Wheel rub on inside of fork

chemicalviking
chemicalviking Posts: 284
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Afternoon all :-) just wondering if any of you have seen anything like this ?
23667DFD-DE7F-4AE3-8418-799129E30DB7.jpg

New campag scirocco's fitted 2 weeks ago , had no issues with previous standard giant wheelset , but the tyre has rubbed the paint so much the carbon is showing ?
Is it a case of not setting up correctly on my part or does the wheel need truing ?

Thoughts please.

Comments

• You can easily tell if the wheel needs truing - just spin the front wheel and see how the rim moves relative to the brake blocks. My money would be on the tyre being at fault - either a bulge in the side wall or a really big sprue.
  • Cheers , got a spare tyre off a mate so will try that. Got a 75 mile sportive on the 31st so this is the last problem I need.
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Are the new wheels wider? I was trying to migrate to 25mm tyres on my bike but found that on regular width rims the tyres only just fit in my forks and rubbed in certain parts. With the 23mm rims on my other wheels there was just no chance since the tyre sat fatter.

I'm sticking to 23mm tyres, no choice now...
  • Nope , no tyre change still runnjng 23 mm . I've got a new tyre on now , going for a club ride tomorrow so will test it out . If it's still and issue I've booked it in to the lbs on Wednesday to check the wheel and true it if required .
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    No, I said is the *wheel* wider...? Probably not, but something to consider, like I say it affected me!
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Could it be that the wheel hadn't been seated in the drop outs properly?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ber Nard wrote:

+1 - if the wheel was buckled, the OP would likely have noticed pulsing during braking.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

+1 - if the wheel was buckled, the OP would likely have noticed pulsing during braking.

I'm casting my vote with you guys and the wheel not seated correctly. Although it could be a badly dished wheel, but that would be pretty extreme.