

On your 200, make the imported file a course using the "Make a Course" button. I don't know how it would look on your 200 but it will be on the ride summary page somewhere.

Hope this helps.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Alternatively, create your route on Strava and export it to your device from there.
    On a Mac select course (after you've created it of course) and click export. It will go to your download folder.
    Go to the trash can icon and when it appears select your device. You may have to expand the list by clicking on the Garmin name in order to see the New Files location.
    Go to the trash can icon again and when it appears select Downloads.
    Select your file from the downloads list and drag it to the folder New Files on your device.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • markiegrim
    Thanks both

Qube - Plain fact is I cannot see an export "button" in Connect or any other way of exporting. It may be that I am simply missing it - wouldn't be the first time!... are you able to describe where this button is hiding?

Plithy - Yes I tried Strava - that exports fine and my 200 also finds the course in Courses when I drag to "New Files"...seems I dont need to do any more than that. so Strava will serve as a back up option
  • qube
    No worries... if you open your workout, you should see a header that looks like this:

Untitled1_zps5721d8ec.jpg

The export button is there
  • markiegrim
    Yes cheers for that - I see it in the "classic" view - but not in Garmin's new "Modern" view...and my fear is we will be stuck with only the latter at some point. Seems nuts that Garmin may have removed the facility to export manually from the Modern view

If I use the old "classic" view, the "send to device" btton works for me anyway

thanks though