Waterproof jacket

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a waterproof as winter approaches...
My budget is up to £80

It needs to be waterproof and reasonably breathable
Doesn't have to be the thinnest and a jacket that holds a little bit of warmth would be good as I can then wear it with a thin base layer
Not fussed about a load of pockets as my shorts have plenty
Again not fussed about a hood as I probably wouldn't use it when riding, but not bothered either way

I like the look of the Polaris Summit
The Royal Matrix looked good to but seems virtually out of stock, the Alpine Storm looks nice but my be a bit too big and warm for what I want

Thanks

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Mayhem. Should be able to get one for just about your budget.
  • ej2320
    I'll take a look, got a mayhem jersey which is good value
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've always liked Dare2B jackets. I've got two waterproof's (one a normal one and one a pack away), a fleece lined soft shell and a fleece from them and they're all great and I bought them all for £80 (the normal waterproof was £30, the soft shell was £30 and the pack away and fleece were £10 each).

I sweat buckets but still find them breathable enough and they've all proved to be tough. I've had all of them for several years now and they've been crashed in, worn a lot both riding and casually and washed a lot. None of them are showing any signs of giving up. For comparison I had quite a nice Raceface jacket but the zip on that gave up after about a year and is now for uplift days only as my jacket I don't mind getting ruined.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I have a dhb EQ 2.5......

Hasn't let any water in yet and summer was over up here a long time ago.

Quite breathable as well. Also packs up small enough to stuff under the back of the jersey when and if it ever stops raining.

Pretty good for 50 quid.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you look in the sales there are various more expensive makes at reduced prices. The wife got her gore jacket with two thirds off, just keep your eye out.
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    Best you can buy ATM is haglofs puls in cotswold sale £85.

Gore tex active, no hood.

I have the hooded version as this one wasn't on sale wen I was buying.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I have the Royal Matrix but it doesn't have pit zips so not really that breathable.

I'm waiting on a Dakine Caliber to replace it. It was £60 reduced from £100 at CycleSurgery, but looks like it may have been last one in stock. It should be on sale elsewhere though, and sounds like it would tick all your boxes.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ej2320
    is the Dakine Caliber waterproofed? I just doesn't mention it on the website
  • ej2320
    Ignore that ^ Just seen it is
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Been Using the Mayhem for a year or so in the good Scottish summer/winter...Great jacket and it was £80
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • ej2320
    Shortlisted a few
    Altura Mayhem
    Polaris Summit
    Madison Addict
    Dakine Caliber

The mayhem looks good but may be a bit too warm?
  • CitizenLee
    ej2320 wrote:
    Shortlisted a few
    Altura Mayhem
    Polaris Summit
    Madison Addict
    Dakine Caliber

The mayhem looks good but may be a bit too warm?

That was pretty much my shortlist, minus the Madison as I hadn't seen that one.

Reason I went for the Dakine, apart from liking the styling, was I've used their bags for bikes, snowboarding and camera gear for years and they've lasted really well and are all still going. I'm hoping the jacket will too. Should be here today.

I think any of the above will be great though ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ej2320
    yeah Dakine seems like quality kit, let me know what the sizing is like and what your initial thoughts are
  • CitizenLee
    ej2320 wrote:
    yeah Dakine seems like quality kit, let me know what the sizing is like and what your initial thoughts are

Will do mate, although sadly it hasn't turned up as expected. Hopefully tomorrow :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • ej2320
    Has it arrived yet?
  • CitizenLee
    Haha, not yet! I got a text from the courier earlier to say it's been held up, so looks like tomorrow!

See what happens when you don't order from CRC? :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Bontrager ones are really, really good but you do pay for them. Completely water proof, very light and breathable. They are fitted too so no excess material flapping about.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • ej2320
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Haha, not yet! I got a text from the courier earlier to say it's been held up, so looks like tomorrow!

See what happens when you don't order from CRC? :D

Well actually my CRC order has been held up and will take an extra week.. :)
  • ej2320
    Well in the end I went for the Dakine that Lee ordered.. got it from the Cycle Surgery for £60 like Lee and it arrived today

I'm really impressed, it feels really well made and is sort of half way between a hardshell and softshell.. I ordered the Polaris summit but sent it back, it was a bit too short at the front and felt like it didn't have enough stretch and room to move in. I went for the large in the Dakine and it's a perfect fit, ideal length and a loose fit without being baggy.. Only negative is the hood isn't detachable as it's quite big being designed to fit over a helmet but won't be too much of an issue, looking forward to getting out in the rain :lol:
  • CitizenLee
    ej2320 wrote:
    Well in the end I went for the Dakine that Lee ordered.. got it from the Cycle Surgery for £60 like Lee and it arrived today

I'm really impressed, it feels really well made and is sort of half way between a hardshell and softshell.. I ordered the Polaris summit but sent it back, it was a bit too short at the front and felt like it didn't have enough stretch and room to move in. I went for the large in the Dakine and it's a perfect fit, ideal length and a loose fit without being baggy.. Only negative is the hood isn't detachable as it's quite big being designed to fit over a helmet but won't be too much of an issue, looking forward to getting out in the rain :lol:

God damn, I ordered mine from them last week and it's still not here! :cry:

Glad you like it though mate, I went for the large too so hoping the fit is good without being too fitted! How packable does it seem?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • ej2320
    edited August 2014
    And I thought my couriers were bad!

Yeah I really like the fit, it's the prefect cut IMO.. Not really baggy but has enough room to ride in and has some stretch to it. I'm just over 6ft and the length is good. It will easily fit in my backpack, rolls up quite small.. I also get the impression it won't get really clammy like some jackets which is nice
  • Qube wrote:
    I have a dhb EQ 2.5......

Hasn't let any water in yet and summer was over up here a long time ago.

Quite breathable as well. Also packs up small enough to stuff under the back of the jersey when and if it ever stops raining.

Pretty good for 50 quid.

I bought one of these last month for £48. Looks to be really good quality, i.e. well made and finished. Not tested it for waterproofness yet, not had chance. A lot of reviews seem to recommend it for winter only, but although I find it warm, I reckon I can get use our of it most of the seasons, other than summer (too warm for summer, even if wet).

My only gripe, and its similar to the much lighter weight DHB Jacket I have. Despite measuring up and having good length on the front and arms, the bottom at the rear is too short IMO, should cover a bit more of my arse to prevent spray getting through! Most clothes/kit fits me spot on, DHB jackets seem to be a bt skimpy at the back, buy happy with it for the price paid.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Looks good, got a few of their t shirts and like them, good price too, pity they don't have any large left.
  • CitizenLee
    ej2320 wrote:
    And I thought my couriers were bad!

Yeah I really like the fit, it's the prefect cut IMO.. Not really baggy but has enough room to ride in and has some stretch to it. I'm just over 6ft and the length is good. It will easily fit in my backpack, rolls up quite small.. I also get the impression it won't get really clammy like some jackets which is nice

Got my Dakine yesterday and its a great fit. Nice and light too. Looking forward to testing it on the bike :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • ej2320
    Yep, wore mine today.. only had some very light rain and it did it's job
    Was about 16/17 degrees and I was a little hot on the climbs but it cooled itself on the descents with the vents open and I had my jersey on underneath

I'd recommend it!